Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190007 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #270 on: September 21, 2014, 05:12:52 pm »

How do you guys define "free will", anyway?

I don't think we have free will. I think our minds have reached such complexity that it's not easy to predict our actions, giving the illusion of free will. The same way a dice tossed exactly the same way will always land on the same side, but the physics involved in throwing one are too complex to predict the result or to perfectly replicate the original throw.

This is what I believed to be true, until i started to learn quantum mechanics and all things went to shit
Brains are far too big for quantum mechanics to be something worth noting.
It all averages out in the end.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 21, 2014, 05:22:28 pm »

I really wish I never read anything about quantum mechanics  as it all made perfect sense before, everything was logical.... Now its all chaos...  blood for the the blood god
Make love not war

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 21, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »

Best explained this way: a stray gamma ray could inspire you to murder someone, but you still get life in prison.

I don't know what you mean by this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 21, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »

I really wish I never read anything about quantum mechanics  as it all made perfect sense before, everything was logical.... Now its all chaos...  blood for the the blood god
... considering christianity is a religion that has blood sacrifice as a central theme, you might be in the right place. Probably want to stick to the sects that give heavy emphasis on transubstantiation, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2014, 05:33:32 pm »

Best explained this way: a stray gamma ray could inspire you to murder someone, but you still get life in prison.

The argument from materialism against "free will" is often taken to mean: since free will doesn't exist, and all our actions are just a result of environmental factors and the chemical reactions inside our body, we can't really be responsible for anything we do as those neurons were going to fire that way no matter what based on their configuration before the murder, and before that, and...

example of this interpretation

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »

The argument from materialism against "free will" is often taken to mean: since free will doesn't exist, and all our actions are just a result of environmental factors and the chemical reactions inside our body, we can't really be responsible for anything we do as those neurons were going to fire that way no matter what based on their configuration before the murder, and before that, and...

example of this interpretation

I find this interpretation funny, because there is no relation between its premisces and its conclusion.

A faulty computer chip is faulty, and you must remove it because it's dangerous/bad. Likewise a bad individual is bad because he do things we deem bad therefore we give him invectives not to be bad, try to correct him or remove him from society.

The only case where absence of free will absove you from responability is when you're judge by an omniscient, omnipotent creator, since he created you that way, knew it, and could have corrected you. For human justice it doesn't matter at all.

Free will to an omniscient, omnipotent being is easily disprovable by the way : logically, any of your decisions is influenced by three things

A) Initial conditions (genetics, soul if you believe in it, ...)

B) living experiences (whatever happen to you)

C) Hazard

You are responsible for none, hence you cannot have free will.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 21, 2014, 06:46:36 pm »

To claim that we don't have free will just because our brains are chemically and electrically wired, as in A), or because we have to respond to events around us as in B) and C) is utter lunacy. Is your brain not part of you? Are its decisions somehow separate from yours? And do we not choose our own way in life? Sure we get pushed one way or the other, sometimes pretty stongly, but there's nothing to really stop me from just dropping out of school right now to, say, become a professional car thief. Other than knowing it' probably won't be as rewarding an investment as staying in school, of course.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:31 pm »

The point is that those choices were only ever going to turn out what way. Causal determinism. The reason you're (probably) not going to become a car thief is because the necessary outputs will not come from your brain, given the inputs it will get.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »

To claim that we don't have free will just because our brains are chemically and electrically wired, as in A), or because we have to respond to events around us as in B) and C) is utter lunacy. Is your brain not part of you? Are its decisions somehow separate from yours? And do we not choose our own way in life? Sure we get pushed one way or the other, sometimes pretty stongly, but there's nothing to really stop me from just dropping out of school right now to, say, become a professional car thief. Other than knowing it' probably won't be as rewarding an investment as staying in school, of course.

No, see... I think the idea is that you, in your current state, are a sum product of your inherent genetics + the experiences in your life since you were born (nature+nurture=you). But neither of those were things you generated via free will, but rather just results of the universe unfolding as it does.

So the decisions that you make, you make because you are the way you are. If you decided to drop out of school and become a car thief to prove a point, it would be because these initial conditions + the events in your life deterministically resulted in a person who, at this point in time and particular circumstances, wanted to (and could only want to) choose that path. Regardless of how many times you second-guess your decisions, the one you arrive at will always be the only one you could have arrived at. Therefore, it could be said that your "choice" was only an illusion.

It is an awfully good illusion, though, so I don't see any reason to let it bother you one way or the other.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2014, 07:03:19 pm »

Yeah, as I said, it would only matter if an omniscient omnipotent creator existed. To an human, it doesn't.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:09:07 pm by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 21, 2014, 07:13:50 pm »

Yeah, as I said, it would only matter if an omniscient omnipotent creator existed. To an human, it doesn't.

We're clearly operating using pretty different basic assumptions. I think I'll withdraw.

I can't let it sit. To take the idea to its logical conclusion: does that mean that nobody is truly responsible for their actions? Everyone is nothing more than the product of various environmental factors out of their control. To reject free will is to reject the most basic premises of morality and ethics. It isn't the fault of a paper bag floating in the breeze when it hits the side of a building, so why do we hold people who commit crimes responsible for their actions? Both are equally powerless, after all. As you say, they could only ever make that one choice.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:27:21 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 21, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »

We're clearly operating using pretty different basic assumptions. I think I'll withdraw.

I can't let it sit. To take the idea to its logical conclusion: does that mean that nobody is truly responsible for their actions? Everyone is nothing more than the product of various environmental factors out of their control. To reject free will is to reject the most basic premises of morality and ethics. It isn't the fault of a paper bag floating in the breeze when it hits the side of a building, so why do we hold people who commit crimes responsible for their actions? Both are equally powerless, after all. As you say, they could only ever make that one choice.
A faulty computer chip is faulty, and you must remove it because it's dangerous/bad. Likewise a bad individual is bad because he do things we deem bad therefore we give him invectives not to be bad, try to correct him or remove him from society.
Besides your attempts at arguing against whatever it is you think people are saying, how do you propose free will does exist when it would (with the assumption of being able to know all the factors that could affect it) be possible to predict every decision a person will make?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 21, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »

Don't you trash the paper bag? Do you wonder if the program that is hanging your processor is personally responsible for its failure before clausing it?

Everyone is responsible for his actions even if they were cause by exterior factors.

Even if prediction are faulty, your decision can ever only be the product of A) Your nature B) Your nuture C) randomness. You have control over neither.

But you are what your are. After all it's the thing you are now that I judge? Why the hell would I care about why you became what you are.

Edit : this is an oversimplification but I think it got my point across. Of course you can be the victim of circustances, take by temporary madness, or otherwise have your judgment temporarly impeared. There's reasons why the law is several big books.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:45:51 pm by Phmcw »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 21, 2014, 07:48:08 pm »

I was using your post as an answer, not making a dig at you.
Though I'm not really sure what you're getting at with that second sentence with the computer program, seeing as you're giving an example of a thing that cannot be held responsible in any meaningful way, while going on to say that everyone should be responsible for what they do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 21, 2014, 07:48:57 pm »

It is an awfully good illusion, though, so I don't see any reason to let it bother you one way or the other.

This.  There is no perceivable difference between a choice made by free will and one invisibly predetermined by forces we cannot influence, access, or even perceive, and since the only thing that really matters is perception who gives a shit?
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 185