Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189837 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #630 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »

3 days.
Sweet Baboon of Cameroon that has to be a sign.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2014, 06:03:51 pm »

It has been three days.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also ninja'd.

I just hope no flame wars happen
I want my topics to have good reputation
Eh, the Lock Thread button is a thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

I keep that in mind but you good people kept it from getting locked
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:25 am »

Oh great, this thread is now Jesus.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 01, 2014, 06:15:20 am »

Jesus was a pretty cool dude, from what I've heard. Oh, i had a good link for this thread somewhere! Just give me a second.
*rummages through internet*
Ah, here it is.
I, personally, am a retired Catholic (long, probably boring story). But despite that, there are still aspects I kind of miss, and there are incredibly religious dudes like the one above who make up for the near-sighted fools who give religion a bad name. Like everything else, it's not that most religious people are awful people, it's just that awful people are really friggin' loud.

Uhh, that's my two cents, since this thread seems like it's on it's way to Ascension.

Ooo, Catholicism trivia, for all you non-Catholics. While most (all?) branchs of Christianity celebrate the Eucharist (bread and wine representing the body and blood of Christ), Catholicism teaches Transubstantiation. What this means is, in Catholicism, it is believed that the bread and wine do not represent the body and blood of Christ, but that it actually does turn in to the body and blood of Christ. Look it up. It's kind of like Deitilism or something (that's not a word, but it's as good as I can get).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 01, 2014, 06:42:19 am »

I, personally, am a retired Catholic (long, probably boring story).

Is the pension any good?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 01, 2014, 07:10:59 am »

Jesus was a pretty cool dude, from what I've heard. Oh, i had a good link for this thread somewhere! Just give me a second.
*rummages through internet*
Ah, here it is.
I, personally, am a retired Catholic (long, probably boring story). But despite that, there are still aspects I kind of miss, and there are incredibly religious dudes like the one above who make up for the near-sighted fools who give religion a bad name. Like everything else, it's not that most religious people are awful people, it's just that awful people are really friggin' loud.

Uhh, that's my two cents, since this thread seems like it's on it's way to Ascension.

Ooo, Catholicism trivia, for all you non-Catholics. While most (all?) branchs of Christianity celebrate the Eucharist (bread and wine representing the body and blood of Christ), Catholicism teaches Transubstantiation. What this means is, in Catholicism, it is believed that the bread and wine do not represent the body and blood of Christ, but that it actually does turn in to the body and blood of Christ. Look it up. It's kind of like Deitilism or something (that's not a word, but it's as good as I can get).
Transubstantiation, that's the name. I'm not even Catholic and I know that.

I go to a good Catholic school (for all values of good: it's a good school full of good Catholics, and it is good at being a Catholic school too) and we get the talk about it occasionally. Basically it boils down to philosophy, where what it looks like and what it is are two different concepts. I don't get any either way, so I don't care.

Fun fact: the Welch's Grape Juice company was founded by a pro-Prohibition pastor so that churches would have an alternative to wine in Communion.

Fun fact the second: the chapel at my school has holy water on tap.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:42 am »

Fun fact about baptism that people may not know(my girl friend sure didn't)
Getting baptized in my faith doesn't save you but it shows to the community that you have given yourself to Christ

What saves you is true faith in him
So baptism is just the public display of it
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 01, 2014, 07:45:51 am »

@Sheb
The only pension I get is glares from the priest on the few occasions I go to church with the rest of my family (now that I have a family of my own, I'm not expected to show up for Christmas eve mass thank god).

@tahujdt
Ya, the Highschool I went to was Catholic, and was the best school in town. Also, the nicest people there were the principal and the religion teacher, he had a poster up that essentially pointed out that the central rule of most religions is the same, so we should probably all just get along.

@Cryxis
I never really thought about it, but yes, that seems to be true. Even in Catholicism, the idea of baptism washing away original sin, and you going to purgatory if you die before being baptized, has been phased out. Hell, even committing suicide is no longer a one way ticket to hell. The general belief is, in the brief moment before any person dies, you get a chance to repent your sins and accept Christ in to your heart. So even if you never converted through your life, you get one last chance. It's not great (I'm not a fan of the "you don't like our religion, have fun in hell/purgatory" concept), but it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #639 on: October 01, 2014, 07:51:38 am »

My church uses a combination of baptism and a confession of faith (basically standing up in front of the congregation and saying you're a Christian) to become a "member" of the church. It's not necessary for salvation, but it is necessary if you want to participate in communion (the bread and wine thing), or have a book of phone numbers for other members sent to you every month or so.

We also don't believe in purgatory (is there a Bible verse?) and Hell is eternal - not lasting for X thousand years depending on how many kiloNazis your Evilness scale raked in.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 01, 2014, 08:00:28 am »

We do Confirmation around Grade 6 which seems to be the same thing. It's a special mass where you go up and Confirm that yes, you believe in all things good and Catholic.

I don't think there's any scripture on purgatory, it's all in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (it's like the book of Catholic law). Hell is for eternity, but Purgatory is like a holding state, where you can potentially become pure enough to go to heaven.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 01, 2014, 08:26:57 am »

Wait.
Holy water on tap?

....Why??
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 01, 2014, 08:38:05 am »

Not strange, my church had a large jug of it with a tap. How else would you get your holy water?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:03 am »

I've never seen it in anything other than ornate basins.

The Catechism is a good source too. I've checked it on multiple occasions for the purposes of this thread, and for a few other things.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:51:29 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 01, 2014, 10:11:03 am »

Another Catholic trivia: very few Catholics believe in transubstantiation. I think the number is around 10%.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 185