Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014  (Read 33003 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014
« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:30 pm »

How long until the next referendum?
Maybe 10-15 years, on the very outside.  We'll keep getting referendums until Yes wins, at which point it'll never go back.

So, in case No wins, how many months do you predict the backdown on promises from english ministers will take? I predict 3 months.
Depends.  With Cameron and the Conservatives?  I think you're being optimistic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:38 pm »

This is clearly a failure of democracy. Prepare your civilians for the drones, Britain.
No no no.All the politicians are saying that this referendum has been a victory for democracy, and it has been.Unfortunately, for every winner there has to be a loser, and the loser this time, from an admittedly biased view, is Scotland.
Don't worry, the US is ready and willing to intervene.
I would also like to endorse an peacekeeping effort in Scotland.
I hear that there's a lot of oil in that thar North Sea- I mean, we really need to introduce democracy to Scotland.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:44 pm »

So, in case No wins, how many months do you predict the backdown on promises from english ministers will take? I predict 3 months.
They won't back down brazenly. They'll just let it die in committee and then shrug and say "Democracy....whaddya gonna do?"

I think Scotland won tonight for three reasons:

1. It got Scots engaged in the political process in record ways. That in itself is a huge thing.
2. If the promises are kept, it extracted a new raft of devolution powers from Parliament.
3. If those promises are broken, it sets the stage for a really pissed-off electorate to do this again in a few years. With experience from having done this once already, and a raft of organizers and volunteers who were energized this time around.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:56 pm »

How long until the next referendum?
Well speaking as a student of politics, losing such a vote does take away a little bit of your thunder, as it were. You lose the popular mandate you claimed to push your cause, and recovering from that can be hard.

For reference, it took 15 years to hold a second Quebec referendum, and in the 19 years since then the nationalistic fervor has lost the majority of its impetus.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »

The real crushing blow for YES here is listening to Cameron's speech after.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »

But the NO can just point at the 55% No vote...
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:08 pm »

Yep, I actually pointed that out to one of my RL friends when we first started discussing this. Chances were good that no would win, and what Yes really needed was to pull it close enough to try to get a second referendum.
It's definitely looking like they're going to get that, at least. With the voter turn out being what it is, it's kinda' looking like they're going to have a higher percentage of their total population voting yes than the US usually has elect presidents.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:27 pm »

This is clearly a failure of democracy. Prepare your civilians for the drones, Britain.

No no no.

All the politicians are saying that this referendum has been a victory for democracy, and it has been.

Unfortunately, for every winner there has to be a loser, and the loser this time, from an admittedly biased view, is Scotland.

No, victory is America withdrawing troops from Scotland in 2022 after a long occupation, leaving the shaky independent government to be overrun by religious extremists within a few years so we can go back in.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:53 pm »

From what I've seen, campaigning on both sides was utter shite until the very last minute.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:09 pm »

The real crushing blow for YES here is listening to Cameron's speech after.
I bet it'll consist of the word "useless" repeat many times. D:
._.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »

No no no.

All the politicians are saying that this referendum has been a victory for democracy, and it has been.

Unfortunately, for every winner there has to be a loser, and the loser this time, from an admittedly biased view, is Scotland.

No, victory is America withdrawing troops from Scotland in 2022 after a long occupation, leaving the shaky independent government to be overrun by religious extremists within a few years so we can go back in.

Protestant or Catholic?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:24 pm »

No no no.

Protestant or Catholic?
Viking.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:57 pm »

No no no.

Protestant or Catholic?

We have that now anyways, just in the form of football/soccer fans in Glasgow.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2014, 11:06:20 pm »

South Ayrshire:
Yes-34402
No-47246
No-58%

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2014, 11:07:08 pm »

i am willing to bet that no will win with a great margin, and David Cameron will give a speech so bad that all of Scotland rises up in armed rebellion.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38