Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do I do next?  (Read 1495 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do I do next?
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:05:04 pm »

I've got a great location, plenty of iron, beachside, lots of game to hunt, a constant source of food due to turkeys and farming, and about ten working dorfs. I'm just setting up the boxing-in of my fort, using walls and a bridge to build an impenetrable entrance, have dorms set up, and the first floor of Greek-cross style dense housing. One of my immigrants is a medical dorf, whose skills are in wound dressing and surgery. I'm not sure what to do with him, because he can't diagnose. I've hit the caves, and am planning to build a well to get dat clean water. But I'm not sure what to do next.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do next?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 03:15:42 pm »

Start four-five smelters pumping out coke, iron, and steel, with the last one of them pumping coke and non-iron based metals, like gold and silver.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:20:11 pm »

Thanks! This is so that I don't have to do this sort of thing later?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »

Yeah, an efficient smelter setup close to an ore and economic stone only stockpile, with a metal bar only stockpile nearby needs little management besides mining. One smelter isn't enough to quickly get stocks up to fortress needs.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:24:18 pm »

Awesome. I'll set my Great Milker to work as a smelter...or a wood furnacer.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »

Make a military. Have a crossbow squad with shields, heavy crossbows, mail shirts, and helmets. Have a fully equipped melee militia with. For armor, use a mail shirt, helm, high boots, and gauntlets. For weapons, axes or swords will do for now. I'd go with swords because they can slash and stab, while axes only hack. Granted, axes are better for chopping things off, but you don't need to chop an enemy in half to kill them.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:06:28 pm »

Is there a distinction between heavy and "light" crossbows ingame? How many soldiers per squad?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:12:52 pm »

Heavy crossbows are metal ones, light crossbows are wooden. Only difference is weight and effectiveness in close combat. Copper is the best crossbow.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:17:34 pm »

I'd say 5 melee and 10 ranged. And yes, copper for crossbows if possible. All shields should be wooden to decrease weight. You might want the marksDwarves to be heavy enough to not run into a fight and light enough to run out, which they should be with this.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 04:23:52 pm »

Mail shirt, helmet, copper crossbow, wooden shield, leather armour, leggings, high boots, and gloves.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 04:30:31 pm »

Mail shirt, helmet, copper crossbow, wooden shield, leather armour, leggings, high boots, and gloves.
If you want to include the leather, you may, but the metal suit alone covers the whole body. The extra layers might provide a bit more protection against slashing, but if you don't have much leather you can skip them.
Retired/Extended Sigs

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 04:45:01 pm »

Start four-five smelters pumping out coke, iron, and steel, with the last one of them pumping coke and non-iron based metals, like gold and silver.
HOLD UP! Enemies are attracted by the wealth of your fortress. Smelting tons of precious metals that you're not going to get any real use out of is an engraved invitation for the goblins (and much, much worse) to come a-knocking. Have fun driving them back with your whopping TEN dwarves. Wait until you get more migrants, some of whom will already have military skills, before you work with gold or the like. (Even *mining* the ores & gems adds to your wealth.) You might even want to hold off working with steel until you've got a really good Smith: Steel is worth exactly as much as gold.

As for your doctor, just enable ALL of his medical labors. It doesn't matter that he has no experience as a Diagnoser: Skill in the medical professions has zero effect on how well the job is performed, just on the time it takes to do it.

Don't put too much value on having copper crossbows--that's the best allowed material for them, yes, but as far as melee weapons go, ALL crossbows suck goblin vomit. Keep your marksdwarves out of melee if possible, unless you find it amusing to arm your troops with wiffle bats.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 05:03:23 pm »

HOLD UP! Enemies are attracted by the wealth of your fortress. Smelting tons of precious metals that you're not going to get any real use out of is an engraved invitation for the goblins (and much, much worse) to come a-knocking. Have fun driving them back with your whopping TEN dwarves. Wait until you get more migrants, some of whom will already have military skills, before you work with gold or the like. (Even *mining* the ores & gems adds to your wealth.) You might even want to hold off working with steel until you've got a really good Smith: Steel is worth exactly as much as gold.

As for your doctor, just enable ALL of his medical labors. It doesn't matter that he has no experience as a Diagnoser: Skill in the medical professions has zero effect on how well the job is performed, just on the time it takes to do it.

Don't put too much value on having copper crossbows--that's the best allowed material for them, yes, but as far as melee weapons go, ALL crossbows suck goblin vomit. Keep your marksdwarves out of melee if possible, unless you find it amusing to arm your troops with wiffle bats.
*Pictures an army of Dwarves marching to war with wiffle bats*
Retired/Extended Sigs

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 05:09:48 pm »

Yeah I would get a full iron squad up before anything. Have them start training right away.

Later replace the iron weapons with steel ones. You don't really need steel armor so don't worry about

As my fortress grows, I like to find ways to make my food/booze production as efficient as possible, so that almost all my Dwarves are in the military. MIC for the win!

Once you have a functioning military, then start producing wealth through trade goods. You don't really need a huge amount of wealth, but it is fun to attract attention.

PS - The best weapons to start with are steel or iron spears, IMO, but you can mix it up for funsies. Silver/copper/iron warhammers are good if you can't make steel. I would avoid maces, they are the weakest weapon in all situations.

PPS - Once you are strong and mighty enough to defend yourself from sieges(They get harder and harder). Try digging deeper too. There are usually multiple cavern layers that get progressively more dangerous, then something far more sinister in the great depths...

PPPS -  Don't forget that this is a sandbox game. There are many ways to have fun if you are creative.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Megaprojects
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:31:00 pm by Art »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 05:17:45 pm »

They're the best undead fighters though.

And, I'd go with swords. Stab, slash, and side whack attacks. They can cover all three major weapons to a percent. That's why swords were such a widely used weapon, they filled many roles.
Pages: [1] 2