Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 190163 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #1485 on: October 24, 2014, 09:25:25 pm »

I'm... not sure how much mental twisting you need to get "Christians, not Jews" from "people of Israel"

But it sounds like it would hurt.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 24, 2014, 09:26:03 pm »

P.S.
Why do you refer to God the Father solely as YHWH, and God the Son as "Streaker J?"
For the former, it seems both more accurate and more respectful (well, to believers -- my respect for YWHW itself is zero.). Original transcriber's likely gender bias aside, the concept of assigning a gender to something omnipresent or so beyond human as YWHW is ascribed as being is vaguely farcical to me. So I stick to YWHW (and I avoid Yaweh simply because YWHW is less letters) or it, when referring to the presumed creator deity. Try to, anyway.

As for not just using God... honestly, I find it better to stick to something more definite. There's a lot of Gods -- effectively three (at the absolute least), just among the major abrahamic religions. YWHW's more specific, y'know? Also not quite ready to stop reminding both myself and others that, no, christians haven't completely divorced themselves from the abomination of the being the OT describes.

As for Streaker J.
Quote from: for the lazy
All that said, Wink's interpretation makes for much more amusing headcanon, and I like it better, now. Christ, He Who Advocated Public Indecency to Shame Your Oppressors.

Streaker J is yesunim's street name now, by the way.

Also ninja'd, huh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 24, 2014, 09:29:28 pm »

Responding to Gnorm's last two questions:

1: Presumably because YHWH is as close to His original name as we can get.

2: Because of this.

And Arc, he was doing no harm. I'd rather he's find confrontation to his views somewhere, and if he doesn't want confrontation, he can always ask and I, at least, will stop.

You're probably right there. Confrontation is good. I much prefer the current religious climate to when the Church had more power. Not that I remember that period all that much. That was a while ago and I kind of lost track of exact years. However, I took offense to his arguments/justifications. And its hard to discern tones of voice from text. It seemed like it was an internet yelling match or something. Still, seems to have cooled down.

* Arcvasti retracts his points and stuffs them into his now-overflowing marsupial pouch

EDIT: ALSO EVERYONE POSTS SO FAST. AND SINCE I REVISE AND REWORK MY POSTS SO MUCH, WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY IS ALWAYS ~5-10 POSTS REMOVED FROM WHAT I WANTED TO RESPOND TO.

Arcvasti has died from ninja-induced hyperventilation

I wasn't trying to sound like I was yelling

If anything I was a bit sad about it

I use god just because that's what I have been raised to call him, so I mean no offence when I say it. It's just how I've learned to refer to as
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:56 pm »

I'm... not sure how much mental twisting you need to get "Christians, not Jews" from "people of Israel"

But it sounds like it would hurt.
To clarify, Israel the man, not Israel the country; the status of "people of Israel" is, in the context of the New Testament writings, the inheritance of the status of Chosen People of God.

Though yes, skimming through Scripture to try to find good arguments did kind of hurt at times.

As for Streaker J.
Quote from: for the lazy
All that said, Wink's interpretation makes for much more amusing headcanon, and I like it better, now. Christ, He Who Advocated Public Indecency to Shame Your Oppressors.

Streaker J is yesunim's street name now, by the way.

Also ninja'd, huh.
Interesting, but it's hardly the worst thing you've said about God, so I won't get too angry about it.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 24, 2014, 11:23:25 pm »

This is a Christian thread, not just an abortion thread, figure this is a good place to put my general beliefs for discussion and maybe avert the broiling storm here. Certainly better than IRC... sorry Wrex.

Anyway! It amazes me how different people of the same religion can be in their religion, and a prime example of this rests between Cryxis and I. Cryxis seems to take a very interventionalist view of God, whereas everything I believe points in the exact opposite direction.

I think God was responsible for the Big Bang, the creation of the universe, by setting the laws of the universe when it all started... and I think that with one exception, at least one for us humans (can't go speaking for any alien races that may be out there!), God entirely leaves us alone to function by the ways the world works, scientifically discovered, etc. I believe in evolution, billions of years of the universe, etc., I just think that God set events moving in the very beginning.

But this means that God isn't responsible for policing us, for death, natural disasters, any of that; what happens to us humans is purely by bad luck with nature or by consequence of the fact that we've got both sentience and free will-- though I of course wouldn't have it any other way, as I think a world where things happen because -we- did it is better than a utopia created by another, even God: it is our world, after all.

Now, I do believe in Jesus as the one, single exception to this rule, as I am Christian. Being the son of God is a pretty significant thing, after all, and someone as influential as Jesus would certainly be important enough for the one exception to the rule.

So... comments or criticisms, I guess?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 24, 2014, 11:29:27 pm »

I agree with some of what you said in that god started the universe and set up all these science laws to conduct it

I do believe a good amount of time was spent making it and the days explained in the bible are just used to translate how much effort god really out into it ((not much))
I believe in evolution to an extent and that is changing to survive but I don't believe in actually evolving though
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 24, 2014, 11:33:31 pm »

that is changing to survive but I don't believe in actually evolving though
That is evolution though?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 24, 2014, 11:44:05 pm »

that is changing to survive but I don't believe in actually evolving though
That is evolution though?

Intelligent design much? It states[Paraphrasing here] that the laws of physics and nature are an algorithm or something to that effect that God created to generate a world. And that, while humankinds ancestors WERE indeed simianesque creatures, we are uniquely gifted with souls and higher intelligence. Not sure where other sapient life fits into this. I guess we'll have to wait and find out. In any case, evolution and creation are not mutually exclusive. Nor are Science and Religion, at least until we get good enough at the former to either prove or disprove the latter unambiguously[Which may or may not even be possible.].
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 24, 2014, 11:48:19 pm »

---

Do you have any Biblical support for this?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 25, 2014, 12:02:28 am »

I don't base my faith off of the Bible. Ultimately, what I believe is my choice and my choice alone.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 25, 2014, 12:09:03 am »

Of course. That's how it is with everyone. In my opinion, a Christianity that starts leaning just a tad further from the Bible isn't that bad a thing.

But the problem does remain that, in terms of historical precedent, it's much harder to verify. Most Christians take the easy way out and say "I don't believe in evolution because...[Insert Typical Argument]...and that's what the Bibles says, so it's true! Given that evolution is rather hard to deny, it stands to reason there would be those who leant away from the bible in light of this.

(Remind me never to type at this time again. The typos....the typos....)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: October 25, 2014, 12:12:39 am »

The bible only actually is against evolution if you take a hardline stance on the creation of the world being Young Earth, anyway. The bible doesn't ever say anything against evolution; of course it doesn't, it's thousands of years old!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 25, 2014, 12:33:56 am »

Keep in mind that Young Earth Creation isn't much older, as a doctrine, than the Theory of Evolution. While earlier authorities used the Bible as a guidepost for determining the age of the world, this was more due to it being the closest thing available to a reliable historical record (by the second millenium (1000s), pretty much anything older than the Hellenic period had either been completely forgotten in Christendom or was little more than legend), and most organized Christian sects had, during the Renaissance and Enlightenment, gradually accepted that the Earth was older than had been previously believed. YEC owes as much to the backlash against the "Cult Of Reason" prominent in the late 18th through mid 19th centuries (best evidenced in the brutal and bloody suppression of religion during the French Revolution) that birthed the modern Fundamentalist movement.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 25, 2014, 01:05:16 am »

Well yeah there's not much point in making something a commonly held belief a doctrine until there's a serious challenge to it.
So... comments or criticisms, I guess?
Other than the Jesus part it's quite a standard prime mover belief.  Although that one part does confuse it - the God you profess to believe in otherwise appears to be a completely amoral, non-interacting observer, why did he make an exception for Jesus and what was he trying to achieve?
Intelligent design much? It states[Paraphrasing here] that the laws of physics and nature are an algorithm or something to that effect that God created to generate a world. And that, while humankinds ancestors WERE indeed simianesque creatures, we are uniquely gifted with souls and higher intelligence. Not sure where other sapient life fits into this. I guess we'll have to wait and find out. In any case, evolution and creation are not mutually exclusive. Nor are Science and Religion, at least until we get good enough at the former to either prove or disprove the latter unambiguously[Which may or may not even be possible.].
It's not possible because most modern interpretations of religions are deliberately designed to be unfalsifiable.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 25, 2014, 07:56:54 am »

I wouldn't say deliberately designed to be unfalsifiable, more that unfalsifiable interpretations are all they can use without being ridiculed.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 185