Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189690 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and homosexuality
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2014, 09:53:06 am »

Well I guess I'm not very logical then.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:27 am »

You can sin as much as you want but still get into heaven
God won't be all too happy with that life style but its still ok
I don't think this is what the Bible is trying to say. The way into Heaven, as is stated throughout the New Testament, is faith in Jesus, but I think that it requires a certain showing of that faith. I don't believe that one who continuously sins and breaks God's commandments truly has faith in Him, therefore living a life of sin and debauchery with a prayer or two slipped in there won't really help you, in my opinion.
In my belief, it is a frowned upon life style but god will still accept that person into heaven
I don't like that life style but I still think they can be accepted into heaven by the skin of their knees
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2014, 10:18:30 am »

Oh, actually I lied.
There is ONE line in the bible I find hopeful.

Its after the construction of Babel:

“If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them."

God then made everyone speak different languages. So PoH, I think you're wrong. Rebellion is NOT impossible. Resistance is not futile. Because God was afraid of us.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2014, 10:22:50 am »

That just made me think 'Humanity, Fuck Yeah!'
Pretty much my motto :P

Indeed, I do this.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2014, 10:37:53 am »

Oh, actually I lied.
There is ONE line in the bible I find hopeful.

Its after the construction of Babel:

“If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them."

God then made everyone speak different languages. So PoH, I think you're wrong. Rebellion is NOT impossible. Resistance is not futile. Because God was afraid of us.

My gut response here would be that very few Christians take this line literally (or any of the Babel story), but... there happen to be some Christians hanging out around here so I'll ask for their view instead of assuming it. What do you guys think about this quote? Could God really be threatened by humanity? That idea definitely doesn't jive with anything I learned in Catholic school.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:48:59 am by penguinofhonor »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:45 am »

What is your response to the Christians who believe in annihilation, not hell? Also, when you say

Which I would like to point out that its not "love" to torture someone who didn't commit the crime to death instead of eternally torturing the ones who...ALSO didn't commit the crime... Its psychopathy.

Are you referring to the crucifixion?

Just a couple of points that I picked up on that I thought could use clarification.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2014, 10:54:42 am »

My gut response here would be that very few Christians take this line literally (or any of the Babel story), but... there happen to be some Christians hanging out around here so I'll ask for their view instead of assuming it. What do you guys think about this quote? Could God really be threatened by humanity? That idea definitely doesn't jive with anything I learned in Catholic school.

Well yes.

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." (Genesis 3:22)

God starts shaking in his boots at the idea of human immortality or divinity. Just look at that stupid show Zero Hour. In fact this (supplanting God) is kind of discussed in Brave New World when Mustapha talks with John. One of the more interesting parts of that book.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:56:58 am by freeformschooler »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2014, 11:01:18 am »

Over a hundred and thirty replies of (mostly) civil, rational discussion.  I'm proud of you all.
I'm a semi-evangelical Protestant with some rather unorthodox personal doctrine, incidentally, but I don't like debate so I'll stay out of this now.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2014, 11:15:13 am »

As somebody who doesn't follow your particular branch of religion, I'm going to burn in hell for eternity regardless of whether or not I bang sexy dudes, but I still have a question for you, Cryxis.
Why is it that sexy men having sexy sex with each other is unholy?

Well a few things
One- The sexual acts are outside of marriage so that's not ok
Two- I believe homosexual activities (the thought isn't good either bit not as bad so to speak) are a sin
Three- homosexuality serves no use and god intended it to be one woman and one man in holy matrimony

Okay, cool. More questions:
If two men were married in a church by a priest who was okay with homosexual marriage, would their sex be less of a sin?
Does god believe homosexual sex is a sin because the only correct form of sex is reproductive, or because two dudes is totally gross?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2014, 11:17:28 am »

Well yes.

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." (Genesis 3:22)

God starts shaking in his boots at the idea of human immortality or divinity. Just look at that stupid show Zero Hour. In fact this (supplanting God) is kind of discussed in Brave New World when Mustapha talks with John. One of the more interesting parts of that book.
Humans wouldn't be the first though

Look at what happened when Lucifer tried to take the thrown
1/3 of the angels are now Lucifer's minions (fallen angels) occupying hell and the other 2/3 are now gods permanent helpers (angels)

And that dispute won't be over till the rapture when God and Jesus duke it out with Satan and the Anti-Christ

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2014, 11:26:39 am »

1/3 of the angels are now Lucifer's minions (fallen angels) occupying hell [...]
Are they, though? It's strongly arguable from biblical text that Lucy isn't even barred from heaven at this point in time, nevermind stuck in hell. Don't think terrible much is said about its compatriots (insofar as I'm aware, a great deal of information regarding hell and its surrounding characters is effectively non-biblical), but I'd figure they're in the same boat.

As for the permanent helpers thing, last I checked, several christian sects hold that the fallen are still completely subservient to the will of god. Just as ol' scratch is, really. They never actually stopped being god's helpers. They're just in the weird position of being jackasses for YWHW, or somethin' along those lines.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2014, 11:27:37 am »

As somebody who doesn't follow your particular branch of religion, I'm going to burn in hell for eternity regardless of whether or not I bang sexy dudes, but I still have a question for you, Cryxis.
Why is it that sexy men having sexy sex with each other is unholy?

Well a few things
One- The sexual acts are outside of marriage so that's not ok
Two- I believe homosexual activities (the thought isn't good either bit not as bad so to speak) are a sin
Three- homosexuality serves no use and god intended it to be one woman and one man in holy matrimony

Okay, cool. More questions:
If two men were married in a church by a priest who was okay with homosexual marriage, would their sex be less of a sin?
Does god believe homosexual sex is a sin because the only correct form of sex is reproductive, or because two dudes is totally gross?
In my faith/belief homosexual marriage can't happen even if a priest is OK with it because marriage is a holy unity of one man and one woman
As for why god has that as a sin, (and this is a very loosly quoted and not what is said in the bible but is the jist of it) god did basicaly say ¨Go forth and have as many children as you want¨ which it is impossible to have children of your own (currently but the future hold unholy new crap that i dont even want to start on) without committing other sins if you are homosexual. Adoption is ok but thats not your true child, and yes using surrogates and the such is a sin in my book since that is not your partners genes etc etc etc.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2014, 11:29:26 am »

Any comment on the normal inquiry regarding sterile couples? They're still able to marry in the eyes of the church, despite not being able to perform the ostensible purpose (well, according to that particular interpretation of marriage) behind marriage.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2014, 11:31:13 am »

1/3 of the angels are now Lucifer's minions (fallen angels) occupying hell [...]
Are they, though? It's strongly arguable from biblical text that Lucy isn't even barred from heaven at this point in time, nevermind stuck in hell. Don't think terrible much is said about its compatriots (insofar as I'm aware, a great deal of information regarding hell and its surrounding characters is effectively non-biblical), but I'd figure they're in the same boat.

As for the permanent helpers thing, last I checked, several christian sects hold that the fallen are still completely subservient to the will of god. Just as ol' scratch is, really. They never actually stopped being god's helpers. They're just in the weird position of being jackasses for YWHW, or somethin' along those lines.
Lucifer was never trapped in Hell and he has traveled into heaven in the bible
but the others are in hell

as for the fallen angels i don't know much about them to be honest just that they exist

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2014, 11:33:21 am »

Any comment on the normal inquiry regarding sterile couples? They're still able to marry in the eyes of the church, despite not being able to perform the ostensible purpose (well, according to that particular interpretation of marriage) behind marriage.

yes but they wouldn't be able to have children in a general sense
so yes if a couple can't have children i think its a sin if they use surrogates to have children
that is my opinion and belief though so take it as you will
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 185