Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190652 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2265 on: November 11, 2014, 05:03:16 pm »

Keep researching
I'm disinclined, thank you. Your earlier statements aren't exactly making me put much weight in your opinion.

Feel free to PM me if it grates against your sensibilities. Otherwise forgive me but I won't be taking you seriously on this matter.

It is pretty typical of these discussions as a whole. I will be using it as an example mind you.

Especially since this is a discussion on Christian Beliefs and the idea of someone sort of holding close a doctrine and not considering anything else is what this thread is about.

Especially to show that it isn't a uniquely religious trait.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/speed-light-vacuum-varies-slightly-study-finds

It is actually quite easy to find contradictory information. It pays to know every single scientific theory that comes out every few years. MIND YOU the idea that light is not a true constant is quite ancient by modern science standards.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:09:30 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 11, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »

Okay, source time. Irish Times published a poll in 2012 saying that only 26% of Catholics in Ireland believe in transubstantiation, but it's behind a paywall so I can't get to it. That's the most similar statistic I can find, but my religion teacher was wigging out about this back before 2009 so I know it's not the same one.

I also found this Pew poll from 2010 that says 45% of American Catholics think the church's official stance on transubstantiation is that the bread and wine are merely symbols.

I'd like to remind everyone that this is one of Catholicism's notoriously rarely-followed teachings. 45% of American Catholics haven't even realized the church says the transformation is literal.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: November 11, 2014, 05:07:46 pm »

Well Catholocism has the most denominations of any major religion.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 11, 2014, 05:09:22 pm »

Keep researching
I'm disinclined, thank you. Your earlier statements aren't exactly making me put much weight in your opinion.

Feel free to PM me if it grates against your sensibilities. Otherwise forgive me but I won't be taking you seriously on this matter.

It is pretty typical of these discussions as a whole. I will be using it as an example mind you.

Especially since this is a discussion on Christian Beliefs and the idea of someone sort of holding close a doctrine and not considering anything else is what this thread is about.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/speed-light-vacuum-varies-slightly-study-finds

It is actually quite easy to find contradictory information.

That's... that's not a theory, a finding or an observation. That is a hypothesis that has yet to generate supporting evidence.

Well Catholocism has the most denominations of any major religion.

Catholicism is a denomination of a major religion... you meant Christianity, right?
This is a blank sig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 11, 2014, 05:12:44 pm »

Depends Monkeyhead. >_< I might have to look up my definitions.

and by might I mean I really should.

... that's not a theory, a finding or an observation. That is a hypothesis that has yet to generate supporting evidence.

Sort of. This stuff pops up every few years, gets shot down, and then is brought up again. There was a lot I could have pulled from, but I just chose the first result.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 11, 2014, 05:14:05 pm »

Christians and Catholics.

Christianity is a catholic faith. As for people mixing Roman Catholicism with Christianity as whole, I have yet to see it.

Heh, I see the opposite. The most common response by far I get to "I'm Roman Catholic" is "So you aren't Christian?"

Really? That's interesting. Still, maybe it's just because of the big issue of identity around where I live. A Roman Catholic knows he's Christian, just a better Christian than a Protestant (And vice versa, I'm sure)

It's mainly down to demographics. Roman Catholics make up maybe 14% of the religious population in this county, and about 7% of the total population. Almost all of the rest are Evangelical protestants of the stripe unique to the American Midwest, or simply don't care.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2271 on: November 11, 2014, 05:14:27 pm »

I was under the impression that Roman Catholicism was a single church. Ignoring minor discrepancies, of course. Christianity as a whole has about thirty thousand denominations, because it's such a divisive topic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: November 11, 2014, 05:15:43 pm »

Christianity is the religion. Then we have Catholics, Protestants etc. interspersed within that umbrella as separate denominations.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 11, 2014, 05:15:57 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Many individual Christians and Christian denominations consider themselves "catholic" on the basis, in particular, of apostolic succession. They fall into five groups:

The Catholic Church, which sees full communion with the Bishop of Rome as an essential element of Catholicism. Its constituent particular Churches (Western and Eastern) have distinct and separate jurisdictions, while still being "in union with Rome".[8]
Those, like the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox, that claim unbroken apostolic succession from the early Church and identify themselves as the Catholic Church.
Those, like the Old Catholic, Anglican, and some Lutheran and other denominations, that claim unbroken apostolic succession from the early Church, and see themselves as a constituent part of the Church.
Those who claim to be spiritual descendants of the Apostles but have no discernible institutional descent from the historic Church, and normally do not refer to themselves as catholic.
Those who have acknowledged a break in Apostolic Succession, but have restored it in order to be in full communion with bodies that have maintained the practice. Examples in this category include the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada vis-à-vis their Anglican and Old Catholic counterparts.

If you want to use a broad definition of Catholic, I guess you could say some of these are denominations? I'd be more likely to refer to them as different Christian denominations that call themselves Catholic.

There is variation in Catholic beliefs depending on the area and congregation, but I don't think there's any more than any other religion big enough to be diverse.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 11, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »

No, you don't get to play that card. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That paper you linked to is not evidence but a hypothesis. It has to be measured before it can be taken seriously.

Yes, VSL is an old idea, and you can find plenty of people exploring its validity, but so far there is no evidence to support it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 11, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »

Well, Roman Catholic is complicated, because it also includes stuff like the Eastern Catholic Churches, who basically follow Catholic doctrine using Orthodox liturgy (Yes, this is a gross oversimplification).

Also, the Roman Catholic church is also unique among religion in that it possess whole strata of old men that have nothing better to do than to argue the finer points of theology, and have been doing so for the last 2000 years, causing quite the accumulation of doctrinal clutter. Most Roman Catholics just act like anyone near an old decrepit family member: nod politely and ignore whatever he says.

Also, the whole discussion of wine and Christ and blood bring this comic to mind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:23:39 pm by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: November 11, 2014, 05:25:44 pm »

Heh, I see the opposite. The most common response by far I get to "I'm Roman Catholic" is "So you aren't Christian?"
To be fair, my sorta-kinda flirting with being religious(which in Poland translates to Roman Catholic) friend insisted that Protestants are not Christians.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 11, 2014, 05:26:36 pm »

To be fair, my sorta-kinda flirting with being religious(which in Poland translates to Roman Catholic) friend insisted that Protestants are not Christians.
What's the logic?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 11, 2014, 05:28:06 pm »

It's basically trash talking between different Christian denominations. I've heard plenty of people say Mormons aren't Christians.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: November 11, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »

It's basically trash talking between different Christian denominations. I've heard plenty of people say Mormons aren't Christians.
Yea, I'm inclined to believe this. Still, if there's logic behind it, it might be interesting.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 185