Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189798 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #810 on: October 04, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »

Who says that some of those things weren't gods method of making things
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 04, 2014, 12:30:06 pm »

Yes, he was awwwwfully quiet. So quiet no one worshipped him, until there was a religion founded, just like the others being founded. In fact, borrowing some features from other religions of the area, too. Since then it has evolved. Any church nowadays is not the church as it was then.

In the first place, the earliest we can go, there was some form of religious/spiritual feeling. There were spirits in the skies, in the trees, everywhere. Your illness? Evil spirit. Get rid of it? Bore a hole in your skull.

In the earlier days of the church: Your illness? Angry God. Get rid of it? Go around the country whipping yourself and begging forgiveness.

From vague "spirit" and "witch doctor" thoughts, we get the early gods. More than one, because there was of course more than one spirit. This was allowed to develop as Egypt developed. Ritual cleaning developed around this. Shaving, priests and specific forms of burial.

And then, some time far down the religious path, we get singular Gods. Abrahamic religion emerges, splits and fights itself. Other, older religions get on with their own business while this happens.

And who says they were? Is there a passage in the Bible on which to found this belief?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »

Depending on your interpretations yes

Heck there are several science chanel episodes on this kind of stuff
Into the worm hole has a good episode on if god used the Big Bang to seperate light from darkness
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 04, 2014, 12:40:02 pm »

So, interpretation. I could read the bible and interpret it as telling me to kill all Jews, should I wish. You can read the bible and see that God used science to get things done, if you wish.

Depending on your needs, the Bible is anything.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 04, 2014, 12:48:02 pm »

Problems with rather vague things is that they can be interpreted in all sorts of ways. People have used their holy books to justify anything from charity to genocide.

I just remember all the stuff the Christian Fundamentalists (I am probably using the wrong term...) said were EVIL!

Such as S&M, Rock'n'roll, Dungeons and Dragons, and modern art.

And I am not talking about the people who live in a dungeon cut off from human logic. These were rather prevalent for like a few years.

To the extent where even MY parents have heard that Dungeons and dragons was Satanic.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:49:35 pm by Neonivek »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 04, 2014, 01:05:12 pm »

So, interpretation. I could read the bible and interpret it as telling me to kill all Jews, should I wish. You can read the bible and see that God used science to get things done, if you wish.

Depending on your needs, the Bible is anything.
There's not much in the Bible you could use to make such an interpretation, despite the actions of the damned Roman Catholic Church centuries ago. As for the science, the Bible says that God created the universe. If it so happened that the Earth or the universe was created in some way that could be explained or theorized by scientists, that doesn't disprove that God put such matters into action.

Problems with rather vague things is that they can be interpreted in all sorts of ways. People have used their holy books to justify anything from charity to genocide.

I just remember all the stuff the Christian Fundamentalists (I am probably using the wrong term...) said were EVIL!

Such as S&M, Rock'n'roll, Dungeons and Dragons, and modern art.

And I am not talking about the people who live in a dungeon cut off from human logic. These were rather prevalent for like a few years.

To the extent where even MY parents have heard that Dungeons and dragons was Satanic.
Christian Fundamentalists are those that believe in certain fundamental beliefs, such as virginal birth, the Second Coming, Rapture, etcetera. Although there is a certain number of reactionary ones that go wild over rock, DnD, or art (with S&M I can see the disapproval) that's not inherent to the division.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 04, 2014, 01:08:34 pm »

Christian Moral Guardians?

What is the term? Dang it!

Also for SnM I still say it is based off of ignorance as well as the alien nature of it. I don't see what is wrong with it inherently, so I don't know what you mean.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 04, 2014, 01:13:05 pm »

What I am getting at is that they all prove the bible wrong and disprove a theistic god.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 04, 2014, 01:13:23 pm »

Is curiosity and mostly separate from current discussion, but how did folks react to the whole virgin birth thing being a mistranslation? Don't think I've ever actually gotten around to checking what the general response was to that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 04, 2014, 01:14:23 pm »

AFAIK, she's still "The Virgin Mary" to most catholics.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 04, 2014, 01:14:54 pm »

Is curiosity and mostly separate from current discussion, but how did folks react to the whole virgin birth thing being a mistranslation? Don't think I've ever actually gotten around to checking what the general response was to that.

Never heard of it.

And to me... it doesn't matter.

What was truly special about Mary to me, pre-Jesus, was that she was born without sin.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 04, 2014, 01:20:59 pm »

Like, it'd be a bit more obviously created? And there wouldn't be all these evolutionary and such red herrings? And he'd probably at least call once in a while, and not just appear on cheese toast or whatever.

We have a lot of evidence for evolution, but why would that contradict the existence of God? Also, some religions do believe that he still talks to us.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 04, 2014, 01:24:07 pm »

What I am getting at is that they all prove the bible wrong and disprove a theistic god.
No, they don't. There's no link between the material creation and the concept of god (at least with the current theology). The current position is : sciences says "how", religion says "why".
They disprove fundamentalists beliefs though.

Like, it'd be a bit more obviously created? And there wouldn't be all these evolutionary and such red herrings? And he'd probably at least call once in a while, and not just appear on cheese toast or whatever.

We have a lot of evidence for evolution, but why would that contradict the existence of God? Also, some religions do believe that he still talks to us.
Evolution is kind of a hard point for religion, since humans are not the center of the creation. There's a lot of issues with that, but I don't have the time right now.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 04, 2014, 01:27:23 pm »

Let me rephrase that.

He would talk to us, obviously, and not the bullshit like "oh it's in my heart!" or "he only talks to you if you already believe (because that's totally reasonable, yeah)"

Like, giant words in the clouds? Or words in *everyones* mind that we literally all agree on what was said. There's more ways than just that but I mean things that would make saying "God doesn't talk to you" as reasonable as saying "The sky is actually polka-dot red and yellow"

And I'm not saying it contradicts the existence of god, I'm saying it contradicts the existence of a creating, caring god. Creating, because evolution isn't about creation but random mutation and whether that mutation will help or harm you in your given environment. And caring, because good lord evolution is a fucked up process when applied to living beings. Considering it's centered around death and "do whatever it takes" processes.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 04, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »

I'm not saying it contradicts the existence of god, I'm saying it contradicts the existence of a creating, caring god.

I think Omnisentience pretty much explains it away.

Assuming you believe that humans need to be the center point of the universe. Which isn't one of the...

Err wait... this is Christian Beliefs... sorry I am going by Catholic.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 185