Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190577 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #2175 on: November 10, 2014, 03:36:07 pm »

Do keep in mind this is a christian beliefs discussion not an atheist discussion

Apologies. Though, "know thy enemy" and all that, right? :P
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: November 10, 2014, 03:37:40 pm »

Do keep in mind this is a christian beliefs discussion not an atheist discussion

Discussion would imply that some talk on atheism is permitted, as long as it is in a Christian-temed debate.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: November 10, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

Generally I prefer to ask people why they view faith as a good thing, and why it trumps evidence or logic. >_>

And yeah, I've never actually seen someone hold to the idea of gnostic theism. I've only ever heard of it as a strawman from fundamentalist theists, or as a philosophical point, an example of a possible stance if not probable stance.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: November 10, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »

Discussion would imply that some talk on atheism is permitted, as long as it is in a Christian-temed debate.

Ya, currently the only thread of Christianity in this discussion is the way in which different atheists view it

I don't think there is really enough Christianity in the current discussion to make it fall under this threads criteria
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: November 10, 2014, 04:03:15 pm »

Ya, currently the only thread of Christianity in this discussion is the way in which different atheists view it

I don't think there is really enough Christianity in the current discussion to make it fall under this threads criteria

That is probably down to forum demographics more than anything else. Cant blame us for trying :P
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: November 10, 2014, 04:06:43 pm »

And yeah, I've never actually seen someone hold to the idea of gnostic theism. I've only ever heard of it as a strawman from fundamentalist theists, or as a philosophical point, an example of a possible stance if not probable stance.
It's rarely consciously presented as a belief, but you get plenty of "Religion is so irrational and therefore wrong!" people, like the Oatmeal (at least according to that second comic). The belief that all religions (and especially Christianity) are wrong is very widespread - and it falls, as far as I can tell, into the category you call (or tried to call ;) ) gnostic atheism.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: November 10, 2014, 04:07:49 pm »

If you want to strictly enforce the "Christian talk only" criteria, the thread will not be quite as busy :P
A bit of discourse is healthy.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: November 10, 2014, 04:11:48 pm »

That is probably down to forum demographics more than anything else. Cant blame us for trying :P

Indeed. At least it's balanced enough to avoid this being the "everyone dogpile on these this one guy" thread.

Generally I prefer to ask people why they view faith as a good thing, and why it trumps evidence or logic. >_>
Well, there IS that religion in India that views all life as sacred (tot he extent they only use fallen branches for firewood)... and all those sacred groves there that are claimed to have helped save a number of species from extinction...

I mean, yes, we could do that normally, but the thing is most people wouldn't. They'd end up going extinct. The faith of the people is what stopped them being demolished and all those species being wiped out.

Anyways, back on track... uhh...

Nope, my brain's too far off the rails to think about the tracks.

That sounds dangerously Elfy...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:32:50 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: November 10, 2014, 07:57:35 pm »

It's rarely consciously presented as a belief, but you get plenty of "Religion is so irrational and therefore wrong!" people, like the Oatmeal (at least according to that second comic). The belief that all religions (and especially Christianity) are wrong is very widespread - and it falls, as far as I can tell, into the category you call (or tried to call ;) ) gnostic atheism.

Just because the major world religions are irrational doesn't mean there isn't a god, though.
It's simple to show that a certain doctrine is definitely wrong, when it contradicts itself.  That's what most "atheists" do, since yeah - You can't absolutely prove that there is no god.  The skeptic doesn't have to belief anything, just point out the inconsistencies.

A skeptic sees that all the major religions are either inconsistent or have no observable impact on reality (and thus are as meaningless as the invisible space unicorn theory), or both.  This means that, despite centuries of all of humanity searching for the divine, we haven't found a testable one.  It's a reasonable (but not provable) conclusion that there *isn't* a god who actually affects the world at all.  No belief involved.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 10, 2014, 08:23:47 pm »

Do note the 'all religions' bit. Specific religions being contradictory doesn't come into it.
Also note that I'm talking precisely about the people who do not make the arguments that you do. The dumb atheists, you know?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: November 10, 2014, 08:35:36 pm »

Again, I've never met one who actually thinks like that. Best I've gotten close to is Yahoo! and YouTube comments, and with Poe around and the fact that they're... Yahoo! and YouTube comments... Well, yeah.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: November 10, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »

Well moving on to a different topic

Asking the Christians here, what means do you think god will end the world?

I kinda like the idea of a gamma ray burst. Would cause a pretty hellish environment on earth until everything died off
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: November 11, 2014, 12:11:00 am »

Ran across this somewhere else. Exactly how canon are the Tzadikism Nistarim?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: November 11, 2014, 01:45:23 am »

Well moving on to a different topic

Asking the Christians here, what means do you think god will end the world?

I kinda like the idea of a gamma ray burst. Would cause a pretty hellish environment on earth until everything died off

Interesting topic! Question: When do you think it's most likely god will end the world?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: November 11, 2014, 02:10:36 am »

How is horribly slaughtering every living thing on earth compatible with a non-evil deity?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 185