Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014  (Read 32909 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Decides, 18th September, 2014
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »

I think a 55% majority is a lot higher than many Yes supporters are hoping for.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2014, 02:23:48 pm »

I was just picking random numbers in a vain attempt to be humourous.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2014, 02:25:24 pm »

I think Yes wins, 51-49.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »

I'm kinda hoping for 96.77% NO.

I'd love to see how the Scots would react to that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »

I'm kinda hoping for 96.77% NO.

I'd love to see how the Scots would react to that.
Somebody would set a sheep on fire. Actually, that may happen regardless.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:12 pm »

Silly RK, this is scotland, not new zealand. If anyone's going to immolate someone's loved one, it's going to be a brit set on fire, not their sheep.

... actually, it would be rather nice if no one and nothing animate got set on fire. Also no corpses. Maybe some flags, a bonfire or two, stuff like that. No people, pets, or once-living remains thereof. Or at least go burn down the english parliament or whathaveyou.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:56 pm »

No will very likely win with a small lead (from fractions of a percent to two or three percent).
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2014, 02:49:38 pm »

IpsosMORI said on RTE radio today that because the turnout has reached such high levels (possibly well over 80%, I know that in the district of Cromarty turnout was 96%) previous polling is no longer valid. Their exact words were allegedly "If turnout hits 80% opinion polls are no longer accurate - all bets are off". No wonder - until now we've been trying to predict what 4 and a half million people are going to vote for in the ballot box based on the testimony of online panels and telephone surveys of around 1000 people. That works well enough for our recent elections (such as the European Elections) where turnout was something like 29.5% and 30-35% in various areas, but not for 80% for god's sake. This is unprecedented.

So those polls showing a narrow No lead, the kind you are quoting, Guardian? All out of the window, the result could be anything.

Nobody has any idea what is happening anymore - this is genuine chaos. Everyone is going crazy. Nobody is in the driving seat, it's absolutely amazing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:54:12 pm by Owlbread »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2014, 02:54:23 pm »

I think it'll be a perfect draw, which will be broken by a mud-wrestling match between Gordon Brown and Alex Salmond.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2014, 03:04:27 pm »

From what I've read, polling booths are going to be open for another hour, until 23:00. So there aren't going to be results before tomorrow morning. It's going to be a loooong night for Owlbread.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2014, 03:10:48 pm »

Owlbread, I cannot say how much I'm touched by your change of avatar. I sincerely hoping I'll wake uptomorrow to hear good news on the radio.

Saor Alba!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

canada is basically europe

In fact, the independence situation in Scotland closely resembles the two referendums on Quebec's independence that we had, with similar ramifications for independence on both sides. It's even the same question "Do you believe Quebec should be sovereign". I feel like this may go the way of the Quebec vote from '95, and have it be a no, but insanely close (50.6% to 49.4% [a difference of around 50,000 votes, which is crazy considering 80,000 votes were invalid or blank]) with unprecedented levels of voter turnout (93.52% in Quebec, with 5,087,009 voting). And then years of both parties accusing the other of slanting the vote in some way. I would rather see an independent Scotland than not, and I know most of my extended Scottish family members (Turnbull and MacInnes) feel the same way.

Either way it goes, it's going to be super close. Cheers to the Scots on this auspicious occasion.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2014, 03:28:12 pm »

Either way it's nice to see high turnout votes.  I think people would be a lot more satisfied with democracy, no matter what the form, if we had more high turnout elections.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2014, 03:32:35 pm »

As a citizen of a part of Italy wich would benefit from a less centralized government (not full-blown independence, but a strong shift toward some form of federalism), I support an independent Scotland.

Wishing you the best of luck in any case.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2014, 03:37:05 pm »

Owlbread, I cannot say how much I'm touched by your change of avatar. I sincerely hoping I'll wake uptomorrow to hear good news on the radio.

Saor Alba!

I thought it was the best time to do it, having cast my vote while thinking of all the support from people like yourself and others in this thread and elsewhere on the forums. The messages of support really do mean a lot, thank you everyone. The avatar was still saved in my "My Pictures" folder as "Best Avatar".
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38