Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Stockpile Question  (Read 1054 times)

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Stockpile Question
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:07 am »

Hey all.

I have this problem all the time when setting up a stockpile for butchers to use. No matter how many times I figure out how to do it, I always end up forgetting again. Basically I want to set up a custom stockpile that only accepts butcherable corpses for my dwarves to use, so as not to waste meat. Otherwise, in my experience, anything not a living tame animal or something dragged in by a hunter will be ignored and go to waste.

If someone could please just remind me of the correct settings so that I have a permanent written record of it to refer to next time, that'd be just great.

Cheers!
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Stockpile Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:10 am »

Refuse stockpile with corpses enabled, and all other things (Bone, Horns, etc) disabled.

In the orders menu, enable surface refuse collection.

elpreda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:49 am »

You don't need a custom stockpile for this, just a regular refuse stockpile and outside refuse gathering enabled.
Your dwarves should bring any corpses to the stockpile then butcher them, that is unless they're throwing a party, then going on break, then sleeping, then drinking, then eating, in which case your lovely cadaver will rot.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:28:15 am »

Also of note, the pile will need at least 1 free space.  If the pile is completely full the corpses will not be hauled.

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:38:45 am »

The custom stockpile is needed as otherwise it will fill up with all kinds of useless.... well, refuse. I'm literally just thinking of a pile for butcherable remains to supply the butchers shop, like a plant stockpile for a still. I'll try just enabling corpses, I'm not at home now but I have a sneaking suspicion that there's still some issue there. That seems far too easy a solution for a game of df somehow...
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:45:01 am »

You don't need a custom stockpile for this, just a regular refuse stockpile and outside refuse gathering enabled.

I'm sure this would work very well, but you do occasionally have the butcherable body-part.  Pretty rare however.  Last I recall this was when I used to fall to explode non-tame animals, resulting in more bones and leather (one piece of leather and bone from each part rather than one piece for the whole animal).  One of the reasons I did this was because at the time entire stacks of bones were being used up.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:45:30 am »

The down side is that refuse stockpiles make things rot faster (and make things rot that don't normally rot).  I personally use a dump zone near the butcher shop, but that has its own problems/caveats.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:58:41 am »

The custom stockpile is needed as otherwise it will fill up with all kinds of useless.... well, refuse. I'm literally just thinking of a pile for butcherable remains to supply the butchers shop, like a plant stockpile for a still. I'll try just enabling corpses, I'm not at home now but I have a sneaking suspicion that there's still some issue there. That seems far too easy a solution for a game of df somehow...

Be mindful that there are two kinds of corpses you can set in the stockpile.  The one you want is refuse>corpses.

The other one you probably want to set is refuse>body parts.  That way if something gets lopped off you can butcher it.