Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189759 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #765 on: October 03, 2014, 08:41:02 pm »

I forget

I think it was more along the lines of a sword to protect your family but then again your statement would work on those lines too
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 03, 2014, 11:21:15 pm »

all who take the sword will perish by the sword

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 03, 2014, 11:27:10 pm »

I gotta be honest
I wouldn't mind dieing by the sword
Sure it'd be painful but can you imagine the fight scene
ya not very impressive but still
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 03, 2014, 11:28:18 pm »

The thing about buying swords is another ridiculous misinterpretation that can be defeated not through tortured reasoning but by reading the whole passage.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.” The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied.
It is very clear if you read this whole passage that Jesus simply wanted to be arrested so that a prophecy would be fulfilled. Consider also that Jesus rebukes Peter for trying to use one of the swords later ("all who take the sword will perish by the sword")

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 04, 2014, 12:30:57 am »

The thing about buying swords is another ridiculous misinterpretation that can be defeated not through tortured reasoning but by reading the whole passage.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.” The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied.
It is very clear if you read this whole passage that Jesus simply wanted to be arrested so that a prophecy would be fulfilled. Consider also that Jesus rebukes Peter for trying to use one of the swords later ("all who take the sword will perish by the sword")
Peter didn't try to use the sword, he totally goes Blood For The Blood God out of nowhere and slices a Roman soldier's ear off. It's a hilarious scene, because Peter was a fucking fisherman and he manages to gruesomely wound a trained solider right after Jesus tells him not to do anything like that. Then Jesus heals the ear back on with commentary that I can only imagine in a snidely annoyed voice. If it wasn't meant to be funny than somebody down the translation line decided to go that way with it, because it's great.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 04, 2014, 01:53:30 am »

Humans created in God's image. Animals created for humans' plates.

Honestly, I detest that train of thought. There are ecosystems so insulated, self-reliant, and distant from humanity that it is hard to justify that the sole existence of animals is for the consumption of humans.

but it is our imperative to eat deadly stinging jellyfish that's why they were put there obviously.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #771 on: October 04, 2014, 02:00:38 am »

Well, they don't really exist for any other purpose, and if they taste nice, why not?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 04, 2014, 06:16:55 am »

Well, they don't really exist for any other purpose
Are you sure about that? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Because all we've got on the subject from a biblical perspective is texts written by humans, and there's something of a bias, there. To say nothing about the possibility of missing gospel and new prophets and whatnot. Purpose of the squid may be to be uplifted into majestic void squid and spread the word of squid!YWHW to the cosmos. You really comfortable saying with surety that there's no other purpose for non-humans but to be consumed by humans?

... where's that put the critters that just straight up kill us when we eat it, anyway?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:36 am »

Well, they don't really exist for any other purpose, and if they taste nice, why not?

They exist for and with as much purpose as we do. To say that something is simply there, not because it's a life form in its own right, but as a source of food, is rather ridiculous. God gave us animals? Why, the only thing that separates us from the animals (By which I mean, made us capable of consciously manipulating them) is a strange evolutionary leap.

E: Also, if it's the case that animals were put here for our consumption, how come there are animals that eat human? Is this an oversight by God?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:31 am »

Well, it's not like every animal is meant for immediate consumption by people. Some are meant to give us leather/milk/fur/wool/whatever, for example. But more importantly, they are created in sort of ecological equilibrium, so some of them are meant to uphold this equilibrium so other animals (that we feast on) can thrive.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 04, 2014, 08:23:02 am »

Theoretically, why not just create tasty stuff that didn't require other non-tasty stuff around for it to exist?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:26 am »

Well, to make it harder for us to just straight up eat everything in an area and make it desolate wasteland? To make taxonomists' lives more interesting? I don't know, and you would need to ask God for that. As far as I know, we could live on Earth where there is only one species of autotrophe, lets call it Green Soylent, and no other plant, animal or fungus. Which would be pretty boring, so there you go, another reason. Since I believe in omniscient God, I also believe He had a reason to choose such system for Earth, but I can not state for sure why. You could probably try reading some Doctors of Church for an answer, as it is possible that somebody tried to figure it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 04, 2014, 08:32:42 am »

Well, it's not like every animal is meant for immediate consumption by people. Some are meant to give us leather/milk/fur/wool/whatever, for example. But more importantly, they are created in sort of ecological equilibrium, so some of them are meant to uphold this equilibrium so other animals (that we feast on) can thrive.

Oh? So the ultimate purpose of the entire animal kingdom is to support human existence? Despite the fact that there are entire food systems we are not a part of, of course.

And what, as I mentioned earlier, about animals that eat humans? They don't seem particularly concerned that it is they who should be facilitating us.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 04, 2014, 08:43:54 am »

Oh? So the ultimate purpose of the entire animal kingdom is to support human existence? Despite the fact that there are entire food systems we are not a part of, of course.

And what, as I mentioned earlier, about animals that eat humans? They don't seem particularly concerned that it is they who should be facilitating us.

Well, seems to be higher purpose that 'just evolved and that's it', anyway, so I would probably take it if I were animal kingdom. :P Also, what is a food system that doesn't tie into the major ecosystem? I don't mean it only as A eats B, B eats C, C gets eaten by human; all the animals and plants are important to the biodiversity and... stuff. I don't know, ask some ecological people around here. But since it is generally seemed as bad thing to make species go extinct, I presume they all fulfill some role in ecosystem? Or is just for the sake of 100% completionists of real life that we try to save the endangered species?

Also, I see no problem with animals eating humans. Actually, we are perfectly capable of eating any animal I know that can eat us... They just part of the ecosystem. The fact that it was planned by God to be a system to allow us to survive and thrive doesn't mean it can't have traps. Especially since we got kicked out of Eden, where we were not eaten by anything.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 04, 2014, 08:49:39 am »

I don't know, and you would need to ask God for that.

Why claim that god intended animals to be eaten if you then go on to say that nobody can know gods will?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 185