Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190605 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #975 on: October 06, 2014, 08:05:03 am »

I kinda' hope I do, honestly. Don't expect anything to happen but oblivion, but I've been hopeful there's an afterlife for a long time -- and as they go Hell would be more in line with my desires for it than other christian afterlife descriptions. Considerably more likely to find the means to shank that jackass YWHW that way -- heaven would just strip out the part of my soul/mind that holds that little core of infinitely burning conceptual hatred for creator divinities, by all accounts I've heard. Probably knife most of the saints and a bucket list of the angels in the process as well. Don't want happiness, want revenge for the suffering of my people -- and if an omnipotent creator deity exists, or even divine governing forces in general, they are firmly to blame for all the shit humanity has gone through and deserve an eternity of a knife between the proverbial ribs. Little bit of eternal torture would be a small price to pay for proper renumeration.

... but nah, no fear of death. It holds either hope (of proper revenge) or peace (nothing at all). Fear of dying, sure, 'cause that tends to hurt mightily and I guess it would bother other people, but what comes after ain't no thing.

Though with the afterlife thing, what does the biblical text actually say on the subject? Last I half-heartedly checked it's pretty vague on all of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 06, 2014, 08:32:29 am »

If we could not have a Pascal's Wager thing happen, since that's the most overplayed, sophomoric, and absolutely mind-numbing conversation you could have about religion, that'd be great.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 06, 2014, 08:55:44 am »

The main difficulty I find with the claim that death leads to permanent non-existence is the fact that in an infinite amount of time, the chances of something ceasing to exist for eternity approach zero for the same reasons that one has been brought into existence in the first place, and for such a thing to be a reality, there would have to be some sort of objective law preventing an "extinguished" object, be it a consciousness, a soul, or whathaveyou from being reinitialized. Now, there's a chance that such a law could arise by chance, if one indeed goes by the belief that ALL existence is determined by an RNG down to a metaphysical level, but that also approaches the possibility of said enforcer of the law being generated intelligent to some definition, and better yet, another force being generated in order to either consciously or unconsciously attempt to undue such a law, for whatever reason. It would cause the possibilities for reality to decrease at an infinite rate, at an increasingly expanding rate if more were generated, making some things genuinely impossibly in the theoretical multiverse (assuming such exists, or if there is even a meaningful distinction to be made) even WITH changes to the laws of physics accounted for, though the significance of such an event is debatable as there are still theoretically an infinite amount of possibilities no matter how many become voided by "existence voiding machines" (for lack of a better term), even though some of those possibilities become impossible, and there would be little saying that said impossibilities won't be overwritten anyways, as absolutes haven't technically been proven yet.

Note that I'm a Catholic, though I've spent quite some time pondering the theoretical properties of a soul (or whatever is trendy to call it these days) and what such a thing even means in the breadboard that is existence. Sorry if it appears that what I'm saying is rambling, since looking at it, I think it's rambling.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 06, 2014, 09:03:15 am »

And I'm not even speaking about the possiblity of a "god community" universe, where the one true god was actually different in the old testament, new testament and Koran hence the need for a new prophet each time. The first one could, for some intrinsic reason hate lobster and pork, while the second hated neither, and the last one hated pork and alcohol.

Some Christian think it's ok to be homosexual, and they are going to hell or purgatory, according to Roman catholics. Likewise, some Chrisitans belived that killing in the name of God was A-OK, which was confirmed by the pope,... so either they were right, or you are. One of the two will die in error, here.

Did you just compare the universe to a succession fort?

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 06, 2014, 09:16:18 am »

From what I was taught, God does not punish ignorance, no matter how much you might want him to. In other words, so long as something is not done with actual malicious/sinful intent, he does not damn the performer of the action, right down to worshiping a different religion. In other words, the worst that a person from another sect is going to get, if he/she genuinely, truly believed they were serving out God's will to the best of their ability, they will not go to the fires of Hell, and in many cases are given a chance to learn through Purgatory before ascending into Heaven as per standard.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 06, 2014, 09:18:55 am »

Ya, I know Catholicism works the same way. If you have not been enlightened on the one true God and his son and the whole deal, you're fine.
I, on the other hand, am pretty doomed.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:24 am »

I'm pretty doomed even considering that, because I'm in Frumple's boat. God's a dick.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 06, 2014, 10:39:01 am »

Also, not sure there's much in the bible regarding Hell. Dante's Inferno is sort of the standard guide to hell, but it's really just bible Fan-fiction. A lot of our perceptions of Christianity/Catholicism/Whatever come from it and Paradise Lost actually.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:08 am »

It wasn't just Bible fanfiction, it was Bible fanfiction wherein he inserted his political enemies (dude had been exiled) and made them suffer various horrible fates.

Inferno was good, but the other two were really boring.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 06, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »

Bertrand Russell: "When I die, I shall rot."

There is no after life. If there is, it's most likely not going to be the one outlined in the bible, but if it is, then yes I'm screwed. Eternal damnation because I don't believe everything shoved down my throat by culture and upbringing.

Wayda go, Free Will. You suck.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 06, 2014, 03:16:47 pm »

Wrongly attributed to Marcus Aurelius, but whatever - the sentiment is spot on:

This is a blank sig.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #986 on: October 06, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »

That's not a picture of Marcus, either, IIRC.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 06, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »

That's not a picture of Marcus, either, IIRC.

Well, that's just appropriate.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:16 pm »

Ya, I know Catholicism works the same way. If you have not been enlightened on the one true God and his son and the whole deal, you're fine.
That seems a little at odds with what Paul says in his epistle to the Romans: "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that [the non-believers] are without excuse."

Inferno was good, but the other two were really boring.
Never read The Divine Comedy, but Paradise Lost is pretty good.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 07, 2014, 09:11:36 am »

Christians/religious people, are you still afraid of death despite belief in the afterlife? If so, why?
Non-religious/atheist people, are you afraid of death? If not, how did you get over your fear?
I believe in reincarnation, so for me, death isn't frightening, (it would actually be a needed part of the advancement of one's being) but I'd still like to live a bit longer.
I have friends, and other things, and it would suck to have to start again, when there's still knowledge in this life to be learned.

Also, Frumple would be a good sith.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 185