Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190037 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2014, 07:31:37 pm »

PTW, and to mention the joke that is known as Queen James Bible.
I don't think that such a perversion should be mentioned here.
Au contraire, I believe that anything goes, as long as you don't set out meaning to insult someone or put them down or break any forum rules.
The so-called "Queen James Bible" is, literally, the King James Bible with about eight verses changed by some queer jerks that knows little about Greek and flat out changed a handful of the verses without any justification regarding alleged translation issues.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:38:51 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2014, 07:33:02 pm »

Au contraire, I believe that anything goes, as long as you don't set out meaning to insult someone or put them down or break any forum rules.
The so-called "Queen James Bible" is, literally, the King James Bible with about eight verses changed by some queer that knows little about Greek and flat out changed a handful of the verses without any justification regarding alleged translation issues.
*sighs
Please don't resort to homophobic slurs to emphasize your point. I know you feel strongly about the issue, but please resist the urge to say things that may be hurtful to some people.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »

The so-called "Queen James Bible" is, literally, the King James Bible with about eight verses changed by some queer that knows little about Greek and flat out changed a handful of the verses without any justification regarding alleged translation issues.
*sighs
Please don't resort to homophobic slurs to emphasize your point. I know you feel strongly about the issue, but please resist the urge to say things that may be hurtful to some people.
I will refrain.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2014, 08:01:36 am »

The so-called "Queen James Bible" is, literally, the King James Bible with about eight verses changed by some queer jerks that knows little about Greek and flat out changed a handful of the verses without any justification regarding alleged translation issues.
From my understanding the KING James Bible is basically the previous version changed almost completely by one dude with the sole justification that he was the super crazy king and wanted to.
I'd say any creative editing of it would be far from a "perversion" seeing what it's origins are.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2014, 10:26:59 am »

Greatorder, no.

There is never a time for that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2014, 01:49:15 pm »

From my understanding the KING James Bible is basically the previous version changed almost completely by one dude with the sole justification that he was the super crazy king and wanted to.
I'd say any creative editing of it would be far from a "perversion" seeing what it's origins are.

Actually, the KJV was the first widely published English translation of the Bible. There's nothing strange about it, aside from the archaic language forms.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2014, 02:41:09 pm »

This isn't even an oversimplification; you are flat-out incorrect. The King James Bible, known originally as the Holy Bible or officially as the Authorized Version, was designed to improve upon the earlier translations of the Bible and to ease religious tensions. At the time of King James' rule, the two main bibles were the Bishop's Bible, favored by the conservative Anglicans, and the Geneva Bible, favored by the Puritans. A new version was mandated in an attempt to create better harmony between the two halves of the Church of England and to improve upon the older versions of the Bible. The translators were a group of scholars and bishops, with access to Hebrew, Greek, and earlier English editions of Scripture, such as the Coverdale's 1535 translation or Tyndale's 1536 Old Testament.

The main influences of the King James Bible, it is true, are the Geneva Bible and the Bishop's Bible. Still, it must be noted that these early bibles, although official, were not without imperfections. The when read aloud, many verses simply sounded awkward, the Bishop's Bible being especially guilty of this. The King James Bible was designed to sound good to the ear, being as it was to be read from the pulpit in church. Hence the poetic way the verses read; it was designed to be beautiful.

The influence of the King James Bible must also be noted if we are to understand its importance. After it became the bible of the Anglican Church, people started actually purchasing copies for their own homes. For quite a while, the only book one could expect to find in the average man's home was the King James Bible. People were learning to read because they had this book available to them, with the Puritans especially believing that it was their holy duty to teach others to read and write, thus they would be able to read the Word of God. It would not be stretch, by any means, to call the King James Bible one of the most important and influential books in the English language.

To have this "Queen James Bible" even exist is simply an insult. The editors this edition are just that: editors. Their changes have no basis; they simply add things as they see fit to change the meanings of the verses. In at least one case (2 Peter 2: 6 – 8, to be precise) they fail to change certain verses that go against their own "re-interpretations." A perversion is exactly what this is, its sloppy editing of a great and important translation of the Bible. To chalk this up as "creative editing" undermines the hundreds of years of effort put in by men such as Wycliffe as early as the 14th Century to get the average man to read the Bible. I'm no Onlyist, but the QJV is an insult to the Bible itself—not just the King James Version.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2014, 06:15:48 pm »

Alright alright, I guess I shoulda fact checked. I was just going on something I heard once. Note the "from my understanding" in the beginning, which is clearly lacking on history of Bible editions. Kinda unsurprising given my beliefs :P

So how many "Queen James Bibles" are there knocking around? Was this just something posted on the internet or did they get thousands of copies printed? To me that's the difference between "this is a joke, why you so serious" and actual problems. I mean, if people just went around changing a couple things in other books and printing them it would be kinda messed up.
But then at the same time, there aren't many other books that change quite so much as the Bible.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2014, 06:29:28 pm »

The Bible doesn't change, so much as be translated to varying degrees of success.

The Queen James Bible may be seen as someone trying to change the bible. I have yet to see a single person who buys into it-essentially, it is no longer the Bible.

The point of the Bible, for most Christians, is that it is Divine Word and Law. A change to the Bible would only make a shadow that isn't the Bible.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »

It can be purchased on Amazon in paperback, but I can't find any hardcover editions. It has apparently been published by somebody, but I can't find any statistics on sales of the physical book or any of the e-book downloads.

The Bible doesn't change, so much as be translated to varying degrees of success.

The Queen James Bible may be seen as someone trying to change the bible. I have yet to see a single person who buys into it-essentially, it is no longer the Bible.

The point of the Bible, for most Christians, is that it is Divine Word and Law. A change to the Bible would only make a shadow that isn't the Bible.

This is also important. They try to make it sound like they've only translated it a different way, but their justifications are nonsense, or bend over backwards at the very best. The bashing of the rest of the Bible at the end of the editor's notes doesn't inspire much confidence in their respect for the source material either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

So how many "Queen James Bibles" are there knocking around? Was this just something posted on the internet or did they get thousands of copies printed? To me that's the difference between "this is a joke, why you so serious" and actual problems. I mean, if people just went around changing a couple things in other books and printing them it would be kinda messed up.
But then at the same time, there aren't many other books that change quite so much as the Bible.
It appears to be a real book, printed on "thick, high-quality paper" according to the website. Whether it was self-published or published by a homosexual Christian publishing company—which I imagine exists in some form or another—I don't know. I doubt many Christian bookstores would carry them, though. I know I wouldn't pay twenty dollars for a Bible that hardly has twenty words changed in the entire book, especially when all of the edited verses are available to read on their website. Whatever the case is, they seem to be quite serious in their opinion that there are eight—and only eight—passages of the Bible that they alone have managed to correctly "translate" after all these centuries.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the legality of printing a Bible like this in America is? I think that the 1769 version of the King James Bible is copyrighted by the Crown in the UK.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2014, 08:09:43 pm »

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the legality of printing a Bible like this in America is? I think that the 1769 version of the King James Bible is copyrighted by the Crown in the UK.
Everything made before 1923 is considered public domain in the US, but even if the KJV copyright were recognized for a specific organization the QJV would be allowed. Similarity as an argument falls rather flat when you consider the vast similarities between other versions of the Bible. Further, the QJV has a clear and distinct value: theological and political commentary on the Bible and gay rights, which the QJV's makers see as necessary.

But it being public domain essentially preempts all that anyway, it would just still be legal anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2014, 08:18:05 pm »

An idle question just occurred to me:

If there is an afterlife, and it is good, why are we so afraid of death?

So afraid that everything about us seems to fight death.

In fact, if God loves us and is omnipotent, why didn't he just let us stay in heaven anyway? I'm sure there's plenty of space for us to crash in.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »

Perhaps "love" means something different to God than it does to you or I?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2014, 08:26:37 pm »

Then there's no point in calling god's version love. Because it wouldn't be. It would be some other thing using the same word.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 185