Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190041 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2014, 09:35:21 pm »

If there is an afterlife, and it is good, why are we so afraid of death?

Simply because according to the bible, we weren't meant to die. I think there was a passage where it said something along the lines of: "He had instilled eternity into us." So its only natural that people would be afraid of death.

Was this in the same place where the Bible said that the entire human race came from two people?

But that's a good point, too. Begs the question, though, of why he would instill eternity when, through his omnipotence, he would see we would err. What would be the point, if he knew he would have to take it away?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2014, 09:38:20 pm »

How can the baby get a "chance" if it dies in the womb?

I mean that the baby gets some kind of chance later. It's necessary, otherwise God is unfair (and partial to those with better medical treatment).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2014, 09:40:06 pm »

When does it get a chance?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2014, 09:42:44 pm »

What?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2014, 09:44:47 pm »

I guess TDS might be of (or referring to, anyway) one of the christian sects that believe in some degree of reincarnation?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2014, 09:47:49 pm »

But....how do you make a linear belief....cyclical?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2014, 09:48:42 pm »

I have no idea.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2014, 09:53:42 pm »

But....how do you make a linear belief....cyclical?
Well, by having stuff like the souls of stillborns being put back into circulation. It's not really cyclical, just doing something with souls not yet ready for heaven or hell, for whatever reason. And other stuff. Reincarnation isn't necessarily cyclical, yeah. Most formulations of it tend to be (with a potential out, in some cases), but there's no reason limited reincarnation (everybody gets two, etc.) can't fly.

E: I want to say one of 'em holds that reincarnation occurs until... well, whatever their rapture equivalent is. Basically you(r soul) keep(s) coming back until the Big Judgment or whatev'. So still quite linear.

E2: Really, when it comes right down to it there's a lot of variety in christian beliefs. The bible says little to nothing on quite a lot of topics, and is incredibly vague on a lot of others. People get creative.

E3: And that's not even getting into the outright mistranslations. It's great when you get stuff like the KJB getting one of the ten commandments wrong, ha.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:20:24 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Aeax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2014, 10:15:08 pm »

Was this in the same place where the Bible said that the entire human race came from two people?

But that's a good point, too. Begs the question, though, of why he would instill eternity when, through his omnipotence, he would see we would err. What would be the point, if he knew he would have to take it away?

That's a good questions. The Bible seems to show that God can selectively exercise future events. In the case of the genesis account, it seems he chose not to see into the future.

An analogy could be likened to watching a movie on your computer. You have the option to skip ahead and see what happens but its better to watch events unfold as they come.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2014, 10:44:54 pm »

If he chooses what to see, then he hasn't seen/known everything. Then he isn't omnipotent, or all-knowing.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2014, 10:49:54 pm »

Nah, could still be the former, just freakishly irresponsible. I guess sorta' the latter, too, but even more uncaring of the consequences of its actions, since it would have to willfully choose to block and/or forget and/or ignore its knowledge.
Ask not!
Ask!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2014, 11:15:14 pm »

Cool thread. Good way to waste time instead of reading assigned college textbooks. Too tired to read British literature from 1300s, not too tired to read 16 pages of internet discussion on a religion.

I'll butt in with my own "Christian beliefs" to add to the discussion. For the record, I was raised a Methodist. So, worship God through actions as well as prayer/reading of the bible/church/whatever.

Anti-religion people could argue that Christianity's emphasis on doing the right thing and not the wrong thing made me become too hard on myself and make me a perfectionist.  On the contrary, I was always a perfectionist and that's what shaped my beliefs.

This is probably a rambling ass post but I'm tired.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2014, 11:30:23 pm »

It may not have made you a perfectionist, but it imposed an artificial and inherently unreachable goal upon you, and the combination of these two factors proved psychologically malignant.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2014, 11:35:57 pm »

So I stopped going to church. Continued to not really read the Bible much. I try to pray regularly. But just saying this made me realize I don't think I've prayed in months. So that's another "bad" thing.
If it makes you feel any better I'm something like 90% certain the bible says pretty much jack all about going to church, not much (if anything) about reading the bible, and pretty much nothing in particular about prayer frequency -- or even if setting aside specific time for prayer is needed at all. Bit about the sabbath (which most christians honor on the wrong day anyway so :V), but not terribly much else, in regards to that sort of thing. Quite a lot of the ritual bits of christianity have honestly been pretty much invented whole cloth, and not adhering to them makes you no further from Christ than adhering to them does. Possibly even closer, since fair amount of church activities and whatnot kinda' get in the way of being Christian.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:38:09 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2014, 11:41:33 pm »

Just another random thought:
I have many times said to someone in a class-debate, "Do you think your religion is the right religion? Do you think, for example, Hinduism is equally viable" and they always say no.

But it is equally viable. In fact, some religions are more viable in their own ways. It's rather selfish to say "My religion is the one true religion!" and close your ears to the other half a dozen people shouting the same thing of their religions.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 185