Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189697 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and homosexuality
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2014, 10:31:11 pm »

Are blood moons just lunar eclipses then? I had no idea that is what caused that. Wikipedia has a list of them though, and they seem very common. A bunch of total ones coming in a row in regular intervals seems very common on that list as well.

If that's the first seal I'm pretty sure it's been pulled off like... When did we get the moon? At any rate, if that's the rate of seal removal then the human race will certainly no longer exist when the end times come, so no biggie I guess.
The seal was broke when their frequency was increased

(My info may be wrong because I'm tired I will post more accurate stuff in the morning)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 10:31:59 pm »

So far as I can see, that's not something that's actually happened.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »

In short, faith -accepting something as true, despite not knowing it firsthand- is central to Christian thought.

Not necessarily expecting an answer from you specifically because you really should get some sleep for your exam, but I may as well probe a bit further.

I didn't really mean a firsthand experience or something, but at least some sort of explanation, however vague. God's a bit weird if he, in all his omniscience, expects a species known for its skepticism and rebelliousness to simply accept something on faith without any further evidence. Besides, if he's omniscient, presumably he knows the outcome of everyone's lives anyways, so even if we do have free will, he knows from the get-go whether we're going to be saved or damned. What's the point, then?

I don't know, maybe I just prefer my deities to be a bit more clear-cut. That said, I don't have any, so maybe I'm not one to talk.
Okay, I'll share my personal opinion.

You could consider the bible/book of Mormon evidence, and the Mormon religion has many people who have had small things done to help them. Also, if someone who does not believe in god sees a sign, they will probably call it coincidence, right? Evidence does exist, but the stubborn* won't see it. The Book of Mormon talks about Laman and Lemuel, who saw an angel and still didn't believe. Might be a bit extreme, but hey. Humans.
*Stubborn is probably the wrong word to use here.

And I personally think it is more that he see everything, but there are many paths in a person's life.
For example, a video game could have many different paths, and the programmer cannot know for certain which one a player will take, only that they will take one. It's kind of like that, but not exactly? Someone else could explain it better...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:35:55 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:43 pm »

As I said I will look for better info and links in the morning unless someone else gets them up before I do

Just looked up something to check and I was off

It's not the frequency but the days the blood moons occur

The last two have occurred on Jewish holidays/religious feasts and the next two land on similar dates
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2014, 10:48:32 pm »

Yeah, unless things really do go sideways. 20th century actually had dead on the same number of lunar eclipses the 21st has/will have. S'not really anything unusual going on in regards to frequency.

As for them occurring on the days of the feasts, as noted, it's happened like that a full eight times since 1st century AD. Nothing came of it, insofar as we can tell. Arguably worse for this particular apocalypse scare, three out of the four eclipses in the coming tetrad won't be visible from Israel.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2014, 10:49:51 pm »

Okay, I'll share my personal opinion.

You could consider the bible/book of Mormon evidence, and the Mormon religion has many people who have had small things done to help them. Also, if someone who does not believe in god sees a sign, they will probably call it coincidence, right? Evidence does exist, but the stubborn won't see it. The Book of Mormon talks about Laman and Lemuel, who saw an angel and still didn't believe. Might be a bit extreme, but hey. Humans.

And I personally think it is more that he see everything, but there are many paths in a person's life.
For example, a video game could have many different paths, and the programmer cannot know for certain which one a player will take, only that they will take one. It's kind of like that, but not exactly? Someone else could explain it better...

True, you could take texts that were most likely written to propagate a person or society's morals and beliefs as concrete evidence, but it seems somewhat ill-advised.

And, just like a nonbeliever would see something unusual as just that, an unusual occurrence, a believer would accredit it to God. The difference is that one of them can go out of their way to do research to explain the phenomena instead of just take it on faith that it was God that did it.

We seem to be finding less and less such evidence the further our ability to observe things as they are advances. In the times before the Industrial Revolution, it seemed like there were miracles happening left and right. I'd assume God'd step up his efforts as we began to understand his creation, not decrease them.

He's either omniscient or he's not. If he sees literally everything, that means he also sees the actions you'll take. God wouldn't really be much of a god if he couldn't do literally anything and he didn't know absolutely everything.

Sorry if I came off as confrontational, I'm not trying to be. Just like everyone else here, I'm just stating my opinion.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2014, 11:01:05 pm »

As somebody who doesn't follow your particular branch of religion, I'm going to burn in hell for eternity regardless of whether or not I bang sexy dudes, but I still have a question for you, Cryxis.
Why is it that sexy men having sexy sex with each other is unholy?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:32 pm »

Haven't we had many blood moons already, though?

Yes
But not in such concentration
Before it was only every couple hundred years
Now they are to become more frequent (once every couple of years)
Are you sure it's not just less of them were documented in the past?

As somebody who doesn't follow your particular branch of religion, I'm going to burn in hell for eternity regardless of whether or not I bang sexy dudes, but I still have a question for you, Cryxis.
Lust and sodomy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2014, 11:08:08 pm »

Lust and sodomy.

I was asking Cryxis! :(
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2014, 11:09:04 pm »

Haven't we had many blood moons already, though?

Yes
But not in such concentration
Before it was only every couple hundred years
Now they are to become more frequent (once every couple of years)

Nope. Not gonna comment.
You're young, and you don't deserve the can of eschatological whoop-ass that I want to open up for that one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2014, 11:10:26 pm »

Lust and sodomy.

I was asking Cryxis! :(
Well, think of that as the gay kid's opinion on why he's a sinner then. :P

EDIT: Eschaton is still my favorite word.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2014, 11:20:33 pm »

I don't think you're a sinner- I think engaging directly with Cryxis will let me understand his views more.
I've played some mafia.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2014, 11:29:51 pm »

He's either omniscient or he's not. If he sees literally everything, that means he also sees the actions you'll take. God wouldn't really be much of a god if he couldn't do literally anything and he didn't know absolutely everything.
Just because you have unlimited power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time.
Knowing everything and doing anything would get boring really fast I think. It's like playing a video game, if you cheat to get a sword of 1 hit everything and armour of invincibility, what is the fun in playing?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2014, 11:33:50 pm »

I was under the impression that there were seven seals, and I do not recall the first having anything to do with the moon.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2014, 11:36:23 pm »

... yeah, if we're talking an omnipotent/omniscient being deciding not to intervene in people's suffering to prevent their personal boredom, that's. Kinda' horrific, Cpt. Though if they're omnipotent, by all rights they should just be able to turn their boredom off, indefinitely.

And yeah, G, revelations was seven seals. This four seal thing has to do with... something else. Blazes if I can recall exactly what.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 185