Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food and Drink Stocks  (Read 618 times)

yasic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food and Drink Stocks
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:11:01 pm »

Just curious: How many dwarves do you have and how much food/drink do you tend to stockpile? I myself am running around 220 dwarves and I try to maintain at least 5000 of each (though I have like 10,000 food for no good reason).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Food and Drink Stocks
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:43 pm »

Depends entirely on the setup, namely how far apart my dwarves are.  Sometimes I have smiths permanently living above the magma sea, and they get booze delivered, so I'll have more booze, as it needs to be delivered.  I normally use DFHack and use auto-jobs to keep stocks ~200 at all times.  Food is handled by primarily raw produce, though I cook for far-away dwarves as I don't want to have to haul seeds.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:25 pm »

I tend to cap my population at 100 with a hard cap of 140.

My food stocks usually aren't a problem, so I don't pay it much thought.  I use DFHack to make sure my eggs, meat, and plentiful produce are expeditiously turned into prepared meals and alcohol.  Usually once things get going I won't ever dip below 1000 of both prepared food and booze. With that much stocked up, the fortress can survive about a year before things would get tight.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:39:13 am »

Playing a 200 Urist fort, I've got 20000 Urists of food and 10000 Urists of drink.

Overkill, you say? No way, says I. MOAR!

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:19:50 pm »

I long for the day when I can finally make a pool of booze for my dwarves to swim/bathe in.

"Urist McClean had a wonderful, soapy, boozy bath lately."
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!