Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190287 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1305 on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »

Well, they are.

Also, at least where I live that usage would be very misleading - around here the Irishman's interpretation is the prevalent one.
Relax, I'm just teasing you.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 21, 2014, 04:45:06 pm »

I'll identify as a dumbass atheist.

I'm certain there's no god. I think that given my experiences and the information available to me now, I've come to the most reasonable position. I have not been given any serious reason to doubt this position. I don't think my viewpoint is superior to anyone else's though - everyone should come to their own conclusion.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 21, 2014, 04:56:35 pm »

I'm probably more "gnostic" than agnostic atheist, but as I've said before, I come at it from a different way.

I don't know if there is or is not a deity or creator or anything like that, but I DO know that, if there is, he's not worthy of worship in any form or fashion, given the crap she has done to us and the world. They're a cock, and I want to kick it in the nuts or nut-like equivalent.

So basically, I'm gnostic atheist in regards to a good god, i.e. almost every religions god and/or gods. Blind-idiot god, or actively harmful one, I'm agnostic about, but I lean towards "probably not."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1308 on: October 21, 2014, 06:52:40 pm »

Code: [Select]
[color=transparent]Relax, I'm just teasing you.[/color]
:P

Anyway, I'd like to ask everyone what your opinions on baptism are. Specifically regarding baptising children/infants as opposed to waiting for them to grow up and decide for themselves.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:54:42 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 21, 2014, 07:22:06 pm »

I don't believe in baptizing someone before they are of an age of understanding it.
They need to know what is happening. Though before that age they are basicaly given a free ride to heaven if they die. BASICALLY

Baptism isn't salvation though, it's just an "outward showing of an inward reality" as my church says.
It's basically just publicly announcing your salvation to everyone, not just the church since anyone in the community can go and watch.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 21, 2014, 07:25:06 pm »

I don't believe in baptizing someone before they are of an age of understanding it.
They need to know what is happening. Though before that age they are basicaly given a free ride to heaven if they die. BASICALLY

Baptism isn't salvation though, it's just an "outward showing of an inward reality" as my church says.
It's basically just publicly announcing your salvation to everyone, not just the church since anyone in the community can go and watch.

At what age would you consider being of an age able to understand it? If one were to say full brain maturity, it'd have to be age 24 or something.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 21, 2014, 07:27:56 pm »

At what age would you consider being of an age able to understand it? If one were to say full brain maturity, it'd have to be age 24 or something.

Changes from person to person

Basicaly if you can be read something and give a respons back that is inteligable you're probably good
Even a nod would count though verbally answering is best
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 21, 2014, 07:29:35 pm »

Do you see any parallel between consent to being baptised and other ages of consent (sexual relationships etc.), Cryxis? If they're different, why?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 21, 2014, 07:35:13 pm »

In my church, we believe that baptism (and the age of accountability) occurs at 8, although people with mental disorders are except from the need for baptism (and any of a bunch of similar things). We also believe that infant baptism is morally reprehensible.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 21, 2014, 07:36:19 pm »

In my church, we believe that baptism (and the age of accountability) occurs at 8, although people with mental disorders are except from the need for baptism (and any of a bunch of similar things). We also believe that infant baptism is morally reprehensible.

Why morally reprehensible?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 21, 2014, 07:39:58 pm »

We also believe that infant baptism is morally reprehensible.
In Catholicism it is exactly opposite: Since baptism is needed for salvation (at least that's the traditional interpretation), a child must be baptised as soon as possible in case something happens to it. This was especially relevant in the days of high infant mortality: Weak children were baptised with great urgency to make sure they'd be saved, and anything less than that would be a humonguously immoral act towards the child, namely denying it eternal life.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 21, 2014, 07:49:14 pm »

As far as my family sees it. Baptism should occur whenever a person feels ready, knowing well what it means.
Can be at any age, from teens to some time during adulthood or later. Things work a bit differently back home in Greenland.
Never have I met an intolerant christian in the town I grew up in.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »

In Catholicism it is exactly opposite: Since baptism is needed for salvation (at least that's the traditional interpretation), a child must be baptised as soon as possible in case something happens to it. This was especially relevant in the days of high infant mortality: Weak children were baptised with great urgency to make sure they'd be saved, and anything less than that would be a humonguously immoral act towards the child, namely denying it eternal life.

^This. Baptism is done as quickly as possible and the child is given the CHOICE of whether or not to continue down the path of the religion later, at Confirmation[Or before.]. There's a large difference between the two. During Baptism, your guardian is asked permission. During Confirmation, YOU are asked permission. And you could technically say no[Although usually, if you don't want to be Confirmed, you don't go through with the thing anyways. I always wondered what would happen if the priest asked "Do you reject Satan and all his works?" and they said "Nope".]. People who join the church later have both at once, since the dual ceremonies are not necessary for someone who wasn't Baptized as a child.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 21, 2014, 08:02:10 pm »

As far as my family sees it. Baptism should occur whenever a person feels ready, knowing well what it means.
Can be at any age, from teens to some time during adulthood or later. Things work a bit differently back home in Greenland.

That's the conventional Protestant viewpoint on baptism.  It's basically a public expression of faith.  There were no infants baptized in the Bible.  Also, since Jesus was baptized, it's hard to say that baptism is necessary for salvation.  Then there was the thief on the cross, who was not baptized and yet was saved. 

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: October 21, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »

The idea in my church is that baptism is part of formally entering the church, and that children who die before eight years old are saved automatically.

Also, yes, I've seen eight-year-olds decide not to get baptized before, even if their family wants them to.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 185