Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38

Author Topic: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014  (Read 33010 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 10:38:09 pm »

George Osbourne has threatened that monetary union may not be possible if the Scots leave. Anonymous responds.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:51:16 pm »

Posting to watch the kiltocracy form

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 11:07:31 pm »

George Osbourne has threatened that monetary union may not be possible if the Scots leave. Anonymous responds.

Does anyone want a can of "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong?" Supplies are limited!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:46 pm »

Guido Fawkes is actually a political blogger, not part of anonymous (his name actually predates the V for Vendetta movie).

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 11:20:45 pm »

I support Scottish independence despite not being Scottish because fuck England.

Seriously though, I don't think either choice is significantly better than the other.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »

That's not a threat, that's pointing out basic economic truths that are absolutely essential to this debate.  Scotland staying on the pound would be unambiguously a bad idea.

This debate is downright scary.  Because everyone underestimated the independence crowd the technocrats never bothered to chime in with advice about what they saw as unlikely independence.  Now we've got a situation where the independence crowd is saying things that are horribly, horribly misguided like it would be a good idea for Scotland to stay on the pound.  They should know better on the eve of the vote.  I just can't find the words to explain how scary it is to think that people might be running a country when they can't get the easy but super important parts right.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:25 am »

Guido Fawkes is actually a political blogger, not part of anonymous (his name actually predates the V for Vendetta movie).
So, um, Guy/Guido Fawkes was a real guy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:02 am »

I assume Guido Fawkes is a pun on Guy Fawkes, and as such when someone is referring to Guido Fawkes they probably aren't referring to Guy Fawkes.
E: Also, good luck on the vote.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:13 am »

I don't understand why we had to fight a bloody, drawn out war over this, and yet Scotland gets to just take a vote and go have a lemonade...? Isn't it generally not OK to just go and secede?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 12:34:38 am »

I don't understand why we had to fight a bloody, drawn out war over this, and yet Scotland gets to just take a vote and go have a lemonade...? Isn't it generally not OK to just go and secede?

Look at the circumstances/terms under which the UK was founded.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 12:39:11 am »

So, um, Guy/Guido Fawkes was a real guy.
Yes but the "anonymous as Guy Fawkes" thing stems purely from the movie.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 12:43:12 am »

As a fellow Scot, I haven't the faintest idea which way to vote - the somewhat romantic notions of "we should make our own choices/fuckups!" and "Freedom!!!" don't particularly hold sway with me, and it doesn't seem even the experts that have spent their entire adult lives studying economics etc can agree on whether my life will be more or less comfortable under either scenario.  My suspicion is little will change either way (at least, no more than it usually does).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaQpyU_QiM

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:51 am »

If Scotland secedes, then I hope they get into the EU, otherwise they're going to have to set up a border with expensive checkpoints and security. And unfortunately, Spain will probably be dead-set against an independent Scotland in the EU because they're trying to prevent the Basque from seceding.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:00:40 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:41 am »

My general support for secessionism and decentralization in general makes me hope Yes wins, but I simply can't see No not pulling off a Quebec and winning in the end. Still, I hope I'm wrong.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 01:26:51 am »

As an American descended from British stock, I wish Scotland the best of luck in their vote for independence. I've heard that the voting turnout might approach 100%.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38