Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014  (Read 32970 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 01:51:13 am »

it better not approach 120%

ptw

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 01:55:03 am »

As an English Brit, I'm kind of hoping the vote is No. I believe the chances of this working out better than the current situation for Scotland are minimal as far as I can foresee, and I can pretty much guarantee it'll end up worse on the UK.

Plus I quite like Scotland :/
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:06 am »

As a... irrelevantly Finnish poster, I hope for the best, which is, of course, a new member of the Glorious People's Nordic Union. I've been thinking of university in Scotland (mainly for the... free-ness), so I quite wonder if I'd be going to just Scotland instead of British Scotland in a year.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 02:58:07 am »

As a Swede with relatives in Barcelona, I hope the outcome is Yes so that'll booster their independence movement and give them the sovereignity they want.

As a person, I hope the result is whatever will turn out to be the best for Scotland in the end. And if you vote Yes, I welcome you to our little league of peripheral nordic countries ;)

If Scotland secedes, then I hope they get into the EU, otherwise they're going to have to set up a border with expensive checkpoints and security. And unfortunately, Spain will probably be dead-set against an independent Scotland in the EU because they're trying to prevent the Basque from seceding.

Catalan. It's mainly the Catalan they want to stop from seceding, as they are the ones with the best prospects of doing so right now.

As a... irrelevantly Finnish poster, I hope for the best, which is, of course, a new member of the Glorious People's Nordic Union. I've been thinking of university in Scotland (mainly for the... free-ness), so I quite wonder if I'd be going to just Scotland instead of British Scotland in a year.

But we have free university! Dammit, Finland, why are we never good enough for you! Why do you hurt us so!
Love, scriver~

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 04:31:09 am »

I almost hope for a yes vote so stuff can fall into a heap.

Or maybe it'll work out fine.
Magma is overrated.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 04:37:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I also hope they vote yes, since it might mean a new member to the Glorious Nordic Union. :P
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 05:20:53 am »

As someone who believes that, for humanity to progress it's level of civilization, we need to abolish all nations and start thinking 'fellow earthlings', I hope it fails. We don't need more nations / nationalism, we need less.

I've got my elves and gnomes working at full capacity producing rainbows and fairy dust to help bring this about.

In other news raw raw fuck da empire
Shoes...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:13 am »

cfoofoo keep to your own damn canon you're not allowed fairies

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 05:57:30 am »

Less than 24 hours until the polls open. :)

I'm voting Yes also.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 06:12:46 am »

I don't understand why we had to fight a bloody, drawn out war over this, and yet Scotland gets to just take a vote and go have a lemonade...? Isn't it generally not OK to just go and secede?
So Scotland has to go to war and suffer lots of losses at both sides, souring relationships and building gridges before they "deserve" to secede?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 06:29:31 am »

I don't understand why we had to fight a bloody, drawn out war over this, and yet Scotland gets to just take a vote and go have a lemonade...? Isn't it generally not OK to just go and secede?

Different circumstances. When the King of Scotland inherited the throne of England, he moved South and ruled both Kingdoms from there until the Acts of Union were passed by both Parliaments of England and Scotland which then united to become the Parliament of Great Britain. It was a voluntary union of both countries.

The Revolutionary War was a rebellion of British subjects over tax and lack of political representation. Kinda apples and oranges.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 07:28:45 am »

So? That's the wonderful thing about referenda. You made a choice, it turned out badly. Suck it up and start working long-term if you want to get the economy back into gear.

(NB: I think self-determination is as good a right as any other. That does not mean independence should have to come without economic consequences. The South-East has been paying a lot of Scotland's bills for the past decades, and independence means letting go of that.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:31:30 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 08:20:44 am »

This debate is downright scary.  Because everyone underestimated the independence crowd the technocrats never bothered to chime in with advice about what they saw as unlikely independence.  Now we've got a situation where the independence crowd is saying things that are horribly, horribly misguided like it would be a good idea for Scotland to stay on the pound.  They should know better on the eve of the vote.  I just can't find the words to explain how scary it is to think that people might be running a country when they can't get the easy but super important parts right.

This is what representative democracy is for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 08:26:56 am »

How come there is a Canada butterfly in the yes poster on the OP? They aren't Europe, or is that meant to represent the diaspora?

If it's the diaspora, surprised the US isn't on there, plenty of Scottish people and descendants here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:38:06 am by smjjames »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 08:40:06 am »

How come there is a Canada butterfly in the yes poster on the OP? They aren't Europe, or is that meant to represent the diaspora?

If it's the diaspora, surprised the US isn't on there, plenty of Scottish people and descendants here.
Perhaps it's intended to represent the Scottish butterfly breaking away from the pack? After all, the spoiler text does translate as "Ta ta for now."
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38