Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What did my dwarf just make...  (Read 4265 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
What did my dwarf just make...
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:16:38 pm »

I had my armour smith go into a fey mood, then when he was done, he had made a segmented breastplate. What? I've never seen those before. Are they good? I don't know if I should use it or not.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: What did my dwarf just make...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:18:27 pm »

It's just a random description. It should be good if it's made from a good material.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »

Oh, okay. Good, it's made of steel! Another piece of armour for my future king. I want to outfit the king completely in artifacts when he comes. Already have a long sword, a shield, a segmented breastplate, and a helm. This will take a while...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:36:42 pm »

You'd probably be better off giving them to your captain of the guard.if i remember correctly,unmodded kings can't be placed in squads.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »

Here's a visual for you. It's basically armor with abs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »

It's too bad that dwarves only get happy thoughts from furniture, and not from what they're wearing. Your King could be so fully emblingened he can barely move, and still be all "dined in a substandard dining room lately."
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »

It's too bad that dwarves only get happy thoughts from furniture, and not from what they're wearing. Your King could be so fully emblingened he can barely move, and still be all "dined in a substandard dining room lately."
Actually, I believe that it will count as his property if he wears it. Dwarves will receive happiness multiplers from owned objects, or at least they did in the last version. That's part of why naked Dwarves commonly go insane.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »

Huh, interested breastplate. One of the fixes a mod I have, among many, is to make kings and barons and such happily join military. I normally have my baron/duke/count/monarch at the head of my military. Dwarven king versus goblin deity/demon? I'd pay to see that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:48 am »

Could also be lamellar armor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamellar_armour

Comes in everything from joined plates, to sewn scales, to overlaping plates--- The term basically means "layered armor" (Same root word as laminate, eg, laminate flooring-- a layer on top of existing flooring-- or lamination-- coating something in a protective layer. also as in lamellar flow, describing an smooth, and unbroken layer of a liquid that is flowing.)

Many types of lamellar armor exist-- everything from roman cuirasses, to the depicted japanese ones, to leather scale armor, and so much more.

Personally, I am thinking more plate armor, like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:47 am »

Ooh, those are cool.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:54 pm »

A common type of armor for roman legionaries was Lorica Segmentata.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »

Actually, he made a divine armor type, which is one of the dynamically generated armor types that Divine beings can wear. The stats are likely identical to that of a normal breastplate.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 06:18:42 pm »

Oh. Well that's just awesome!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 06:53:03 pm »

Oh. Well that's just awesome!
Actually, it's not divine. Check your forge and you'll probably see no "forge segmented" anything section. Unfortunelty, it's just a name, unless he made it from Segmented metal, which I doubt he did. You didn't happen to have any Divine metal lying around, did you?
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »

No, definitely not. If I did, I'd be pumping it into spears. The fort that artifact is in has eight spear masters.
Pages: [1] 2