Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strap-on shields?  (Read 3623 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Strap-on shields?
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:19:24 pm »

Currently, it is possible for a Dwarf to lose a hand or lose function of a hand, limiting them to only be able to carry either a weapon or a shield into combat. Do you think that a new type of shield should be added that straps on to a Dwarf's arm to circumvent this? In real life, their were strap-on shields, so warriors could wield a weapon and shield, and have a free hand if healthy, or just gain the ability if crippled. Shouldn't there be a way to make them in DF? I'm thinking combining a shield with two straps of leather at a craftsworkshop. Is it a good idea?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Strap-on shields?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:23:25 pm »

A mini-shield would be great. Even weaker than the buckler, but you could equip two as arm covers. Two mini-shields, a normal shield, and a weapon.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »

A mini-shield would be great. Even weaker than the buckler, but you could equip two as arm covers. Two mini-shields, a normal shield, and a weapon.

Or just make the buckler strap to an arm.  Thats half of what they did,

Either way, dwarves can wield and reload a crossbow while using a shield and/or melee weapon.  No biggie.

In adventure mode, you can wield a near infinite number of shields in one hand.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:15:26 pm »

Either way, dwarves can wield and reload a crossbow while using a shield and/or melee weapon.  No biggie.

Really? I thought they fixed that bug with being able to hold multiple things in one hand. I remember when I had a Dwarf with 50+ shields and was completely invincible. Alas, killing everything gets boring.

Anyway, I meant for Dwarf mode, not Adventure. I was saying that a Dwarf who has lost a hand or hand function can't use a shield and that a strap-on would be a realistic remedy to that.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:19:41 pm »

Also, bucklers are knuckle shields, just they commonly get misinterpreted as other round shields. Bucklers were held on either the wrist or out in front of the fist, in a similar way to lanterns. That's why they were called lantern shields for a while. Basically, the game's bucklers aren't bucklers. More likely targes.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:24:39 pm »

Really? I thought they fixed that bug with being able to hold multiple things in one hand. I remember when I had a Dwarf with 50+ shields and was completely invincible. Alas, killing everything gets boring.

Anyway, I meant for Dwarf mode, not Adventure. I was saying that a Dwarf who has lost a hand or hand function can't use a shield and that a strap-on would be a realistic remedy to that.

Maybe they did.  Damn, now Im concerned.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
well, in 40.12 its still a go in adventurer.  Id also wager its okay in fort mode.

I like the idea, and honestly thought they did it as the default now.  They do in aventurer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:26:32 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 08:45:23 pm »

This thread was not what I was hoping it was about.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 09:16:19 pm »

Don't worry, we all thought it too.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 11:20:05 pm »

Sounds like a case for guiges.  I'd guess that it's probably something that could be abstracted into every shield so that a dwarf could use a shield with no hands at some skill penalty.  Maybe worth cross posting this in the suggestions forum, but I wouldn't expect to see it added any time soon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 11:34:08 pm »

Currently, it is possible for a Dwarf to lose a hand or lose function of a hand, limiting them to only be able to carry either a weapon or a shield into combat. Do you think that a new type of shield should be added that straps on to a Dwarf's arm to circumvent this? In real life, their were strap-on shields, so warriors could wield a weapon and shield, and have a free hand if healthy, or just gain the ability if crippled. Shouldn't there be a way to make them in DF? I'm thinking combining a shield with two straps of leather at a craftsworkshop. Is it a good idea?

I thought they already could carry both? They could last version...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »

Have you ever tried to strap something to your forearm and keep it from rotating around your arm? A shield would keep falling down so it was under the arm, not on the side. if you tighten the straps so much that it stayed in place, you'd cut off circulation. That's why shields have handles, so you can grip them and hold them in position.

You might be able to put straps on both the forearm and upper arm with the elbow held bent, but then you'd be very limited in how you could move it. You'd also have to keep the top of the shield pretty low to avoid whacking yourself in the face with it.

Play around with a piece of plywood and some leather straps and see if you can make something that works decently. I'll bet you can't.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 02:53:41 pm »

Have you ever tried to strap something to your forearm and keep it from rotating around your arm? A shield would keep falling down so it was under the arm, not on the side. if you tighten the straps so much that it stayed in place, you'd cut off circulation. That's why shields have handles, so you can grip them and hold them in position.

You might be able to put straps on both the forearm and upper arm with the elbow held bent, but then you'd be very limited in how you could move it. You'd also have to keep the top of the shield pretty low to avoid whacking yourself in the face with it.

Play around with a piece of plywood and some leather straps and see if you can make something that works decently. I'll bet you can't.

Keith
Hmm. I never thought of it that way. Guess cripples have to stay crippled, unless the handles could fit around the arm without sliding or causing other problems. I suppose a Dwarf can parry and attack with their weapon anyway.
Retired/Extended Sigs

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »

I imagined an adult doll being held by a dwarf with a very angry face...
That and a hook hand with the hook being replaced by-
*THIS LINE HAS BEEN CUT*
Flaming Baby Catapult

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 03:26:49 pm »

My legendary sworddwarves generally live just as fine without shields, if I haven't gotten a carpenter going yet. Parrying is really effective.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 05:30:01 pm »

I have come with a solution.

Make a sword gauntlet thing for the crippled arm and put the shield in the good hand.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)
Pages: [1] 2