Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeletons  (Read 1009 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Skeletons
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:59 pm »

I may be wrong, but I thought the skeleton issue fixed at some point, right?  Currently I've got a large pile of non-sentient skeletal remains of various animals that were killed resulting in body parts and mangled skeletons.  Some of these date back to near the founding of my fortress.

I could have sworn we were able to butcher these for bones, but they've been clogging up the refuse pile next to the butcher for years.  I have a mangled llama skeleton that's been there so long that I'm thinking of naming it. 

It's not an issue to get rid of them the old fashioned way (read: magma), but if I'm doing something wrong and these can be made into useful bone, I'd appreciate any help.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
Re: Skeletons
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »

I may be wrong, but I thought the skeleton issue fixed at some point, right?  Currently I've got a large pile of non-sentient skeletal remains of various animals that were killed resulting in body parts and mangled skeletons.  Some of these date back to near the founding of my fortress.

I could have sworn we were able to butcher these for bones, but they've been clogging up the refuse pile next to the butcher for years.  I have a mangled llama skeleton that's been there so long that I'm thinking of naming it. 

It's not an issue to get rid of them the old fashioned way (read: magma), but if I'm doing something wrong and these can be made into useful bone, I'd appreciate any help.

I've had the same freakin' question! I have had several animals die due to goblin sieges, as well as forgotten animals that were hunted and never got returned to the butchery. After I release the doors, and the dorfs go out, they bring back the skeletons.

SOME are butchered into useful bones, but SOME are untouched. Mangled/perfect conditions didn't seem to matter. It seemed random.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:50:57 pm »

I've had a dog corpse and wolverine skeleton (related) near me for a while; the dorfs haven't moved them, though they may be busy
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:51:45 pm »

I think there are still some ways to die that make animal remains unbutcherable. Dying of old age maybe and getting killed by a war animal (i think), are two i know of, being killed by hostiles could be one, i don't know, tho.
If the corpses have decayed to skeletons and won't be touched even after manually issuing a butcher dead animal order, you will have to atom smash or magma dump them.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »

I'm not at all positive, but I thought that only tame/owned animals marked to be butchered or animals killed by hunters were eligible for butchering, which is kind of sad (if its true, haha..)

An animal killed by goblins or a long fall shouldn't be considered inedible! And just like a leatherworks tans leather you should be able to use a craftsdwarf shop or butcher shop to break those skeletons down into craftable bone pieces, a furnace to burn them into ash, or grind them into bonemeal at a quern or mill (planned but not implemented)..

For this current fort I had a kobold skeleton right outside the front gate that no dwarf seemed to care about hauling to a stockpile (I had separate ones for corpses and bone parts, plus one dwarf with all jobs except 'Cleaning' disabled, but neither ever worked..). After a while I noticed that dwarves entering and exiting the fort were occasionally panicking over the skeleton due to low discipline, and that's when I forbade them to move that skeleton so it'd train discipline.. I also added a bin-less stockpile of skulls right outside the entrance but, because of the kobold skeleton, I couldn't really tell if they reacted specifically to the stockpile or not..

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 08:18:26 am »

Code: [Select]
I'm not at all positive, but I thought that only tame/owned animals marked to be butchered or animals killed by hunters were eligible for butchering, which is kind of sad (if its true, haha..)
This has been partially fixed, but the skeleton issue indicates that it needs some work.

Currently it appears any animal killed by a dwarf or a wound inflicted by a dwarf is butcherable.  Traps might count too.

It seems like any creature that dies of non-dwarf causes becomes inaccessible.  It also appears that if a creature is bisected, only the part containing the root is properly butchered.  Still need to do a little more testing on that.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:40:07 am »

I've had this problem happen to me when it was the least convenient. Goblins killed a dragon and I was hoping for some dragon bone crafts. It's a mess when that happens.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.