Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Warmachine: Mecha Suggestion Game  (Read 7321 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warmachine: Mecha Suggestion Game
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:21:14 pm »

Warmachine

The planet of Urth is terrestrial planet whose history is steeped in war, and endless bloodshed as nations fought war after war seeking to unite the entire world under one rule much like empire of their ancestors which was lost long ago. In this world full of endless strife the war machines called mechs were born changing the way war was waged, and leading to the collapse of dozens of nations in a brutal fit of destruction called the <Crimson War> that ended when only four powerhouses remained. Now the world has settled down into an uneasy stalemate as the world powers struggle to gain an edge over the others in the hopes of achieving their ultimate goals, be that simply peace or unification of the world. In this world where mechs are a rising power both these warmachines, and the brave men and women who pilot them are in high demand as every country rushes to expand their infrastructure and military to support expansion in this front, you are a trainee pilot who has enlisted with dreams of piloting a mech. Only time will tell if your name will go down in history as a legendary pilot or if you will simply die on the field of battle locked inside the smoking ruin of your warmachine.

But before this story can begin we must figure out just who you are.

What is your name?
For what reason did you decide to enlist as a mech pilot?
What country do you serve?
  • <Zelaban Kingdom> is a highly militaristic a proud nation with centuries of history rooted in warfare, and the noble pursuit of a united Urth under a single unified government. This country is governed by a collection of 'Dukes' who are proud warriors and generals who have proven their worth on the field of battle and rule over stretches of the <Zelaban>'s land to ensure that no single person obtains to much power. <Zelaban> prefers a straightforward and honorable approach to warfare and generally despise or refuse to use such acts as ambushes, and retreats due to their views of them being cowardly. Their method of recruitment is the required service of any able bodied men and women who do not hold essential jobs within the nation for a total of eight years. The presence of mechs is very small within their army, and those who pilot them are raised from the age of five to eighteen at the <Zelaban Armor Officer> Academy where they are put through intensive training, discipline, and learning.

• <The Oceanic Alliance> is an alliance of smaller countries most of which are island nations that are prosperous trade nations spread throughout the southern hemisphere of the planet. They are governed by a select group of representatives from each of the nations participating in the alliance who are voted into their positions by the populace of each nations. There is course a moderate presence of corruption within this system, but the alliance still manages to hold well against the other world powers. <The Oceanic Alliance> relies heavily on a superior naval force to keep them protected from the other world powers who might seek to crush them in an aim for world domination. They prefer a more defensive war, and try to avoid wars at all cost in a preference for peace and supplying other nations with war materials. The existence of mechs within their army is non-existent and as such there is no training capacity within the alliance.

• <Osthon> is an Oligarchy that lies along one of the two land based routes between <Zelaban Kingdom & Varis Theocracy>. They have remained a powerful existence largely due to the fact that their location is a fortress geographically speaking, to the south and north are vast mountain ranges with minimal canyons and paths through while to the east along the coast much of the coastline is in fact steep cliffs. Utilizing these to their advantage they sealed every land based route into the kingdom with strong fortresses and hidden complexes buried throughout the mountain range from which they could easily repel any attacker. A trade and research agreement with <the Oceanic Alliance> has secured their protection from the sea. <Osthon> prefers to uphold neutrality and refuses to involve their entire military force in a war against any nation, however <Zelaban & Varis> have come to suspect that throughout their long war <Osthon> has supplied mercenary forces to the other side. Their is a minor presence of mechs within their military though pilots are chosen from higher ranked officers and are only given a minimum of two years training when they are selected making their pilots sub-par.

• <Varis Theocracy> is a nation controlled by the Church of the White Sword, most commonly called just the Church, which was founded after Hishiko Mirazawa created the theory, and prototypes that led to the development of mechs. Everything within the country is controlled by the Church from research to the military itself, they hold unrivaled power and are led by the Archbishop who is chosen by the priests of the Church themselves. They believe that Hishiko's creations, theories, and the humanoid forms he gave the first mechs are a divine gift from God while Hishiko himself was an apostle come to help the Church unify the world and lead man into space once more. They despise the other world powers for not accepting the Church and as thus persecute them all while trying keep only one of the three other nations in a war at a time according to history. Their military contains a moderate amount of mechs already, over two hundred of them all of which are piloted by members of the Church's Holy Knights who while superior to <Osthon>'s pilots are much worse than <Zelaban Kingdom>'s.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Warmachine: Mecha Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:23:56 pm »

Name: Hektor Lokisson
Reason: Fortune, fame, money, power, dosh, the want of piloting a mech, cash... Think that covers it.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »

Name: Jackson Debil
Reason: To perform your Holy Duty to god by spreading the belief.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:44:00 pm »

Name: Corpy Deetson
Reason: He thinks it's right bloody neat to be under the water, m8.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:07:01 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:58 pm »

Reason: Fortune, fame, money, power, dosh, the want of piloting a mech, cash... Think that covers it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:06:52 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:12:00 pm »

Name: Ceaser Wilhelm III
Reason: Family tradition, every first born male of the family has served as a mech pilot
Nation: Zelaban Kingdom
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:20 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:07:24 am »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:16 am »

Pffffff, oh right. This is a suggestion game. I thought people were making fun of me for forgetting to change the name from Xanmy's suggestion which I quoted for the template. XD

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:09 am »

You are Trainee Hektor Lokisson, you signed up for the recently implemented pilots training program the Oceanic Alliance put into action out of a desire for fame, fortune, power, and just general admiration of the warmachines known as mechs. Due to the lack of any standing mech units within the Alliance's military no school for pilots has ever been founded, instead the Pilot Training Initiative sends Trainees such as yourself to corporations responsible for the development of mechs for the Alliance's use as test pilots where they intrust your training to the company itself. In compliance with the Pilot Training Initiative you were shipped out to the location of the company South Sea Mechworks, according to your briefing they are in charge of developing aquatic mechs meant to fill the role of forward scouts and fast response units along with the creation of weapons that can be effectively used under water.

Upon your arrival you're led off the boat, and into the main office building which is a seven story tower whose face is covered in glass, all in all the building reminds you of a small scale version of the corporate skyscrapers that can be found in the capital. Before you can even enter the main lobby you're lead through several metal detectors, and then get patted down by one of about a dozen security guards that can be found milling around at the entrance. Shortly after you're lead through the rather barren main lobby, and into a nearby room where you come face to face with an elderly fellow in a black suit, seeing you the man gives a faint smile and orders the guards out of the room with a flick of his hand. You take a seat as the guards leave, and are left to sit in silence for a few minutes as the old man simply sits back sipping at a cup of coffee as he looks you over.

The silence is finally broken when the man sits his cup down, and clears his throat.

"Welcome to South Sea Mechworks, or SSM as we prefer to be called, you must be Trainee Lokisson. I am the founder of this company Lat Sanders, everyone simply calls me Founder or Mr. Sanders so feel free to call me whichever you prefer, now where to begin ...

Ah yes, I'll start with what you'll be doing here. Starting tomorrow you'll be under going some basic training followed by sparring matches in some of the practice models we've prepared for your use until we manage to finish the prototype of the <Gorgon> next month, while the practice models won't be anywhere near the <Gorgon> they should get you used to piloting a mech underwater. Aside from that you'll have several hours of free time every day to do with as you wish though you cannot leave the company ground unguarded, or without scheduling the trip in advance as we have to keep our research and design work close at heart until the official test three months from now. We're just one of three companies tasked with making a mech that fits the role of the scout, if our competitors found out details of the <Gorgon> it could put us at a substantial disadvantage come the display matches, this of course would also hinder your hopes of being accepted as a full pilot until the next practice match so be wary.

But of course I'm getting ahead of myself here, most of that is a ways off so you have no need to worry about it at the time, more importantly is there anything specific you wish to know about the company, or your role here aside from that? If not we have your room prepared already, you can go ahead and retire for the day there if you wish, or perhaps I could offer a tour of the facilities to get you used to the place you'll be staying for the next little while though you can take that any time."

Spoiler: Hektor Lokisson (click to show/hide)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 01:04:08 am »

"Interesting, I see. Am I the only trainee to have been sent this to SSM? And am I expected to learn how to pilot merely from using the practice models or will there be some sort of instructor? Are you aware if the company has any mech manuals or training materials that a trainee like myself could look over? Not to mention, wouldn't it be risky handing over a experimental mech to new trainees?"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »

"Interesting, I see. Am I the only trainee to have been sent this to SSM? And am I expected to learn how to pilot merely from using the practice models or will there be some sort of instructor? Are you aware if the company has any mech manuals or training materials that a trainee like myself could look over? Not to mention, wouldn't it be risky handing over a experimental mech to new trainees?"
+1

Once our questions are answered, request the full tour.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »

+1

Once our questions are answered, request the full tour.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »

"Ah, it makes since that the army hasn't informed you of the whereabouts of other trainees since after all you are all competing against each other for selection of both yourselves as pilots, and the machines you pilot as warmachines for the Alliance. You are the only trainee dispatched to SSM, and your training has been put in our hands which is not entirely agreeable, but as you are the pilot we will have to use for the <Gorgon> in the display matches we've went ahead and secured substantial resources to help you become a fine pilot. Of course that's the main reason we're handing the <Gorgon>'s experimental model to you as the Alliance has required that pilots from their P.T.I. program to be the ones handling the machines we put in for the display matches, but I have high hopes for you if only because I suspect you want to become a pilot as badly as we want the <Gorgon> to go into production.

The practice model is a cut down bipedal model based off some previous models the Zelaban Kingdom fielded though we've modified it to utilize a propulsion system fit for under water use as well as developing a 45mm caliber assault rifle using simulation munitions. Along with that we've obtained a handful of manuals on mechs from the Zelaban Kingdom, Osthon, and even Varis though to be honest its probably best if you kept that a secret."

With a slight grin Mr. Sanders winks before bursting into laughter, so far your impressions of the man are quite good despite the slight levels of eccentricity he's displayed up to this point though he doesn't seem to be to bad a person. Standing up, and leaning on his cane Sanders nods his head in the direction of the door as he speaks,

"Now then you wanted that tour didn't you? While I can't show you the interior of our labs just yet for security reasons the rest of our facilities are free for you to use along with the pilot center we've built on site to house you during your stay here."

The tour starts off in this building which Sanders explains contains all of the offices for researchers and workers alike, the Information Analysis Department that takes up the Fifth and Sixth floors, and Sanders office which takes up the entirety of the seventh floor. All in all its a rather short tour in this area as Sanders simply shows you the first floor of the offices where you can see a dozen or so people working away at keyboards and filing papers, and the Information Analysis Department. That area turns out to be a lot more interesting as from the short glimpse you get of it the sixth floor is filled with computer banks and display screens which a dozen or so people run back and forth between, scribbling down notes and making sure that none of the gathered data is faulty or biased by the submitters. Or at least that is how Sanders explains it before heading back into the elevator and taking you out the back of the building.

The sight out here is much better as you're met by the site of a rather massive natural cove that's enclosed by thick stone walls on all sides, the enclosed area expands inland at least a mile and marks off the land owned by SSM. According to Sanders the only way into this area where is through the building you just came, or the gates that allow access to the ocean from the small dock complex that stretches around it. Patting you on the shoulder Sanders leads you towards the dock area as he talks,

"Of the buildings here the three arrayed in-front of the office building are for your personal use, the first is your private quarters which has all the necessities one would need, the second building is a recreational room containing workout equipment and a lightly stocked library, and the third building contains the practice model you'll be using. Fill free to frequent that area as you wish, currently the maintenance and analysis team have yet to be reassigned, but they'll be working in that building starting tomorrow to assist you in training and such.

As for the dock, and building over there I am afraid that is off-limits, that area is the Laboratory and onsite manufacturing center for SSM so you won't be able to visit it until the <Gorgon> has been completed though it should be accessible eventually. Hmmm, well I think that's all for the tour so unless you need anything else I'll be off, feel free to use the facilities we've given to you at your own discretion."

Spoiler: Hektor Lokisson (click to show/hide)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 10:54:51 pm »

Check out the training model for a bit then head into the recreation center for a bit of R&R
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6