Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189944 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #435 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:37 am »

What about eating pork?

All I know is that my (is sect a correct word for it?) church doesn't believe in some of those things like the don't eat pork or shrimp but i forget why

I do remember a scientific study that said in the ancient middle east/ Mediterranean area some of the sea food contained large amounts of Iodine and some other stuff so it would have been dangerous to eat it back then 
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 23, 2014, 11:42:04 am »

What about eating pork?

All I know is that my (is sect a correct word for it?) church doesn't believe in some of those things like the don't eat pork or shrimp but i forget why

Because bacon is God's gift to all mankind, that's why.

My SO was raised Seventh-Day Adventist, which is one of the few Christian denominations that follows the kosher laws.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 23, 2014, 11:46:50 am »

B-b-b-b-but bacon!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2014, 11:52:57 am »

What about eating pork?

I do remember a scientific study that said in the ancient middle east/ Mediterranean area some of the sea food contained large amounts of Iodine and some other stuff so it would have been dangerous to eat it back then
So bible is sort of build-your-own-religion-kit where you can choose which parts to include and which to ignore based on personal preference and bias?

I mean, I know that's what it boils down to really considering all the contradiction and whatnot, but how can you consider a book to be holy and just ignore parts of it on a whim.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2014, 12:01:45 pm »

Because marketing.

Selling a religion that says "no pork and no meat mixed with dairy" to a bunch of Europeans whose traditional diet goes directly against that is a bad tactic.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:22 pm »

There's a New Testament passage that is commonly interpreted as Jesus dropping the dietary restrictions. I think Paul is involved.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:49 pm »

I see this thread and cringe, but I look inside and see a remarkable lack of people being intolerant. Good work Bay12, keep it up.

Anyway, going off of what Cryxis said, a lot of the prohibitions in the Bible are actually good ones in hindsight. Take the no eating pork rule. Well, pork is more likely to have parasites in it, so it's more likely to kill you if improperly cooked. Also, there's the iodine thing. And becoming unclean after touching a dead body, and having a waiting period before you could become clean again, would slow or stop the spread of disease. I can't think of any more off the top of my head, and I don't have a Bible handy, but I'll research it later.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »

Because marketing.

Selling a religion that says "no pork and no meat mixed with dairy" to a bunch of Europeans whose traditional diet goes directly against that is a bad tactic.

Man, I'd die. Ham and cheese on bread rolls is my favorite breakfast.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2014, 12:08:12 pm »

There's a New Testament passage that is commonly interpreted as Jesus dropping the dietary restrictions. I think Paul is involved.
This is my body, which is given up for you. You can eat it with bacon.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:59 pm »

I see this thread and cringe, but I look inside and see a remarkable lack of people being intolerant. Good work Bay12, keep it up.

Anyway, going off of what Cryxis said, a lot of the prohibitions in the Bible are actually good ones in hindsight. Take the no eating pork rule. Well, pork is more likely to have parasites in it, so it's more likely to kill you if improperly cooked. Also, there's the iodine thing. And becoming unclean after touching a dead body, and having a waiting period before you could become clean again, would slow or stop the spread of disease. I can't think of any more off the top of my head, and I don't have a Bible handy, but I'll research it later.
And the not wearing two different kinds of fabric? Or only using a specific kind of blue dye?

This is my body, which is given up for you. You can eat it with bacon.
Now I'm wondering what Eucharist wafers taste like with some bacon in between them. Maybe a little brown deli mustard.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2014, 12:10:44 pm »

Suddenly I want to go to church.

:P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2014, 12:13:18 pm »

Go to one that serves some nice vintage blood.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2014, 12:15:10 pm »

So bible is sort of build-your-own-religion-kit where you can choose which parts to include and which to ignore based on personal preference and bias?
Of course it is. That is the crux with all "holy texts". Not only the picking and choosing, but interpretation. Every text needs to be interpreted to be understood. It's quite likely that people will disagree over interpretations of the simplest things (and that does not even take into account problems with translation). Thus it is basically impossible to have something like a "correct" interpretation of a religious text.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2014, 12:15:31 pm »

Go to one that serves some nice vintage blood.

I would...buuuut a Protestant family member in a Catholic church......erghhhhh....awkward and possibly violent, heh.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 23, 2014, 12:29:43 pm »

No, they don't think it's a sin to be gay, just a sin to do gay acts, or so I understand. There is a difference, albeit sometimes hard to discern.
OK I don't think it's a sin to be black but I think it's a sin to act black. #notracist

I'm honestly amazed that people actually think there's a meaningful distinction.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 185