Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014  (Read 32972 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »

People of Bay 12, my friends, some of you may or may not recognise me from various political discussion threads; often arguing the case for Scottish independence. I was originally going to make any last pronouncements in Sheb's excellent European Politics Megathread but I understand that the magnitude of what is going to happen over the next 48 hours is simply too great to be confined there.

On Thursday, September 18th we Scots will go to the polls to decide whether Scotland should become an independent country once again. The votes will be counted over the night, without exit polls; the results will be known by mid-day GMT on Friday. I'm sure virtually all of you know this, given that most of you seem to have opinions on the matter regardless of whether the vote will directly affect you.

Unfortunately I do not think there are many Scots on the lower boards; there can't be more than a handful based on what I've seen. If there's any still here, reading this thread that haven't made their minds up, while there is still time I implore you to vote Yes to give us all the opportunity to finally build the society we want. I hope and firmly believe that society will be a fairer, more equal one, but this will be our choice, for we shall hold sovereignty. Indeed, between the hours of 7am and 10pm on Thursday, absolute sovereign power will lie in the hands of the Scottish people for the first time in history. We have to decide whether to keep it, or give it away again.

While there are risks and questions that remain unanswered, for the most part these have been reduced to those that simply cannot be answered. You may want to know very complex macro-economic policy 20 years in advance but think on this - Margaret Curran, Labour Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland, cannot tell us what the minimum wage will be in this country in 5 years. Whichever way the vote goes uncertainty will remain with us; uncertainty is about the only thing that is certain this life. However you make your decision, please do not make it out of fear; whichever path you take ensure you have a positive vision for the future, whether that's with the UK or in an independent Scotland. Have hope so that we may rise through this iron sky that's fast becoming our minds.

I will leave this thread up over the next few days for people to express their views on the topic, any last words and so on. I do not think I will post again until Thursday. Depending on the outcome of the vote, I may close the thread by the weekend and allow further discussion to carry on in Sheb's European thread.

As my last act on Bay 12 prior to the referendum I will leave you with this adaptation of the Great Dictator speech, as performed by the Scottish actor David Hayman.

Let us fight for a country of reason where our talents and hard work can lead us all to happiness.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:25:02 pm by Owlbread »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:07:54 pm »

We in Australia didn't quite manage to get full independence, but I wish your nation the best in achieving it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:09:58 pm »

I wish for it, if only to harass my British friends about it.  One or two are quite worked up, and even insulted me recently over my jesting.

But I have no other stake in it.  I do wonder if an independent Scotland doesn't lend credence to an independent Ireland. though.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25:23 pm »

Can't think of terribly much to say, but good luck t'scotland, regardless of how the referendum falls. Just hope a close vote, either way, doesn't cause too much in the way of violent unrest.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »

This is pretty happening. I'm only a dumb Canadian, but this should be entertaining.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:24:48 pm »

I don't have a personal stake in it, but I've been pulling on the side of independence for a number of reasons.

And no, none of them are "Raw Raw Fight da Empire, even if you're a couple centuries late!"  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:39:27 pm »

As a distant descendant of the Scottish diaspora, and a descendant of the Confederacy, I wish Scotland the best of luck either way (but hopefully the Yes way).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:57:58 pm »

As someone who believes that, for humanity to progress it's level of civilization, we need to abolish all nations and start thinking 'fellow earthlings', I hope it fails. We don't need more nations / nationalism, we need less.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »

As someone who doesn't really give a sod, I don't really give a sod. I would hope that no-one gets violent about it, though, because that will never end well.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:09:25 pm »

Real quick: we'd need something to glue us together besides the far off advancement of society if we waney to abolish nations.

I'm actually kind of worried for my friends in Scotland right now, because, although I'm sure the Scots have planned for this, there's all sorts of unforeseen problems that may come up.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

As an American who knows relatively little about this, I'm all for it. Go freedom!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 10:25:43 pm »

Good luck, Owlbread.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 10:27:47 pm »

As a calm and reasoned supporter of the union I'd like to point out that Scotland will definitely be in the hands of ISIS by the end of the year if they vote Yes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:30:18 pm »

I don't know enough about the situation to hope it goes one way or another, but I do hope the concept works out for everybody. Settling independence issues through a vote is quite preferable to the usual alternatives.

As someone who believes that, for humanity to progress it's level of civilization, we need to abolish all nations and start thinking 'fellow earthlings', I hope it fails. We don't need more nations / nationalism, we need less.
This sounds like confusing the symptoms and the cause, though. If some people don't want to be Whatsits anymore, I don't think you're going to encourage them to be Evenmorewhatsits just by glomming them together with even more people. You've got to make them want to be Evenmorewhatsits, and then they should want to glom themselves.

As a calm and reasoned supporter of the union I'd like to point out that Scotland will definitely be in the hands of ISIS by the end of the year if they vote Yes.
...what's ISIS's (ISIS'?) stance on unicorns?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38