Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Over 5 million Gmail accounts compromised  (Read 6111 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Over 5 million Gmail accounts compromised
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 02:41:50 pm »

Yes. At that point the password would be easier to crack by character basis, since you can put literally anything between the words - special characters, random letters. And since there are a lot more words than characters... Another way to obfuscate it is to purposely misspell some words "batttery-staple correct: hrsE" or use words from different languages. "battery;staple1correct!hevonen", "Hevonen" being horse in finnish for example. Or stick the special character in middle of words: "bat#tery staple c€rrect hors.e". The possibilities are endless.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:45:36 pm by anzki4 »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 02:55:38 pm »

Here's a password thing that I found on xkcd.
It shows you the entropy and apparent time to crack of various passwords.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:51 pm »

I should really start using the long-password method.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 03:04:14 pm »

Hah! Suckers. 3 gmail accounts, one requires that 2-step verification process, which in turn requires you to have my SIM card, and the other 2, well...
Sometimes I forget those exist. So yeah, they're connected to nothing ever, literally. I'm fairly sure I have never even used those on YouTube.
Although that begs a question to be asked of past-me. Namely, what in the hell were you thinking when making those additional passwords?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

Don't forget the power of a space. One at the beginning, and one at the end, minimum-each; and maybe between syllables. It'll give the password device a hard time. Upped an 8-hour crack to 5 years. Upped a password from rank 2 to rank 4 in a jiffy.

EDIT:
Well, that was unexpected.

'  p a ss  w o  r   d   ' takes centuries to crack, and scored a 4.
'  P a ss  w 0  r   d   ' even moreso, by a few more digits, seconds-wise.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:17:14 pm by Itnetlolor »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »

Crap, I don't even have all my passwords changed over from the last time there was a huge leak of passwords.

Here's a password thing that I found on xkcd.
It shows you the entropy and apparent time to crack of various passwords.

If this is accurate, my passwords are super secure! I mix up two words, two numbers, and a letter.

That reassures me that I don't need a lame 30 digit password that uses like 4-5 words.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 04:41:27 pm »

My method of making good passwords is rather complex - I have a Russian QWERTY keyboard (like this one). I switch via Alt-Shift from Russian to English and type a Russian phrase - the end result is meaningless gibberish like 'nj gfhjkm? `tgnf/

According to that password strength checker from BlitzDungeoneer's post, cracking a password "ghbvth gfhjkz" (пример пароля) would take approximately 2 million years.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 11:33:58 pm »

Among the passwords I use:
One would take 12 months to decode.
Another, 92 years.
And then another would take centuries.
And another 3 years.
So yeah, I feel pretty secure.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 11:43:29 pm »

My less secure password takes 7 days, while my more secure password takes 5. Huh.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 11:55:37 pm »

No, of course not. He is simply watching...waiting...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4