Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will Dwarf Fortress need a new name?  (Read 1509 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will Dwarf Fortress need a new name?
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:41:00 pm »

The name works for now, but once the game nears completion, Fortress and Adventurer will basically be integrated together.  Considering all that this game will have to offer, The Dwarf Fortress will only be one piece of the puzzle.

The whole name is rather long.  Try saying Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress five times fast!

Should the name eventually be changed?

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

Re: Will Dwarf Fortress need a new name?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:54:00 am »

STAGOB 2: Dwarf Fortress. Acronyms solve everything.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:39:00 am »

This is a good point... another thing I've wondered about is whether or not "Armok: God of Blood" is somehow made obsolete by the world gen feature.  Aren't new pantheons going to be created for all worlds?

Or is Armok such a badass that he rules over the entire multi-verse?

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:15:00 am »

I vote we rename the game "those damn elephants *AGAIN*!!!"

Pod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:15:00 am »

Oh yeah, it's not just called Dwarf Fortress, is it? I always refer to it as such. All that other stuff is just extra gubbins.

Does any of it even apply any more?

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:33:00 pm »

There is a possibility of all the Human town, Elven fortress, bad ass monster controlling etc coming into the game eventually too - (check the development pages) - Dwarf Fortress as a name doesn't really suggest anything involving that, so maybe a name change is eventually going to be necessary. Or at least tacking more onto the name.

Actually, I just had a thought. Could Toadys thought be that the player is actually supposed to be Armok? If everyone in the world is supposed to be his slaves... He could technically control anyone.

eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Misterstone:
<STRONG>This is a good point... another thing I've wondered about is whether or not "Armok: God of Blood" is somehow made obsolete by the world gen feature.  Aren't new pantheons going to be created for all worlds?

Or is Armok such a badass that he rules over the entire multi-verse?</STRONG>

That's pretty much how it would have worked in the original Slaves to Armok. (Armok would have been a constant in all random worlds and able to destroy and reform the universe whenever he felt like it)

[ November 14, 2006: Message edited by: eternal ]

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:40:00 pm »

If the dwarves were my slaves, I wouldn't be constantly yelling at my screen, "NO!  Away from the skeletal groundhogs!  Back!"  

As for the name, you really just need something evocative.  Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Various Modded Races Adventuring and Fortressing Within a Persistent Randomly Generated World Full of Nifty Things While Being Roundly Beaten by Elephants sounds like a dissertation, not a game.  You didn't cut nets in NetHack.  Dwarf Fortress is the root of the game and has a nice grim sound that signals the oncoming doom of your @ signs.  

Then again, if it gets changed, I don't care.  It's all good.

eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>If the dwarves were my slaves, I wouldn't be constantly yelling at my screen, "NO!  Away from the skeletal groundhogs!  Back!"</STRONG>

I get the feeling Armok would be saying "Yes, go to the skeletal groundhogs and fight them!"

quote:
<STRONG>As for the name, you really just need something evocative.  Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Various Modded Races Adventuring and Fortressing Within a Persistent Randomly Generated World Full of Nifty Things While Being Roundly Beaten by Elephants sounds like a dissertation, not a game.  You didn't cut nets in NetHack.  Dwarf Fortress is the root of the game and has a nice grim sound that signals the oncoming doom of your @ signs.  

Then again, if it gets changed, I don't care.  It's all good.</STRONG>

I agree.

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 09:46:00 pm »

Two comments:

I know from my corporate job that renaming (aka "rebranding") products creates confusion.  If we were to go to Fry's and see a game called "Snakes in a Cave!" (or whatever) our love of "Dwarf Fortress" would give us no reason to even pick up the box and read the back.  

I've stopped calling it even "Dwarf Fortress" anymore.  Now I just tell people "I'm going to play with my dwarves!" and they know exactly what I'm talking about.  :-)

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

jorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 11:10:00 am »

Dwarf Fortress is snappy and gives you some idea what it is about.

The "slaves to armok: god of blood" bit I would drop to be honest. Is meaningless and chapter 2 just puts people off if they haven't seen 1.
Complicated long titles generally suck.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 02:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jorum:
<STRONG>Dwarf Fortress is snappy and gives you some idea what it is about.

The "slaves to armok: god of blood" bit I would drop to be honest. Is meaningless and chapter 2 just puts people off if they haven't seen 1.
Complicated long titles generally suck.</STRONG>

Oh, I don't know.  I tend to feel the opposite way.  I think that it should be retitled:

quote:
Stephen Colbert Presents
Stephen Colbert's Slaves to Armok: God of Blood
Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress
A Tek Jansen Adventure

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »

I agree with the chapter 2 issue, not having played the first almost put me off trying this game. Especially with the first being unfinished - kinda left me thinking that this one won't either (until I saw it had been going for over 4 years!)