Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189788 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #795 on: October 04, 2014, 10:21:10 am »

So he put the wounder on earth, then told them to heal the wounds they make? Sounds torturous.

Anyway, what happens when the sun goes "boom."

Assuming mankind lives on on some distant planet, what is God's purpose for humanity then?
Well he didn't put us here to wound it, and I'm not sure if we really could have before sin
But if we could I think he just kinda (and I'm paraphrasing here) said," Ok well here's all you need to keep you and your infinite number of decendants fed so just keep it nice and working and if you screw up just fix it, easy as that"

As for what happens when the sun goes boom
I think that the second coming would happen before that but as I stated earlier, I don't want to argue what will be happening hundreds or thousands or in this case millions/billions of years from now
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 04, 2014, 11:23:31 am »

So he put the wounder on earth, then told them to heal the wounds they make? Sounds torturous.

Hopefully by then we'll have found a way to move the Earth.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 04, 2014, 11:32:10 am »

Assuming mankind lives on on some distant planet, what is God's purpose for humanity then?
Well he didn't put us here to wound it, and I'm not sure if we really could have before sin
But if we could I think he just kinda (and I'm paraphrasing here) said," Ok well here's all you need to keep you and your infinite number of decendants fed so just keep it nice and working and if you screw up just fix it, easy as that"

As for what happens when the sun goes boom
I think that the second coming would happen before that but as I stated earlier, I don't want to argue what will be happening hundreds or thousands or in this case millions/billions of years from now

Why do you consider a book written by bronze age lunatics an accurate source?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 04, 2014, 11:34:26 am »

It's not the only book that's that old that is considered a good source of information
Actualy it's got more scientific proof than most books that we've got from back then

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 04, 2014, 11:37:00 am »

It's not the only book that's that old that is considered a good source of information
Actualy it's got more scientific proof than most books that we've got from back then

As a christian apostate who is very well versed in the canon, I would disagree. It has about as much proof as the Iliad.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 04, 2014, 11:39:55 am »

This is a question that always confused me.

Jesus only appeared in the middle east-romeish area. What happened to the rest of the entire world before Jesus? Did Jesus save them by default once he came along because they can't help not being where he was born? Were they damned because too bad, bad luck?

And what was God doing the entire time of human history before Christianity? He seems relatively new on the religion stage. Lots of gods and religions were formed way before him, which seems weird.

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 04, 2014, 11:46:46 am »

Jesus only appeared in the middle-east because God promised some ancient king or another that the Messiah would be born in his hometown. Its held that Jesus saved everybody with his death on the cross, regardless of location. How extraterrestrials would hypothetically fit in to this is a matter of somewhat more debate.

As for what he was doing before Christianity... Most of that is recorded[With somewhat more dubious accuracy, since it was so long ago and written by different authors based on ancient oral history] in the Old Testament. As for before that... Not exactly sure.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 04, 2014, 11:49:57 am »

To me, world'd look a lot different if a deity created us and cared about us, even if there was the whole sin thing (bullshit, but whatever)

Like, it'd be a bit more obviously created? And there wouldn't be all these evolutionary and such red herrings? And he'd probably at least call once in a while, and not just appear on cheese toast or whatever.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 04, 2014, 11:54:04 am »

Gods been around the whole time (ahem Old Testament)
And ya basicaly everyone around the world had a chance at being saved when Jesus died
And after that the Holy Spirit was instilled into anyone who believed, kinda an angel on your shoulder type thing. But ya the Holy Spirit is in everyone

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 04, 2014, 11:57:26 am »

Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, IIRC.

So no, not the whole time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 04, 2014, 12:03:30 pm »

Considering that God created the world, He would logically have to have existed since the Beginning, the presence of Pagans notwithstanding.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 04, 2014, 12:11:58 pm »

Oldest living religion. First veda beat out the torah by somewhere between two and eight hundred years. Various related religions beat out the traditional age of Abraham by a good millennium or so. General egyptian stuff shows every evidence of predating Judaism's roots by a long while, as well. The Abrahamic tradition, for all that it's old, is a relative newcomer to things.

We're pretty sure religions and general spirituality has been around about as long as the modern human species has... maybe longer. There's decent evidence (via means of burial, among other things) for it going back at least 200k years or so. So if YWHW was hanging around, it was pretty quiet about existing for a long bloody time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 04, 2014, 12:13:58 pm »

Considering that God created the world, He would logically have to have existed since the Beginning, the presence of Pagans notwithstanding.

Yeah, but wouldn't that make God kind of a dick? Lolnope, not telling you what to do not to go to hell, ggnore ancient guys!

Speaking of, what do you think of the evidence of monolatry over monotheism in Old Testament? I.e. 'there's plenty of gods out there, but we don't like them. Dicks.'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 04, 2014, 12:17:58 pm »

Well god kinda just left us to our own devices for a while with a recorded important event here and there so ya other religions were created but was still there just kinda waiting I guess
(I really need to read my bible more now that I think of it)

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 04, 2014, 12:25:43 pm »

Gods been around the whole time (ahem Old Testament)

So you deny biology, archeology, geology, astronomy, cosmology as well as all other forms of modern human knowledge that strongly disagree with the biblical narrative on all things? The earth was not created, humans evolved, etc?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 185