Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189968 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2014, 06:42:38 pm »

I find it hard to fathom that anyone takes the Genesis myth with anything approaching seriousness. It's obviously just a creation myth of the same vein as the thousands of others throughout history.

What's your problem with it?

Is it the unholy amount of incest? Or maybe an all powerful being making man from dirt and twigs? Or is it that snakes don't talk?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »

Or the nine-hundred-year lifespans, or fitting two of every animal species (and presumably plant) into a wooden boat whose dimensions are given and could not possibly accomodate that much biomass.

Or repopulating the world a second time from a small family (once again, yay incest).

Or the fact that Genesis and Revelations seem to get the "well it's not meant literally" treatment, but all the parts in between are meant to be taken at face value and form the basis for entire legal systems and codes of conduct. Except the parts that seem silly (like sacrificing three doves for this, two chickens for that, a goat for the other, not wearing different types of fabric together, etc.) in which case we can ignore those because Jesus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a religion has to make logical sense. If it did, it wouldn't be a religion. Taoism is chock-full of paradox and generally cray-cray shit (like drinking mercury to gain immortality! And not eating rice, because that feeds the Three Worms that live in your stomach and eventually kill you). But trying to protest that it's scientifically compatible is not something I ken to easily.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to this because of my background in archaeology, an academic field that is rife with people trying to "prove" the Old Testament through dodgy interpretation of Near Eastern excavations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:02 pm »

It's really the everything. When I went back to reading the Bible some years after becoming an atheist, I tried to compile in totality all my problems with the first five books. I ended up losing track of the number fairly early on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:53 pm »

Christianity is not a religion

A religion is mans attempt to get to god

Christianity is gods attempt to get to man

Just wanted to clarify

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2014, 07:59:12 pm »

No, Christianity IS a religion by all meaningful definitions, and this special pleading for it is an argument older than most of the people on this forum.

And even if we were to accept your definition, then most theistic faiths also manage to fufil "god's attempt to get to man" in one way or another. Having a founder that claimed deific status is not really uncommon.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »

It is gods attempt to get to man

Why else would his son die one of the worst possible deaths?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2014, 08:02:33 pm »

That presupposes that god exists.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:52 pm »

I thought we were already on that presumption since we are talking about Christianity and it's beliefs not what the world thinks of Christianity

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 22, 2014, 08:05:31 pm »

N... no, christianity is a religion. Actually, it's an offshoot of an older religion, both of which crib notes heavily from other religions and local myths, so... it's pretty normal as religions go. Got hella' lucky in regards to history, but so did Islam and Hinduism and a good handful of others.

As for the latest post, probably for the same reason Dionysus got devoured until nothing but the heart was left. Divine figures dying horribly and then coming back (or just dying horribly) is... pretty common. Normal religious-y stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 22, 2014, 08:05:59 pm »

I thought we were already on that presumption since we are talking about Christianity and it's beliefs not what the world thinks of Christianity
You went outside the presumption first, by saying it isn't a religion. That brings it back to the context of the material world.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 22, 2014, 08:07:16 pm »

Cryxis, did you ever get around to answering why an infertile man and woman getting married wasn't unholy and against the natural order?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:50 pm »

*sigh

The saying it's not a religion is part of my belief, that's what they preach at my church therefore it's part of my Christian belief an in context of the thread

As for the infertile couple I don't know what to tell you I'm only a highschool student and my own inquiries have only taken me so far into what I believe

I guess in my opinion if they are both infertile then they are helping humanity by not taking away from the fertil population
If not I honestly don't know

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:13 pm »

Okay- what about two infertile dudes boning each other? They're taking themselves out of the fertile population, after all.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2014, 08:22:42 pm »

Okay- what about two infertile dudes boning each other? They're taking themselves out of the fertile population, after all.

They are having sex outside of marriage so that's not right

Don't take any of this to offence I have no problem with homosexuals or at least not more than I have a problem with theives gamblers (I only think people who gamble their lives away are sinners the ones who do it for fun and not for the money are ok) adulterers and liars

And almost all of us are guilty of one of those things, including me

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:31 pm »

Plus, you know, the whole Jesus thing is kind of weird and skeevy. "Gotta kill my son in order to forgive humans for something their great grandpappies x1000 did!"

:v

Much easier for an omnipotent being to, you know, *not* hold a grudge for thousands of years, yeah? Also much easier if it's also omnibenevolent.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ranty~
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:38:01 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 185