Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190606 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #960 on: October 05, 2014, 10:41:23 pm »

But that seems somehow worse because you're attempting to create a sort of horrifying secular teleology and overlaying it on your life like a video game GUI (in place of the old religious teleology). Instead of worrying about whether you're doing X or Y thing wrong, you now worry about whether you're doing X or Y thing fully, or fulfillingly, or authentically, and those are even harder to quantify than the already nebulous concept of wrong and right, and especially at the personal level.

I actually stood up and closed my computer and walked away when I read Paul Graham's essay that proposed that what "matters" in life, to you, should be roughly what will be on your obituary. Jesus, dude. I guess all those cavemen without gravestones didn't have things that really mattered in life. No wonder people nowadays feel like they have to videorecord everything: there is no God except Facebook for them to ask whether something really mattered.

You misunderstand me. I want to live an enjoyable life. Much like most other people. I could not give less of a shit about recording it anywhere except my own memory. But I also don't want to give in to hedonism and sin, because as pleasurable in the short term as it may be, it isn't the right thing to do and I know that full well. I want to try everything, but know that (in many cases) I shouldn't.

That probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. If I can tell just what I was on about in the morning, I'll write something that does.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 06, 2014, 01:31:43 am »

Well, I'm religious, and I am afraid of dying. Mostly due to fact that I instinctively fear the unknown, as perhaps most people. I am not particularly afraid of what will happen to me after death, though - I might hit the Purgatory, but after all, I will probably not hit Hell, so that's all right with me.
So, one might say that I am afraid of the dying, but not of death.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:15 am »

Well, I'm religious, and I am afraid of dying. Mostly due to fact that I instinctively fear the unknown, as perhaps most people. I am not particularly afraid of what will happen to me after death, though - I might hit the Purgatory, but after all, I will probably not hit Hell, so that's all right with me.

Why do you think you will not go to Hell? If you believe there is a Hell, and anyone at all goes to it, it's hard to discount, especially considering the extreme lifestyle demands from biblical Christianity.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:05 am »

I am not afraid of dying, as when my brain is destroyed I will be unable to perceive or think, and thus a non-state is painless nothingness. Living forever is a more disconcerting prospect. Ideally we as a species would be able to live for as long as we want and then die when we have had enough.

Every hello ends in a goodbye. The sun will die, but it also shone. The earth will burn away when the sun grows hot, but this end does not invalidate what happened on her. The universe itself will experience heat death, but it also was born. I will die, but I will have lived.

On the topic of afterlife:

a.) How does the concept of hellfire possibly square with a loving god?

b.) Seeing as the majority of the species ( including me ) have heard the word of Christ and rejected it, are we doomed to be burned forever in torment?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #964 on: October 06, 2014, 02:29:04 am »

It's possible to love one person and hate another. Romans 9:13 reads "Jacob I loved but Esau I hated". In other words, God loves some people but not others.

b.) Seeing as the majority of the species ( including me ) have heard the word of Christ and rejected it, are we doomed to be burned forever in torment?
Not necessarily. If you repent and believe you will be saved.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 06, 2014, 02:44:46 am »

It's possible to love one person and hate another. Romans 9:13 reads "Jacob I loved but Esau I hated". In other words, God loves some people but not others.

Not necessarily. If you repent and believe you will be saved.

But God created us all, and is all powerful. He created free will. Therefore, God created some people explicitly to hate them and torture them for all time.

I have nothing to repent for. The majority of people are decent people. The majority of people do not acknowledge Jesus as saviour. The majority of good people will be tortured forever by an evil deity. This worldview sucks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #966 on: October 06, 2014, 02:59:17 am »

This worldview sucks.
I can't argue with that.

You're mostly correct. However, the idea of repentance is not being a "decent person", per se, but rather acknowledging that one has broken God's law and requires his forgiveness.
In doing this, it's important to realise that it's not about us, it's about God. We are so insignificant in comparison, to claim that what God's actions are immoral is arrogant and pretentious.

As you say - this worldview does suck. I hold nothing against anyone who doesn't follow it. It's completely rational to reject it entirely.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:00:53 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 06, 2014, 03:32:22 am »

As for hellfire, I like Dante's interpretation the best (not of most of Hell, just the bottom of it). Hell is genuinely not repenting. It's being alone, forever. A person in Hell has been likened to somebody at a party who *refuses* to have fun. There's all this mirth going on around them, and they're sitting there sulking into their drink. (Achievement get: use 'they're', 'there', and 'their' in the same sentence)

Also, Jesus also describes it as "[something something thrown into the darkness]... Where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Probably fits better, but that's one of those things that I'll find out when I get there. (get to the afterlife, not specifically to hell. :P)

As for dying, I honestly haven't given it to much thought. I will tell you this, though. I think I once managed to imagine what oblivion would be kinda like, before my imagination blew an emergency shutdown fuse. By definition, I couldn't think of what it would really be like, but if you tell me you're okay with the concept of yourself ceasing to exist, you're either lying, or there's something wrong with you, IMO.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 06, 2014, 05:20:58 am »

Why do you think you will not go to Hell? If you believe there is a Hell, and anyone at all goes to it, it's hard to discount, especially considering the extreme lifestyle demands from biblical Christianity.

Well, the thing is: in Roman Catholic Church, the belief is that if you believe in God and do your best to follow his guidelines and avoid sin, you will be saved. You might hit the Purgatory, and there are differing opinions about how many of us will go there, but I am leaning towards the opinion that almost everybody will have some time to spend there, but since God is not only just, but also merciful, He wants us saved and will help us to achieve that. So I don't have anything to fear about. In general, God loves us and wants us to love Him, and while we are right to fear Him, too, just because of His immense power, it doesn't mean we should live in perpetual fear. On contrary, we should be happy, while considerate. After all, if you are afraid that you are on the way to Hell, the thing to do is to look for the nearest priest and confess your sins, which saves you from going there.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 06, 2014, 05:29:57 am »

Exept you're still going to hell if you have the wrong one, ask forgiveness for the wrong thing, or die before getting to confess.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 06, 2014, 05:51:10 am »

Exept you're still going to hell if you have the wrong one, ask forgiveness for the wrong thing, or die before getting to confess.

Except not... If you are trying to ask forgiveness for something that is not a sin, the priest will tell you that. If you are _not_ asking forgiveness for something that is a mortal sin, well, this is your choice, so fare thee well on that. It is relatively easy to find a Roman Catholic priest in most places where Roman Catholics exist at all, and where it is harder, well, you can take some time if necessary. I'm not sure about that, but I think that in a pinch any Christian priest would do, and more importantly, in case of actually dying, it is perfectly enough to just feel sorry for your sins, as the lack of earthly possibilities can't stop you from getting back in God's good grace.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 06, 2014, 06:07:27 am »

If alha is the one true god, you're going to hell for no hearing his word (or not, depending on who you ask).
If InsanityIncarnate is right, you  have no real idea if you're going to heaven or hell. For all he know, the passage about not eating shellfish is right and literal, and your lack of guilt for eating those lobsters is your ticket for eternal hellfire.

I mean, and that's another DF reference, how can those elf know that they are displeasing us, creator gods of their universes, simply by existing. And I'm not even speaking about the possiblity of a "god community" universe, where the one true god was actually different in the old testament, new testament and Koran hence the need for a new prophet each time. The first one could, for some intrinsic reason hate lobster and pork, while the second hated neither, and the last one hated pork and alcohol.

Some Christian think it's ok to be homosexual, and they are going to hell or purgatory, according to Roman catholics. Likewise, some Chrisitans belived that killing in the name of God was A-OK, which was confirmed by the pope,... so either they were right, or you are. One of the two will die in error, here.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 06, 2014, 06:24:39 am »

I don't fear dying so much as it pisses me off that we only get at best 120 years, and more likely 80 years. And that most of those years are with a likely-to-be bad body.

Hence my chosen profession.

Pretty much the same thing. I like living.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 06, 2014, 07:19:59 am »

If alha is the one true god, you're going to hell for no hearing his word (or not, depending on who you ask).
If InsanityIncarnate is right, you  have no real idea if you're going to heaven or hell. For all he know, the passage about not eating shellfish is right and literal, and your lack of guilt for eating those lobsters is your ticket for eternal hellfire.

I mean, and that's another DF reference, how can those elf know that they are displeasing us, creator gods of their universes, simply by existing. And I'm not even speaking about the possiblity of a "god community" universe, where the one true god was actually different in the old testament, new testament and Koran hence the need for a new prophet each time. The first one could, for some intrinsic reason hate lobster and pork, while the second hated neither, and the last one hated pork and alcohol.

Some Christian think it's ok to be homosexual, and they are going to hell or purgatory, according to Roman catholics. Likewise, some Chrisitans belived that killing in the name of God was A-OK, which was confirmed by the pope,... so either they were right, or you are. One of the two will die in error, here.

This all really depends on your (I'm going to guess I'm using the right word here) sect of Christianity
My church believes that if you accept god into your heart and beleive that Christ died for your sins with all your heart/soul/mind then you will have eternal life

So even if there are sins you don't personally ask forgiveness for a sin, god still forgives it since y'know his son died to forgive it.

As for killing in the name of god, I don't beleive in that at all. I mean in a holy war (religion vs religion) were you will be violently be murdered for your beleifs then you have the right to fight for your beleifs.
But human life is one of the more important things, that people who are good people don't need to die. Though Nineva was a good example of how god feels about people who sin perfously, then one of gods followers went there and shared his faith with them. If not for Johna they all most likely would have died.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:00 am »

-snip-

And if you are right, I won't go to hell because there is no hell. So what? I believe that Roman Catholicism is true, and therefore, since I follow the guidelines I believe to be send by God, I don't have to fear hell. Why should I? Because I might be wrong? Perhaps, but you too might be wrong about your belief, whatever it is. Are you afraid you will go to hell?

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 185