Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38

Author Topic: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014  (Read 32832 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »

If Yes pulls through, I wonder how many of the islands would want to break off and form their own little countries? Shetland and the Orkneys seem pretty keen on it.

I think that with independence we should give Shetland, Orkney and places like the Western Isles similar levels of autonomy to that which Scotland enjoys now. Decentralisation is a great thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »

suddenly feudal decentralization-tier scotland
In the end, the spiral of secessionist feelings brought on by Scotland never truly stopped. Much as the great powers of the world tried to stop it, the Yes vote marked the beginning of the end for the industrial nation-state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »

You bastards you blew it up!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2014, 01:23:59 pm »

And then Scotland was 4.2 million microstates, each with a population of one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »

But what if Willie's liver wants independence from his brain?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2014, 01:29:43 pm »

But what if Willie's liver wants independence from his brain?
Fractal secessionism.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »

I've already bought my ballistic helmet, balaclava and fatigues at my local newsagent so I'm ready to join my comrades in raids on police stations in Dundee if the vote doesn't go our way. We'll form the People's Republic of Dundee and seek annexation by Norway.

We'd send some soldiers, but all five of them just got sent on vacation to Iraq to defeat ISIL.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »

Having to pass through 6000 border stops and import/export taxes made going to your local grocery store international food distribution centre co-op an absolute pain both in the arse and the pokkit.

But worst of all was the now torn apart warzones and disputed lands once known as "shared households". Brother turning against brother for control of the pantry, strategic maternal bombing of the entertainment centres, teenage girls turning their stockpiles of beauty products into chemical weapons and flamethrowers... It was a horror unlike any the world had ever seen.
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:17 pm »

"Hey Duncan! What the price of this potato?"
"Where you are right now, it's 12 Pictbux, but over here by the register is 1.5 haggis. Don't forget the tariff of 7 Tocks as you pass border crossing in the meat aisle"
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2014, 01:55:51 pm »

I second whoever suggested BitCoins for Scotland.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2014, 02:08:32 pm »

It seems like this vote only happened because people assumed it would fail. I'm not sure if there'll be another chance that soon.
Well, I wouldn't bet on a date for a new vote or anything, but I think if the vote fails, this movement won't just go away anytime soon. With London on a anti-EU course, the divide won't get smaller. If the UK decides to leave the EU, there might be a new vote rather sooner than later. Pretty sure anyway, if the Yes campaign loses with like 48,49%, they're not gonna say "ok, that's it, let's forever forget about this independence talk."

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2014, 02:10:46 pm »

Quote from: GreatJustice

Alternatively, they could simply not declare anything legal tender and let Scots use whatever they wanted as currency, which would work just fine too with the benefit of preventing the Scottish economy from being hammered as hard by foreign currency devaluation. The only problem would be collecting taxes, which could be solved pretty easily if needed.
I'm going to assume that was just poorly worded, because it sounds like you're suggesting no single national currency. Which would be nutburgers.

It's been done a few times before, in the US and (funny enough) Scotland. The key point is that Scottish people and businesses would ultimately end up using only a few viable currencies anyway, so the net result wouldn't be too much different for your average Jack in Glasgow than if the Pound was the official currency. Again, ignoring the event in which the government wished to engage in currency devaluation.

Also, I repeat my pessimistic prediction: No wins, probably in a 55%-45% vote or something similar. We'll know the results tonight.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2014, 02:15:57 pm »

Some Russian news websites are already claiming that No has won with 53% of the votes, however they have mistakenly presented the results of Ipsos MORI's pre-referendum poll as results from (non-existent) exit-polls.

I've already bought my ballistic helmet, balaclava and fatigues at my local newsagent so I'm ready to join my comrades in raids on police stations in Dundee if the vote doesn't go our way. We'll form the People's Republic of Dundee and seek annexation by Norway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2014, 02:18:36 pm »

Ptw with my giant Scottish flag.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:57 pm »

I'm going to call it now, Yes wins with a small majority (maybe 55%). No calls for a recount, then BAM, George W. Bush declared king of the UK.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38