Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Now I Know Why I Fear The Night! (spoilers)  (Read 2619 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now I Know Why I Fear The Night! (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 02:49:50 pm »

But having to drop in fresh clothes every month would be a pain. Hmm, you might be able to make a multilevel shaft above them with alternating doors and hatches triggered by the were-timer so that each month a fresh set of clothes gets dropped in and clothing in higher levels gets dropped down two levels each month. You would just have to load up the shaft once every few months via side access points. It might work.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 03:04:21 pm »

Do the clothes get destroyed? I thought they are just unequipped, which depending on settings ma forbid them. Just d-b-c claim them and they'll put them on again when the transformation runs out. The hatch is for throwing in new clothes when the old ones become too worn.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 04:05:24 pm »

Yeah, but reclaiming them every month would be a pain. Once you have a clothing industry set up, it would be easier to just load up an auto-dumper twice a year. But even that would be a hassle. The whole point of a were-time is to reduce micromanagement.

Oh, wait. We have a monthly timer that could cause a minecart to dump a load of clothes in the shaft every month. Then the dwarves would reload the cart automatically. As long as the falling clothes don't kill the were outright, it would heal when it transforms. It would be more clothes than we really need, but a clothing industry set up, they're basically free. It would be nice to have an automatic way to clear them out from time to time, though.

But I'm not really sure it's necessary. If the dwarf gets sad because of being nekked and goes melancholy, I'm not sure it would be a problem. Hmmm, but if it throws a tantrum or goes berserk, I suppose it might destroy the pressure plate, which would be a problem. I wonder if surrounding it with masterwork statues and occasionally dumping a little water in its head would be enough to keep it happy, despite the lack of clothes. The 'uncovered' bad feelings are pretty strong.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 04:14:07 pm »

Well, I once had a locked up Were Beast. Every time she transformed she threw her clothes off. I'd always reclaim them. One day, I left them forbidden and she went melancholy. I regretted it. I wouldn't risk it.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 04:26:46 pm »

What happened to her when she went melancholy? If all the were is doing is acting as a timer, I don't see why it would be a problem. but you have experience, and I just have conjecture. Why did you regret it?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 04:49:54 pm »

What happened to her when she went melancholy? If all the were is doing is acting as a timer, I don't see why it would be a problem. but you have experience, and I just have conjecture. Why did you regret it?
I wanted to make an army from her! I wanted MORE! I was unable to spread the condition because a melancholy Were Beast doesn't attack civilians.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »

I only have one surviving were-dwarf at present.

I've kept the entire thing very simple.  I dug an outdoor accessible, but seperate from my fortress 7x7 training room and locked her inside.

She's a medium-high level hammerdwarf, in her own squad, kitted fully in various crap metal armors.  She does not seem to toss off all of her gear when transformed, but will lose the clothes...OR she actually puts her own military gear back on because it is part of her squad kit?  Not sure. I thought she was hanging on to the hammer when transformed at least. 

She does not need food, sleep or healing.

She is completely content, and I often let her mingle anywhere with the others unless "were" (haha) getting to that time of the month. I will engrave the room and put statues in soon just keep her spirits up.

She had a baby that she does not eat when she transforms.  I am curious if he will grow up to be were-mongoose infected too, or if he is already.  Also not sure yet but I don't think he has the infection.

This is all just so she can train and train and get legendary and just be the main attacker as I am only in year two of the fortress.  If I end up w/ more  were-mongoose infected that's just awesome they will join her squad. 

Watching her flipout once a month is just too exciting to me.  I even forgot about the dwarf traders and they left because I was too involved with this new were-badass.

I want more were-dwarves immediately for this team but am not sure how to spread the disease without fatalities yet.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 06:35:16 pm »

I wonder if you can send in a squad of unarmed, untrained dorfs clad in armor everywhere except their feet or something?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 06:50:03 pm »

There actually is a way. Cage the infected Dwarf. Construct their cage in a small room with some military Dwarves that have only a helm each. The floor should be lined with cage traps. Station the militia in there and pull a lever to release the creature when she/he transforms. Hopefully, the surviving Dwarves will get knocked out after being bitten and trigger the cage traps. Warning: Do not attempt with valuable Dwarves as they can still die during conflict. All infected Dwarves should now be isolated into a mini fort and train to legendary. When a siege comes, let the Were dogs out.

Also, if you don't know how to release caged Dwarves, just build a cage, designate ten to it and pull a lever linked to said cage.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 07:13:26 pm »

Her child's "thoughts" page reads like a demon's resume and he's only eight months old.  I think he IS infected but isn't yet showing signs or turning.  Do babies eat from the community stocks?  Do were-babies?  She is happily married, so perhaps I can just BREED an army of were-babies!

Quartz_Mace, does an unconscious dwarf falling on a cage-trap trigger it?  Will getting bit result in a knockout every time?  I'm not familiar with setting traps to catch our guys on purpose, but I understand how your room would work and protect people from harm in general if those assumptions are correct.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 07:26:50 pm »

So what are this kid's thoughts? I haven't looked at too many demon resumes lately.

Babies eat from their mommy's breast. Actually, I suspect they simply don't eat at all, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure they don't eat normal food, though. I suspect if it did transform, it would happily eat from the community stocks. Or rather, just from the community.

Yes, an unconscious dwarf in a tile with a cage trap gets caught. Handy at times, annoying at others. To get it out you need to build the cage (b->j, select location, then hit x to select the specific cage with the dwarf), then link it to a lever and pull the lever. The dwarf, cage, and one mechanism all pop loose. To recover the other mechanism you have to deconstruct the lever.

No, getting bit won't always result in a knockout. But if the were keeps biting and shaking the dwarf, it will probably give in to the pain and get caged eventually. But it could still bleed to death in the cage before you can get it out, especially if the were rips any limbs off. Of course, the were could bite him on the head and shake, ripping the head off, helm or no helm. As Quartz_Mace said, there is a certain amount of risk to this process. Expect to lose a few. Just keep reminding yourself what Stalin said about eggs and omelettes.

But any that survive until the next full moon will have those missing limbs restored. \o/

Keith

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 07:33:19 pm »

Her child's "thoughts" page reads like a demon's resume and he's only eight months old.  I think he IS infected but isn't yet showing signs or turning.  Do babies eat from the community stocks?  Do were-babies?  She is happily married, so perhaps I can just BREED an army of were-babies!

Quartz_Mace, does an unconscious dwarf falling on a cage-trap trigger it?  Will getting bit result in a knockout every time?  I'm not familiar with setting traps to catch our guys on purpose, but I understand how your room would work and protect people from harm in general if those assumptions are correct.
Yes, unconscious Dwarves will trigger cage traps if on them. A bite will not always result in a knockout, but if they do jam, fracture, or shatter a bone when biting or just after, the Dwarf will pass out. How often they'll cause such damage mostly depends on the jaw of the base animal, but I've seen a Were Elk bite a dwarf and simultaneously shatter a bone, so it seems common. Like Keith said, Dwarves will likely die regardless, but you'll likely get some good super soldiers in the end!
Retired/Extended Sigs

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 07:51:40 pm »

Big thanks for all the advice folks.  This is the best board on the web.

Just to pick a few choice lines from the child's thoughts:

He is incredibly tough.  He personally believes that those that value leisure time are evil and finds the whole idea disgusting, finds the following of tradition foolish and limiting, believes it is important to conceal emotions and refrain from complaining and does not care about friendship.

What a jerk!  The kid is 9 months old.  I'm just getting that vibe that he's not normal at all, and would love to see him turn ;)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 09:08:31 pm »

Big thanks for all the advice folks.  This is the best board on the web.

Just to pick a few choice lines from the child's thoughts:

He is incredibly tough.  He personally believes that those that value leisure time are evil and finds the whole idea disgusting, finds the following of tradition foolish and limiting, believes it is important to conceal emotions and refrain from complaining and does not care about friendship.

What a jerk!  The kid is 9 months old.  I'm just getting that vibe that he's not normal at all, and would love to see him turn ;)
He sounds like he'll become some tyrant, radical, extremist, or other type of maniac. Congratulations!
Retired/Extended Sigs

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 05:30:42 am »

Fun fact: I once had a fort infected by a wereanteater. That transferred the curse by biting a woodcutter. What.  ???
Quote from: Wikipedia
All anteaters have elongated snouts equipped with a thin tongue that can be extended to a length greater than the length of the head; their tube-shaped mouths have lips but no teeth.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 [2] 3