Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189710 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and homosexuality
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2014, 06:46:40 am »

As somebody who doesn't follow your particular branch of religion, I'm going to burn in hell for eternity regardless of whether or not I bang sexy dudes, but I still have a question for you, Cryxis.
Why is it that sexy men having sexy sex with each other is unholy?

Well a few things
One- The sexual acts are outside of marriage so that's not ok
Two- I believe homosexual activities (the thought isn't good either bit not as bad so to speak) are a sin
Three- homosexuality serves no use and god intended it to be one woman and one man in holy matrimony

Genesis 2:22-24
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.  The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man."  For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

That is my opinion, please take no offense to it as I will try to take no offense to anyone else's opinion

Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2014, 06:58:25 am »

What about the rest?

What about the passage where they explain how to dignose and treat lepers? It's a bit latter in the leviticus. Should we drop out modern medicine and trust the wisdom of the word of god?

I also notice a slight lack of animal sacrifice on your part, yet god said, repeateadly and it's slightly worrying, that he love the smell of burnt flesh (which is probably why Jews called the 40's genocide Holocaust now that I think of it. Damn. The implications are... well...).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2014, 07:00:57 am »

I was not asked about that

If I was I would find passages to explain my opinion and interpretation on the subject

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2014, 07:08:41 am »

(which is probably why Jews called the 40's genocide Holocaust now that I think of it.

"Holocaust" was a generic English word for large-scale massacre from around 1200 until the mid-20th century, and was applied in that sense. A large number of Jewish groups tend to avoid calling it that, because it is theologically offensive. They prefer Shoah (Hebrew for "The Catastrophe") instead. For that very reason.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2014, 07:54:08 am »

Well, I can just drop in and say that you have a conservative Roman Catholic on your hands too, in case anybody wants to ask any questions. But at the moment I don't really have time to write anything more, so you would need to wait for answers a little.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2014, 08:03:08 am »

American keep babbling about the apocalypse something non existant in europe (but who make us laugh a lot, keep at it).

It's not non existent there, just less common. This Reuters poll says about 22% of Americans think the world will end within their lifetime. The numbers in Western Europe are around 6-8%, but the numbers in Eastern Europe seem higher and more comparable to the US. That was taken around the 2012 scare, so I'd like to think the numbers for everyone are inflated a bit.

I really wish there were some better polls about this, because it could very plausibly have negative effects. Why vote for people who make responsible, long term political decisions if you don't think the world is going to be around in 50 years for us to reap the benefits?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2014, 08:20:18 am »

Well, I only got to the third page but screw it, I'll throw in what I think about Christianity, and religion as a whole.

I'll be perfectly honest right now, this is probably gonna upset some people. Having different views does that, and I'll try to make it as nice as I possibly can, but this is gonna upset some people. Why post it then? Because its what I believe, and I have the right to believe it and to talk about it. So, sorry in advance.

Yeah, that got a lot less respectful as it went on. Sorry about that. I do want to note that this is against the "strict interpretation of the bible" crowd. There's also the "happy fun jesus" crowd that I personally can't take very seriously because it just feels like fanfiction at that point.

I mean, if God turns out to be real and is actually a nice person, I'll shake his hand, but I don't think that to be much of a possibility given the only evidence of his existence is the 8000th revision of a book presumably written by him, but probably not. And said book paints him as an asshole.

Oh, and I'll shake hypothetical NICE!God's hand, and maybe have some nice conversation and such, but I'm not gonna base my entire existence around congratulating him on creation even if he is nice.
But if he's the kind of person/omnipotent being I could respect, he wouldn't expect that anyway. Would be hella awkward.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:24 am »

Despite the rather harsh words, BFEL, I must complement you for keeping that rant mostly in the personal context: I don't understand, I think, etc.

And everyone who reads that: do try to remain cool and collected even if it does offend you.  I'd rather not see this thread locked because someone starts a flame war over anyone's opinion.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2014, 08:34:20 am »

Yeah, I tried to keep it as un-inflammatory as possible but...my beliefs are by their nature inflammatory.

Indeed, I do this.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2014, 08:47:33 am »

I am an Anti-theist. I identify as this instead of Atheism because of one key difference. I don't believe in the concept of divinity. I concede that its possible the universe was created by some singular being, but this doesn't mean that that being is intrinsically better then other sapient life. It's opinions aren't automatically the right ones, it doesn't get to rule morality forever (except by force, but anyone could theoretically do that). God can be wrong.

I'm an atheist and it seems like you're more open to the idea of a creator than I am. I definitely don't believe in the concept of divinity. Would you care to expand on how you think your views differ from regular atheism?

It seems to me the only reason people go along with all this is because of the heaven thing. Which you get into by following everything God wants exactly. Lets be honest again, if you think its ok to follow Hitler so long as you get to be one of the Aryans...fuck you.

I never understand this point. If you genuinely believe God will allow you to be tortured in Hell for eternity if you break his rules, it is perfectly logical to follow those rules.

If there was proof that the Christian God was real and he wanted me to stone some gays, you bet I would. I know it sounds cool to say you'd rather be go to Hell than do something evil in the name of God, but it is literally impossible for me to do enough evil in my lifetime to outweigh eternal torture.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2014, 08:56:07 am »

Was the Hitler reference necessary?

Anyway
in my belief you dont have to follow gods rules to get into heaven, you need to ask forgiveness and believe in him

You can sin as much as you want but still get into heaven
God won't be all too happy with that life style but its still ok

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2014, 09:00:04 am »

Fuck it, may as well toss in some cents while I'm here.

According to the church I'm officially a priest of (Latter Day Saints, aka "Mormons"), homosexuality is frowned on, for reasons that Cryxis and others have stated about 90 times already. (ie: literal interpretation of bible scriptures that could be argued are out of context [but I won't go there])

According to my personal beliefs (which lean a tad closer to Buddhist beliefs), I don't really see anything wrong with it. The act itself doesn't harm anyone anymore than heterosexual relations do. The idea that it's wrong because it doesn't produce babies is..  [insert family friendly word here]. I could go on about how reproduction as the reason for living makes no sense, how we're close to overpopulation, whatever. But that's not the point.

Honestly, what I want to comment on is BFEL talking about how people only seem to be nice because they want to go to heaven/avoid hell. I can agree with this, and I don't think people will argue that they haven't seen anyone like this.

I'll say more, but I have to go to work now, but I was about to go into the Buddhist belief in "Ashuras" if someone else knows what I'm talking about/wants to look it up.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2014, 09:02:41 am »

You can sin as much as you want but still get into heaven
God won't be all too happy with that life style but its still ok
I don't think this is what the Bible is trying to say. The way into Heaven, as is stated throughout the New Testament, is faith in Jesus, but I think that it requires a certain showing of that faith. I don't believe that one who continuously sins and breaks God's commandments truly has faith in Him, therefore living a life of sin and debauchery with a prayer or two slipped in there won't really help you, in my opinion.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2014, 09:27:09 am »

I am an Anti-theist. I identify as this instead of Atheism because of one key difference. I don't believe in the concept of divinity. I concede that its possible the universe was created by some singular being, but this doesn't mean that that being is intrinsically better then other sapient life. It's opinions aren't automatically the right ones, it doesn't get to rule morality forever (except by force, but anyone could theoretically do that). God can be wrong.

I'm an atheist and it seems like you're more open to the idea of a creator than I am. I definitely don't believe in the concept of divinity. Would you care to expand on how you think your views differ from regular atheism?
I put the bolded part in there because to me that is the difference. Frankly Atheism has gotten so much blanket coverage its nigh impossible to get two people to agree on what it is/isn't. Its like asking a member of goth or emo subculture what the difference is. They will all tell you totally different things.

I never understand this point. If you genuinely believe God will allow you to be tortured in Hell for eternity if you break his rules, it is perfectly logical to follow those rules.

If there was proof that the Christian God was real and he wanted me to stone some gays, you bet I would. I know it sounds cool to say you'd rather be go to Hell than do something evil in the name of God, but it is literally impossible for me to do enough evil in my lifetime to outweigh eternal torture.
"All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
By allowing God to eternally torture others, you have already done EXACTLY as much evil as the eternal torture. The stonings are just icing on the evil cake.

As I pointed out, I don't believe in divinity. Which means I don't believe God is invincible either.
If God is Evil, Kill God.

Was the Hitler reference necessary?
Yes. As I pointed out, actually attempting genocide kinda invites the parallel.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:30:57 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2014, 09:45:18 am »

"All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
By allowing God to eternally torture others, you have already done EXACTLY as much evil as the eternal torture. The stonings are just icing on the evil cake.

As I pointed out, I don't believe in divinity. Which means I don't believe God is invincible either.
If God is Evil, Kill God.

I don't believe in divinity either, but this is hypothetical. If the Christian God existed as Christians believe him to (i.e. omnipotent/omniscient), it would be logical to follow his rules because rebelling is impossible and the punishment is eternal torture.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 185