Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190079 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1740 on: October 29, 2014, 08:01:36 am »

Use for what? Pokemon battles?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: October 29, 2014, 08:02:24 am »

Nah, angels didn't use to be as human as we think of 'em nowadays.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: October 29, 2014, 08:03:37 am »

Huh, so all those people claiming to have Spirit Animals may actually have been correct...but they just have to wait until they get t heaven.

Well, okay, to Hell, because they don't believe in God along with the majority of people on Earth :P

Then that would be.. 'How to train your demon'

or How your demon trains you
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:56 am »

Huh, so all those people claiming to have Spirit Animals may actually have been correct...but they just have to wait until they get t heaven.

Well, okay, to Hell, because they don't believe in God along with the majority of people on Earth :P

Then that would be.. 'How to train your demon'

or How your demon trains you

Well.. That's true now that I think about it..

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: October 29, 2014, 08:07:25 am »

Nah, Cryxis, you'd have an eternity with your demon. At the very least you'd gain a rapport with the chap after a while, maybe he'll nod and give a begrudging grin at you as he comes through the door with the torture kit, but then before you know it you'll be having deep conversations on philosophy, mathematics, and literature. Let's not forget, a demon is still an angel, and as such will not be adverse to conversation.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 29, 2014, 08:08:04 am »

Question: If Satan/Lucifer/Whatever is a rebel, why would he make hell unappealing? This just helps further Heavens goals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: October 29, 2014, 08:09:46 am »

I wonder if those designs of angels are based in part off the Argus, or a peacock.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: October 29, 2014, 08:11:44 am »

As mentioned before, hell would be a melting pot of all the greatest minds in history, many of whom either doubted or out right disbelieved God, or who simply through some small fault on earth were eternally damned.

By the time they're done with it, Hell will have God damn plumbing and Jacuzzis.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: October 29, 2014, 08:14:19 am »

As mentioned before, hell would be a melting pot of all the greatest minds in history, many of whom either doubted or out right disbelieved God, or who simply through some small fault on earth were eternally damned.

By the time they're done with it, Hell will have God damn plumbing and Jacuzzis.

The Jacuzzis would be filled to the brim with eternal hellfire though. But hey, Jaccuzis!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 29, 2014, 08:16:19 am »

No, no, you don't understand! The huge power potential in geothermal hellfire energy would power cooling systems, and no doubt water or a water substitute could be found! If no water at all, well then that sucks, but I could stick not having a Jacuzzi.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:47 am »

Question: If Satan/Lucifer/Whatever is a rebel, why would he make hell unappealing? This just helps further Heavens goals.

He didn't create hell nor does he actually live there
He actually technically has full reign of earth for now and the angels that fought with him, if i remember correctly, were sent to hell.
Hell is just the eternal punishment of god and the reason Satan wants people to go there is one of several reasons
He doesn't want more people to go to heaven
He hates humans with an unlimited passion
and a few probably many others that i forgot

I'm pretty sure the "flying eyeball critters" are angels.

no not the angels
my youth group was learning about heaven and the youth pastor found a passage(s) that said something about there being other people, god/Christ, streets of gold, pearly gates, and strange creatures crazy critters

I just said the flying eyeball thing cause I thought that would be cool not because that is what was mention in the verse(s)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: October 29, 2014, 08:38:09 am »

The only verse I can find describing pearly gates is Revelation 21:21, and there are no fantastic creatures mentioned. It is in Revelation, though, so I'm sure there are some descriptions of trippy creatures in the surrounding chapters.

Also how do people interpret Revelation? I usually see it described as an obviously symbolic/metaphorical book, but people pull out Revelation verses and interpret them literally all the time.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1752 on: October 29, 2014, 08:48:04 am »

Revelations makes far more sense taken figuratively. It seems unlikely that Jesus is going to return with his tongue turned into a double edged sword, and such like.

Dwarfy, you know that hell is already a physical impossibility and that therefore adding such further impossibilties as never seeing anothe human again are entirely possible, right? Hell is, well, hell. There point is that there is no way for the damned to make it less hellish.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: October 29, 2014, 08:57:05 am »

Revelations makes far more sense taken figuratively. It seems unlikely that Jesus is going to return with his tongue turned into a double edged sword, and such like.

Dwarfy, you know that hell is already a physical impossibility and that therefore adding such further impossibilties as never seeing anothe human again are entirely possible, right? Hell is, well, hell. There point is that there is no way for the damned to make it less hellish.

Well, hell, like heaven, is supposed to be an infinite plane, although it probably doesn't have to be infinite, just massive in size, like galaxy sized maybe. Then again, you'd have all eternity to wander.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: October 29, 2014, 08:59:18 am »

Hell is just the eternal punishment of god and the reason Satan wants people to go there is one of several reasons
He doesn't want more people to go to heaven
He hates humans with an unlimited passion
and a few probably many others that i forgot
Seriously, unless I missed a few verses when I checked through 'em, the only motivation for Satan that is explicitly stated in the bible was doing freaking YWHW's command in a couple of cases. That was it. Other than that, it deceived but its reason for deceiving was never stated.

And as for hell, it is magnificently ill described. There's some bits on fire, but the nature, extent, and so forth, insofar as I noticed, was unmentioned. There's also contradictory bits (like in that revelations bit -- 21 or 22 puts the sinners and whatnot outside the city, not in hell, alongside a couple other oddities.), parts that ascribe fire only to a specific group (sodom, gomorrah, and surrounding cities) or specifically to the rebellious angels and false prophets, with no mention made of others. I'm also seeing it alternately described as eternal darkness, plain destruction, or simple disconnection from YWHW's presence. It's a bit of a mess.

Also, no, there's no mention as to its size. Some mention of it actually being on earth, iirc.

And, interestingly enough, the bible apparently explicitly states the existence of Hades. What's up with that? Just shanghaiing another religion's word?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 185