Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189721 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and homosexuality
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 08:18:39 pm »

You might be entitled to your opinion, but responding to a sad person with "I don't approve of you" (for whatever reason) is a little tactless.

I try not to do that but yes I have done it
I try to keep it from I don't approve
And instead I think differently but do whatever you want to because I have no control over you

If at any time I start shoving religion down anyone's throat or become a bigot please tell me because I want to refrain from that
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 08:20:41 pm »

Baptist (not southern just normal baptist) have a similar opinion as that

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »

see, but this still feeds back into my original point. In both Romans and Corinthians, the grievance is against unmarried men romping around with each other, rather than gay men getting married (while this may make sense for the Jews, surely this sort of thing had more cultural nuance in Greece). Thus, we return to sad thread point, that the argument is less over homosexuality and more over marriage's purpose as an institution.

haha man southern baptists react to gay marriages like sodium to water

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 08:24:49 pm »

see, but this still feeds back into my original point. In both Romans and Corinthians, the grievance is against unmarried men romping around with each other, rather than gay men getting married (while this may make sense for the Jews, surely this sort of thing had more cultural nuance in Greece). Thus, we return to sad thread point, that the argument is less over homosexuality and more over marriage's purpose as an institution.

haha man southern baptists react to gay marriages like sodium to water
Chemistry joke
I approve

Also in my opinion and interpretation of the bible
Homosexuals can no be married because marriage is the holy matrimony between a man and a woman

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 08:25:51 pm »

What do you think homoromanticism? Homosexuality itself could be considered a sin due to the fact that gay sex does not serve reproductive purpose and thus is just lust. Which begs the question about whether or not being romantically attracted to a person of the same sex while staying virgin would be a sin?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 08:26:17 pm »

Of course, just because someone has committed a sin doesn't mean they don't deserve respect.
The concept of sin in general is honestly so ridiculously vague it's almost not worth consideration as a concept, imo. I'm pretty sure it would be accurate to call the evaluation of an act as a sin, itself, a sin. Deigning to step in the place of god and judge the actions of others for merit only truly recognizable by the divine would definitely be stepping away from faith in the creator, quiaff? Place of man is not to judge but to walk as christ walked, et al.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 08:31:01 pm »

Do you believe that any harm results from gay relationships?  If not then how is it a sin in any meaningful way?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33:28 pm »

Sin != doing something that causes harm.
Sin == Doing anything God ordered you not to do/not doing anything God ordered you to do.

The more specific definitions on what God did/didn't ordain are up to debate.

Also, Fumple: Understanding what constitutes a sin is an important part of trying not to do it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:35:40 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 08:34:21 pm »

Alright, so, my two cents as someone who's going to a Catholic school.  Be warned, it's a Jesuit school, so this is likely to come from the liberal side of Catholicism.

Official catholic church doctrine, IIRC, is that homosexuals are human beings and worthy of as much respect as any other human being.  They frown upon homosexual ACTS, but not on the person performing them.

Now, my view.

I think that if we believe in Jesus, we can recognize that Jesus was a radical.  He ministered to the lepers, spoke with the women, and spoke with the foreigner, all of which were considered extremely radical behavior in his time.  He came to call everyone, and that includes people who are different from us, be it that they are homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual or whatevs, black, white, whatever.  He came for everyone and died for all of our sins, not just those of individual groups.  As such, we are all human, and we all deserve to be treated as such.

Now, to the behaviors/actions themselves, and here I deviate from church teaching: I believe that the person has supreme choice over what they do, and I try not to judge them for that.  I do not see homosexual behavior or sex-changes or whatnot as evil or sinful: they are an individual choice.  If you feel called to it, then follow that calling: everyone deserves to be happy, and if you feel uncomfortable in your own body or in relations with the opposite gender that detracts from your happiness.  Do what feels right, as long as you do not hurt others in the process.

What do you think homoromanticism? Homosexuality itself could be considered a sin due to the fact that gay sex does not serve reproductive purpose and thus is just lust. Which begs the question about whether or not being romantically attracted to a person of the same sex while staying virgin would be a sin?
I still have to find it, doing some searches, but I seem to recall that the catholic church does not believe that to be sinful.  However, individual catholics still might, and certain Protestant groups seem to espoused that opinion.

Homosexuals can no be married because marriage is the holy matrimony between a man and a woman
Marriage as a means of connecting people as husband and wife, however, has existed in cultures all over the world outside of the spread of Christianity.  As such, I believe that people should be able to be married in the eyes of the law, if not in the eyes of a church.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 08:36:53 pm »

You might be entitled to your opinion, but responding to a sad person with "I don't approve of you" (for whatever reason) is a little tactless.

I try not to do that but yes I have done it
I try to keep it from I don't approve
And instead I think differently but do whatever you want to because I have no control over you

If at any time I start shoving religion down anyone's throat or become a bigot please tell me because I want to refrain from that
I think you've done a remarkable job of stating your opinion without coming across, at least to me, as tactless or bigotted.  You're stating exactly where you get your beliefs from without trying to apply them to others, and have remained calm and collected on the issue.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 08:39:05 pm »

Sin == Doing anything God ordered you not to do/not doing anything God ordered you to do.

Also, Fumple: Understanding what constitutes a sin is an important part of trying not to do it.
My personal definition of sin is something that drives us away from being in friendly relationship with other people, and by extension, God.  Again, though, I'm at a Jesuit school in one of the most liberal cities in the United States.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »

So your position is that God frowns on some activities for no reason at all?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 08:42:13 pm »

I'll note again, though: Insofar as I'm aware, the point of christianity is not to avoid sin, but to act as Christ acted -- to walk with Jesus. The avoidance of sin is not a goal, but a consequence. One that can arguably not be achieved if your goal is divergent from pursuing the path of christhood. You cannot avoid sin by trying to avoid sin, only by doing as Christ would. The avoidance of sin comes naturally from that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 08:42:41 pm »

I still have to find it, doing some searches, but I seem to recall that the catholic church does not believe that to be sinful.  However, individual catholics still might, and certain Protestant groups seem to espoused that opinion.

This is essentially my understanding of the issue. It isn't a sin, but some Catholics consider it as leading to sin, and discourage it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 08:48:46 pm »

My opinion on what sin means is any act that god sees as unholy and in turn brings someone further from god
I also believe that asking forgiveness for my sins breaks down that metaphorical brick wall between me and god created by my sins
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 185