Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190680 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2280 on: November 11, 2014, 05:29:55 pm »

If you believe that transubstantiation is literal then you just have a stupid definition of the word "literal".  Unless you think that Jesus was actually made out of wine and bread.
No.

We've covered this ground before. It cannot be demonstrably proven true or false.
It's like... yeah, I guess this is, on a very technical and pedantic level, true.  But you're creating a truly absurd burden of proof (beyond even the normal un-falsifiable one) that no non-tautological statement would ever be able to overcome, so this argument is actually completely meaningless.  I mean you could defend statements like "All of the Harry Potter books are literally true" and "Heating things always causes them to cool down" using this argument, it's worthless.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: November 11, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »

I think the reason people say it about Mormons is because they've got their own book of scripture that nobody else accepts and because of the circumstances of their foundation. I must say though, the Deseret alphabet is quite interesting, and they go to great lengths to translate the book.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:39:08 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: November 11, 2014, 05:50:39 pm »

I think the reason people say it about Mormons is because they've got their own book of scripture that nobody else accepts and because of the circumstances of their foundation. I must say though, the Deseret alphabet is quite interesting, and they go to great lengths to translate the book.

The most common reason I've heard for Mormons not being Christians is "they use the Book of Mormon instead of the Bible." I don't think most people who think things like this have enough understanding of the other denomination to make a theological argument.

The other (more legitimate) reason I've been given is that they don't believe in the trinity, because apparently they think the Father/Son/Ghost are all separate things instead of aspects of one thing.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: November 11, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

I've always just refered anyone who believes in Christ to be Christians. Because you know, it's in the title.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2284 on: November 11, 2014, 05:56:19 pm »

Pretty much the definition I use, yeah. It's the most convenient, at any rate.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: November 11, 2014, 05:58:39 pm »

... providing you clarify the "believes in" bit, maybe. After all, Islam holds that Streaker J was an existent thing and a prophet... pretty sure there's a smattering of other, definitely non-christian, religious beliefs that have SJ as some part of their pantheon and/or holy figures, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: November 11, 2014, 05:59:20 pm »

Besides, if not Christian then they're probably still Abrahamic...meaning they're on the same footing as Christianity, rather than a part of it, or "child" of it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: November 11, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »

Well, to me "Christ" denotes Jesus as a divine figure. I mean, in the end, it's all just names and categories. So whatever works for whoever I guess.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: November 11, 2014, 06:08:21 pm »

Well, to me "Christ" denotes Jesus as a divine figure. I mean, in the end, it's all just names and categories. So whatever works for whoever I guess.

This is also how I interpret it - Christians accept Jesus as the Christ, while non-christian ones don't accept him as the Christ. Hence the name.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: November 11, 2014, 06:14:24 pm »

"Christian" is not a binary value. It really needs to be expressed as a value between one and zero, as measured by one minus the doctrinal distance from the Catholic Church :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: November 11, 2014, 07:24:34 pm »

Especially to show that it isn't a uniquely religious trait.
It has to be measured before it can be taken seriously.

Shaken Baby Syndrome

Was scientific fact on the basis of pure speculation. (mostly this is a flaw in how, well, the format works.)

I can play this card all day thanks to my encyclopedic knowledge that humans just suck in general by any measure. There is no method or mechanic against plain old human idiocy.

Though I will apologize for earlier, I was being an ass.

"Christian" is not a binary value. It really needs to be expressed as a value between one and zero, as measured by one minus the doctrinal distance from the Catholic Church :P

Catholic requires you to believe in and only in the Apostles Creed.

That is it, no more, no less.

Sounds pretty Binary.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:33:19 pm by Neonivek »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: November 11, 2014, 07:42:18 pm »

Spoiler:  that physics thing (click to show/hide)

If you say you're christian, you're christian... Is that so hard an idea to get a hold of? Nondenominational Christian is totally a thing and they're all totally going to every hell ever. Is a person who says they're a Buddhist but doesn't live in a temple not a buddhist? Is a Jewish person who doesn't go to their...Ziggurat? not Jewish?

Mormons are a protestant christian IMO.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: November 11, 2014, 07:44:57 pm »

@Neonivek: Apology accepted, and I'll issue mine as well. It's easy to let those things escalate, and I my brusque manner did little to prevent just that.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: November 11, 2014, 07:50:53 pm »

If you say you're christian, you're christian...

Not so, according to Matthew 7:22-23, pretty much all of Jude and probably some other places as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: November 11, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »

@Neonivek: Apology accepted, and I'll issue mine as well. It's easy to let those things escalate, and I my brusque manner did little to prevent just that.

I take this thread way too personally and often do not distinguish between "I am genuinely interested in these aspects of Christianity because they differ from the ones of my own" and "Whoa look at the freek show! Man Christians sure are waaacky!"

Which I have a short fuse for because I was made the school apologist back in Catholic school. >_< Ps. Don't do it!

Space is not a true vacuum

To admit you can't have a true vacuum because there is no such thing as empty space.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 185