Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How will the turn order go after the last one is done?

Loop turn order
- 2 (50%)
Roll for it
- 1 (25%)
Make suggestion (post)
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: November 17, 2014, 07:13:19 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Carnagecrafts: Story of the Nameless Nomads  (Read 16821 times)

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Carnagecrafts: Story of the Nameless Nomads
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2014, 04:34:23 am »

It SHOULD be fixed now, thanks for telling me.  Yep, mass production of beds does that to a man.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2014, 10:51:49 am »

Things started out fairly well.  We finished digging the channel for the magma pit.  We have twenty new immigrants.  Looks like our drink and food situation is a bit low, once the broker gets motivated enough to get off his butt, i'm going to trade for all those crafts for food and drink and anything else useful the traders brought. 

Tsiru Brisby went into a fey mood and has claimed a masons workshop and created a fine gold throne
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the breach in the volcano is complete, now just waiting for the magma to flow to the holding area. 
The cobalite switch closes the breach, while the microline switch opens the drain.

I have the forges in place, still waiting for the heat to get to them.   all the furnaces are now in place.   next task will be to attempt to build a well in the future hospital

Summer has arrived and it appears that our great bonecarver Tonnot has fallen to his death while assisting in building the well.  He was promptly buried in the new catacombs
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:25:52 am by Boes »
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2014, 11:04:01 am »

Looking pretty good so far. I especially like what you did for the stockpiles, looks really nice.
I would like a bit more detail, though, as there seems to be a few gaps in the forts development between my entries and yours.  Also, "Releasedbeasts the Insightful Temple." Quite the name, seems as though Brisby is very proud to be a part of the founders of Carnagecrafts.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2014, 11:30:04 am »

not really to much in the way of gaps.   just smoothed the lava channel since we won't have access to it after it's full with out draining, and dug out workshop stockpiles,  i'm currently working on building the hospital

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2014, 11:33:36 am »

As i just caused a tantrum spiral due to mining accidents... as in 5 of the original 7 are currently dead.  I'm going to roll back to the start and see if i can do this a bit better.     I did roll it back to the start and redid pretty much everything i did before.   I have the magma forges 3/6 built,  still need 3 anvils to finish those.   the magma furnaces are all built and functional.

hospital is started, and the well is dug correctly this time.   I am only about 1/2 way through my year.   I just got called from work and i'll have to pass this on to the next player.  i'll be out of town for the next 3-4 days.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9810
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:20:53 pm by Boes »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2014, 03:50:42 pm »

Hey folks,
I got the file. Won't be starting anything today (as it's coming up to 10pm here). Just like to check a few things.

1. I've got up to one real-life week for one game year, right?
2. There are currently 31 dwarves. I'm not great with large numbers of dwarves, so I'll be setting

[POPULATION_CAP:40]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:50]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:10:30]

in the d_init.txt file if that's OK.
()==[:::::::::::::>

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2014, 04:23:40 pm »

Should be fine, yes.  However, you MIGHT want to set the cap just a bit higher for a better migrant wave or two.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2014, 04:28:28 pm »

However, you MIGHT want to set the cap just a bit higher for a better migrant wave or two.
The next guy can set it to whatever they want. :P

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2014, 03:51:29 am »

So, I haven't actually unpaused the game yet but here's the first update anyway. :P

Diary of 'Nob Totmon' (Two Flower), 14th Hematite

I wake up, in my tiny tiny room, at the sound of someone knocking on my door. Nobody is outside when I check, but a piece of paper has been left under a small rock outside.

"You're up now." it says.

'Er, what?' I think, before noticing the small 'P.T.O.' on the bottom of the sheet. I turn it over.

"Nob Totmon, you are now the semi-secret overseer of Carnagecrafts for the next year. Try not to kill everyone."

"Hold on, what the ..." I say out loud before noticing the small 'P.T.O.' on the bottom of the second side of the sheet. Hesitating a moment, I turn it over again.

"Just go with it, OK?" the writing now states.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I check in with Dishmab first. "How's the whole free power thing going?"

"Absolutely fine!" he replies. "And certainly not going to flood the fortress with all devouring magma if we forget to pull a switch." He continues, looking shiftily around. "Er, I've just remembered somewhere I have to be! See you."

I later hear that work has begun on a pressure-regulating diagonal filter for the lava feed. Nice to know that people are on top of things around here.

PsychoAngel bumps into me later in the day, I give him a suitable greeting Head Dorf-like greeting, but he waves it off. "None of that, now," he says. "After all you're the semi-secret overseer for the year!"

"Does everybody know about that?" I inquire.

"Eh, whatever. I'm just looking forwards to the glorious battle."

"Glorious battle?" I repeat.

"You know, when the vile goblins slink into our fortress and we destroy them with our superior dwarven know-how."

"Oh right! Good job on training our soldiers and war dogs then. If they can even get past the numerous traps that await them." I congratulate him.

"Ah, right." he replies, scribbling something on a bit of paper while mumbling under his breath ... 'traps ... war dogs .... soldiers ...'".

I notice two dwarves are making rock chairs and tables while perched precariously on top of hundreds of other chairs and tables. "Good job guys! Which charity are you raising money for with this stunt?" I call out, but they seem too busy to reply.

Suddenly a human caravan has arrived. Everybody and his mother-in-law is hauling sub-standard tables to the trade depot to get rid of them. I quickly join in. I estimate well over 200 items of furniture were dumped outside that day. With that done we put the nice furniture to use in the meeting room.

The spare furniture is traded for drink, food, cloth and leather.

Udil Idestil is taken by a fey mood!

I also spot a couple of interesting pieces that end up being kept in the fortress.

Trading leaves us with lots of tacky metal toys and stuff that seemed like a goody buy at the time. It's all thrown into the magma smelter as soon as the traders leave.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:48:11 am by ptb_ptb »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2014, 09:56:53 am »

In a word, one whole game year is too much for me to cope with. :P

Handing over to next player as of 2nd Granite (Early Spring)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9817

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

More masterworks created, and an artifact!

Fill in pool behind floodgates, pull lever, obsidian walls form in diagonal pattern across flow removing any excess pressure.

Quick rooms for the newly named Baron and the sheriff.

Whoops! I f***ed up. Salt water got into the aqueduct. :( Next person will have to put in a short pump stack to desalinate I guess.

Oh, and I'm afraid I played it in DF 0.40.13 not DF 0.40.12.
I didn't notice until too late that the last save was tagged 40.12. Sorry. Hopefully that won't cause any trouble.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:16:33 am by ptb_ptb »

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2014, 10:48:55 am »

Turn list is going quite fast :O

Downloading now! I'm gonna turn this fort into something beautiful

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2014, 12:34:20 pm »

Excerpts from the diary of newly appointed manager Wickys:

Uhm.... Well.
I've been appointed Manager of this fort for the remainder of this year and next year. The previous one walked circles in his office erratically and repeated that he 'couldn't handle it'. Sounds promising.
It's all a bit too much for me to be honest. I've only been cutting wood and making beds since I arrived here.
And for some reason only Armok knows I've been choosen as the champion. Hah! As if they think I'll charge head on into enemy forces to 'valiantly defend our lives'. They'll see the consequences of
their decision when that time comes.

Anyway, I've been told to write in a diary so the next manager will know what I've done. They also said that I should promise not to bring misfortune upon this fort... I hate promises.

2nd Granite 119

Now I'm truly pissed off. The only part of the fort I've seen is the outside and my workshop. Turns out there's a whole network of forges, tunnels and farms right under my room! Oh yes. I've switched rooms. As manager I think I deserve more than a 3 square Urist claustrophobic hole. Its truly indescribable how I and other dwarfs here live.
I ordered Psychoangel out of his office but he refuses to give it up. I'll have his head on a spike if he doesn't watch himself. But I don't need his stupid office. I'll carve a new, better one right out of the rock.

3rd Granite 119

After a good night's sleep in my new house I've decided to check out our food supply. The stockpiles are nice and full but there's something so so wrong about our farms... I asked them what the hell the farmers think they're doing but the only thing that's in their heads are their stupid plump helmets. I will reorganize the farms and stockpiles to make actual sense.

4th Granite 119

ARMOKDAMNIT!
Kobolds were spotted stealing our stuff but nobody decided to get off their lazy ass and do something about it! I ordered 3 grown dogs to be trained to the scent of kobolds and to bite off their heads if one comes close.Also, we have tens of dogs but no cats which boggles the fucking mind. I ordered some puppys to be butchered as compensation for this imbalance.

6th Granite 119

Psychoangels reported that an elven *spit* diplomat complained to him about the tree cutting in the area.
He told the human-elf to walk to hell and then locked him in the room between the hall and his office. I'll need to find someone to murder that stinking elf. Nil Nokimbuzat, a so called 'animal caretaker', has volunteered to do the job. Great! He'll also be the militia commander and be the start of our army! I gave him an obsidian sword and no armour. Partly because he needed to prove himself unarmoured against an elf, and also because we have nothing to give him. I'll need to order the farmers to start growing pig tails as soon as the seasons allow it.

I've ordered hundreds of trees to be cut down in celebration of the death of a tree-hugger!

17th Granite 119

I'm still cutting down trees before an elven caravan arrives. Har! Maybe they haven't noticed their diplomat has gone missing. I send my broker up there to check what they have after he's done making extra wooden barrels and bins. I'm not even going to tell you what the block and bars stockpiles look like.

24th Slate 119

The elves had nothing and I sent them away.

Ah my scouter reported that some new migrants have been spotted coming here. Good, they will be questioned and if they don't have any useful skills they will be drafted into my new squad The Lanterns of Shielding.

2͒͐̂ͯ̚5͌ͩtͥ̄̈͋̈́h Sͩͨ͒ͥ͒͐ͮ͐̑̕͏l̅͞a͂͆̇̔̓ͧ͟t̢ͣ̌̌ͯ̊͑̂̅̎̿͡e̡ͮͮ͐̾̓̑ͣ̊̾̅̚̚̕̕͡ ̴͂͛̔̍͌ͤ1̵͛ͧ̚̚1̸̷̷̗̮̫̺͙͖̻̦̻̓ͮ̑̽ͮ͋ͅ9̨̙̙͇͎̱̹͚̼̩̱͎̳̬̮̱̟͆ͥ͌̿͂͋͗̑́̕͡ͅ/b] The date appears to be covered in crusted blood

ARMOK HELP ME IN THESE DARK AND DANGEROUS TIMES!
My scouter came running into my office missing an arm and said we are under attack by a weregecko.

He dropped dead on the spot.
Tens of dwarves are still outside hauling wood and I don't have anyone to deal with a weregecko! I ordered my first DEFCON 1 Alert. I rang the bells and closed the drawbridges. Anyone still caught outside when the bridges are up... Armok help them. Geckos can't climb walls can they?
I'll need to start forging armour and weapons for some warriors. Should I go too? No. We're safe inside. We have plenty of wood and eventually the thing has to die right?

5th Felsite 119

The thing is still out there. I can hear it 'howl' every night. We don't know how many died. Presumably every migrant that arrived.In other news, I got myself a lackey. UltraMagnus will take over the work orders for me. Managing work orders and the accompanied paperwork is hard when everything is  carved into stone tablets. I ordered some fresh clothes... and fresh armour.

1th Hematite 119

It's now summer and production is going slow. The barracks still haven't been cleaned out properly and nobody has started forging weapons and armour yet. We have a weregecko feasting on the corpses of dead immigrants every full moon. We probably will go to war with elves soon...
Still, could be worse.

**I'll have the next update out tomorrow**
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:25:38 pm by wickys »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »

You know what's really odd? I dug out seven 4x4 rooms near the dining room for us founders, and it seems they haven't been used yet. Thought I put beds in them and everything.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2014, 02:18:20 am »

You know what's really odd? I dug out seven 4x4 rooms near the dining room for us founders, and it seems they haven't been used yet. Thought I put beds in them and everything.

Haha, I saw those. I assumed they had already been assigned, didn't check.

I'd have still dug the new rooms, though, as the baron needed an office / tomb / dining room as well.

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2014, 11:42:22 am »

Hey maybe you could update the first post with some background story and links to the posts people made.

Right now it looks like we haven't started yet..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12