Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190135 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1605 on: October 26, 2014, 09:06:29 am »

I've yet to see a discussion on Islam not end in a flame war. The same, to a lesser degree, may be said of Christian discussions. That we have one that doesn't is a good thing. Let's not add in more flame-worthy stuff and chance fate.

If you want to have discussions on Islam and Judaism too, then make separate threads on them. If you don't want to, then I'd be happy to.

Besides, I don't particularly see the point in merging the topics: When we've wanted to talk about the separate religions of Abraham, we have done so. This is a general discussion that most people are interested in. If you want in-depth, specific discussion, then make separate threads. Otherwise, everything will get more and more general. I like this specific discussion on Christianity, making it Abrahamic will make it lose its specific, in depth analysis.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 26, 2014, 09:26:58 am »

With everyone against it
I want to hear the people who voted for both to be added
So if you want one or both to be added then please speak up or I will close the poll and continue as normal
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 26, 2014, 11:30:28 am »

The "Islam is an inevitable flame war" thing has been beaten to death. I think this thread shows people can be more mature than that, but if you think otherwise don't add the topic. As far as I can tell, Judaism would be pretty harmless to add.

I don't see a point in separating the discussions. When people want to talk about something specific, they will. Just like nothing has stopped people from bringing up Judaism and Islam a bit in this thread, nothing will be stopping people from talking specifically about Christianity in a new thread. More threads would also explicitly separate discussion of them, and I think that would make it harder to have discussions comparing the two religions or discussing their interactions.

If it solves the problem, I'll just make a new Islam Beliefs and Discussion Thread. It separates the potential flame war from this thread, which  I rather like, and accomplishes the same thing as adding it here. Hey, I'll even add a link to it in this thread!
I've yet to see a discussion on Islam not end in a flame war.

I especially don't want an Islam thread made by someone who thinks Islam threads are doomed to failure. That sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. If Cryxis decides not to add Islam, I'll get off my ass and make a thread because I actually think people can handle talking about this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: October 26, 2014, 11:34:20 am »

It separates the potential flame war from this thread.

I don't think it's inevitable. I think it's possible, and if you don't think it is too, then I don't know what else I can say.

I'm impressed with this thread: I don't want to stretch it.

I'd be as good a thread owner as you, and it's rather arrogant to say otherwise.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: October 26, 2014, 11:47:52 am »

SubGenius isn't sub-Abrahamic, it's not even close my friend.

Jehovah is part of the SubGenius pantheon.

Granted they say that he's the same entity as Odin and Ra, and that he's a space alien, and that his latest prophet is a door-to-door dildo salesman who subcontracted the prophet job off to a redneck hippie and an unlicenced doctor.

and Granted, SubGenius is, and is intended to be, mostly hipster athiests who worship in order to be ironic, but they still do it and ultimately that's what counts.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:49:39 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 26, 2014, 11:59:38 am »

Like the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: October 26, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »

Ok I've got a new idea
Since people don't want to stretch it and this thread is aparently peoples to to poke and prod the crap out of Christians
I will open an "Abrahamic Religions discussion, cross reference, and Beliefs" thread
It solves the problem of possibly destroying this thread and still allows for the discussion of all Abrahamic religions in one thread
I will need help monitoring it but I have faith in bay12 to be mature about it

Fingers crossed that this works

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 26, 2014, 08:43:40 pm »

So had a nice sermon at church today
It included many things such as modern persecution of Christians
He preached about how he interprets the "turn the other cheek" as what to do when being persecuted and not when you are actually being physically attacked
Kinda a you go to your parents or an official if you are assaulted but you go to god if you are persecuted for your faith

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: October 26, 2014, 08:45:12 pm »

So the Jews should have turned to God? If they did, it didn't do them much good...
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: October 26, 2014, 08:46:43 pm »

He preached about how he interprets the "turn the other cheek" as what to do when being persecuted and not when you are actually being physically attacked
Kinda a you go to your parents or an official if you are assaulted but you go to god if you are persecuted for your faith
You personally experience religious persecution for being Christian? That's pretty surprising given you live in the USA. I thought it was predominantly Christian both in population and in culture (to a degree).
I might have been non-surprised (not sure if there's a word for that) by it were you in the Middle East, but you're not.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 26, 2014, 08:52:41 pm »

That's... probably a pricklier topic than it should be, grak. A fair number of the religious institutions in the US have a very different interpretation of "persecution" than... well, what's probably sane. I wish there was a nicer way of putting that, but I can't really think of one :-\

And the public dialectic such groups put out regarding the subject is kinda' toxic. We're talking cries of persecution for stuff like having to pay equitable taxes or follow constitutional law, iirc.

And unsurprised works just fine, I think.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 26, 2014, 08:57:31 pm »

Do note: Persecution doesn't involve something like a Sikh wearing a turban in public, or having your religion taken out of schools (that is, beyond something like World Religions or History or something) or even being mocked by atheists*. :P

Things like being denied a job [despite otherwise getting it], getting dirty looks/crossing the street to avoid you, being physically attacked for being Christian, etc. That's persecution. The rest of it is just losing the pedestal y'alls religion's been placed on, and that no idea or ideology is immune to criticism.

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: October 26, 2014, 08:59:14 pm »

I don't really feel like explaining the serious issues with that picture...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: October 26, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »

Then don't comment on it, because I can't see any "serious" issues with it and if you're not willing to share what issues you see, it's a non-post. An anti-post.

At best, the choice of symbols they used, some of them I could see someone takin' issue with, but other than that?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: October 26, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »

So the Jews should have turned to God? If they did, it didn't do them much good...

The Jewish aren't exactly Christians

You personally experience religious persecution for being Christian? That's pretty surprising given you live in the USA. I thought it was predominantly Christian both in population and in culture (to a degree).
I might have been non-surprised (not sure if there's a word for that) by it were you in the Middle East, but you're not.

Not specificly us but other people in other nations
And I feel a wave of persecution is about to hit the US
There is a mayor or some other government official that ordered subpoenas for church sermons to make sure they don't go against one of their new ordinances or some other 
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 185