Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How will the turn order go after the last one is done?

Loop turn order
- 2 (50%)
Roll for it
- 1 (25%)
Make suggestion (post)
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: November 17, 2014, 07:13:19 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Carnagecrafts: Story of the Nameless Nomads  (Read 16817 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Carnagecrafts: Story of the Nameless Nomads
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 10:04:46 am »

I would say 125 years, so we still have a decent megabeast population.

Speaking of which, would you care to increase said population in the advanced world gen?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »

I would say 125 years, so we still have a decent megabeast population.

Speaking of which, would you care to increase said population in the advanced world gen?

I could... though my last fort was taken out by an enormous quadruped made of steel that also just so happened to shoot webs... So, yeah: high mass + high surface area + blunt force + webs making me immobile = death to the whole fortress of around 80 or so.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:00 pm »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2014, 03:04:03 pm »

Alriiiiiiight!  I'm excited to "get on with it" as they say.  I'll be generating the world as we speak!

This'll be Fun with a capital F.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2014, 03:57:03 pm »

The year was 116 when the seven of us had first met. "The Nameless Nomads" we called ourselves. We had no place in society, no real importance. In essence, we were unknown, nameless. We never met in the same place twice, never had a person known where we were going once we started moving. It was after almost a year of this that we realized that there WAS a way to make a name for ourselves. To bring glory unto ourselves and to the mountainhomes in which we have come from. We decided, in 117, to venture out into the unknown and create the next great piece of civilization. Our target was "The Granite Furnace" the volcano within "The Everseeing Hills."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We knew that the name of "Nameless Nomads" would not gain any favor with our lords, so we decided to come up with a new name. We titled ourselves "The Righteous Picks," as we knew that much of our labor and craftsdwarfship would be attributed to mining for precious metals. We also wanted to name our fortress before we even set out for it. We then decided upon the name "Carnagecrafts," as we also knew that with deep digging and hard labor, came great beasts and invading hostiles, which can only be appeased with blood.

With permission granted for our new group to found the next dwarven outpost, we took stock of what we had:

And then we were on our way.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:10:23 pm by PsychoAngel »

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »

Should I switch to your texturepack or are we okay if I use the ASCII for my turn...

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »

Should I switch to your texturepack or are we okay if I use the ASCII for my turn...

ASKII SHOULD be fine, although I am unsure of how things might pan out if we have constant switching...

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2014, 04:22:28 pm »

ASKII SHOULD be fine, although I am unsure of how things might pan out if we have constant switching...

It's pretty trival to switch back and forth; I dislike using tilesets so I always play with ASCII, and if need be, restore the tilepack at the end of my turn.

I'm getting back into DF after a long hitatus so sign me up for a turn.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

Here we were, near a volcano at the edge of the ocean... creating what we hope to be the next great chapter of our ancestry. I quickly drew up the plans for our fortress' courtyard while we created a makeshift food stockpile to increase efficiency.

Whilst we toiled away, Tonnot decided that for the time being he would be known as a third miner instead of a bone carver, as we did not have any bones in our possession yet.

We worked for many hours, and after the courtyard was finished, we began work on the main hall, where the woodworking and craftsdwarfship would take place.

With the main hall finished, I made designations for some workshops to be built, and some were already finished:

I quickly drew up the plans for the kitchen, dining hall, and food stores:

That'll be all from me for now, guys.  How's it looking so far?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:14:04 pm by PsychoAngel »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2014, 05:23:24 pm »

Here we were, near a volcano at the edge of the ocean... creating what we hope to be the next great chapter of our ancestry. I quickly drew up the plans for our fortress' courtyard while we created a makeshift food stockpile to increase efficiency.

Whilst we toiled away, Tonnot decided that for the time being he would be known as a third miner instead of a bone carver, as we did not have any bones in our possession yet.

We worked for many hours, and after the courtyard was finished, we began work on the main hall, where the woodworking and craftsdwarfship would take place.

With the main hall finished, I made designations for some workshops to be built, and some were already finished:

Looks good so far, but where the volcano magma in relation to the fortress?

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2014, 05:26:38 pm »

Looks good so far, but where the volcano magma in relation to the fortress?
The Volcano is in the southeast corner of the fort so it's not in the way of any building/digging. The shaft that brings it to the surface isn't too far away from the main part of the fort, anyway.

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2014, 03:22:22 am »

looks very good.   hopefully by the time my turn hits there will be a stable farming setup to feed our minions.... dwarves.     If you haven't already done it by my turn. i'll focus on setting up the magma forge(s), and furnaces. and breach the volcano.
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »

So I've got tons of stuff to do today and tomorrow, so I might not have an update until Sunday or so...
But if I can get on tomorrow, I'll do my best to get an update rolling out.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2014, 06:44:09 pm »

Summer has recently begun, and the kitchens and dining hall have already been excavated:

With that out of the way, we have begun to dig out a space for the workshops. Too lazy to document the plans right now, so I'll just have more on it as it finishes. It saddens me that Dacite does not keep its blue coloration as a building material, otherwise the kitchens would be an absolutely beautiful shade of blue. I have instructed Boes to construct crafts out of the local stone, so that we may make trade with the caravan as it visits this autumn, and he's been doing very well with that job. Native gold and copper are very prominent in this area, but it saddens me that I have no experience with pump systems and do not want to risk damaging anything in the fortress, so that will have to be kept to other overseers. Production has been my main focus, so none of us have rooms yet, though they will be next on the list.

In other news, the first wave of migrants has arrived! We need all the help we can get out here. I have asked our new laborers what their jobs were, and this is what they said:
  • Gem cutter
  • Farmer
  • Beekeeper
  • Fish cleaner
  • Peasant, assigned to Masonry and Engineering, but also has skills with the hammer.

On a side note, I have begun setting up rooms and digging out a reservoir for where the magma will be pumped later. They are in the two sub-levels beneath the dining hall. I have also decided to remake the bridge and walls protecting the courtyard out of solid cobaltite. They shine a brilliant shade of blue:

For the sake of production, Brisby has been assigned to masonry. We will have a brilliant blue entrance for our brethren to gawk at soon enough. Construction of tables, chairs, coffins, and a few weapon racks and armor stands has been begun as well. Obsidian is also plentiful in the area due to the nearby volcano, so i have told our stonecrafters to assemble five obsidian short swords. Excavation of "Stockpile Hall" has been begun on the top level of the fortress. This will allow us to finally get rid of the wagon and have all of our resources inside the fort.

Autumn has arrived, and so too will the caravan, given time. I have assigned the fish cleaner to be our broker. In due time, we will have a grand spectacle of a fortress. Speaking of, I don't believe I've mentioned the condition of the workshops:

Wickys has created his first masterwork today, with many more to come in the future. I am now excavating rooms for the original seven of us near the dining hall, and have ordered rooms for the other citizens to be dug out as well:

We have spotted thieves today. Lucky for us they're pretty timid, and have fled the scene. This will only mean trouble for us in the future, though...

The animals that once hauled our wagon to this location have been designated for slaughter, and Nob was more than willing to take up the cause. It's almost sad to see these trustworthy creatures go, but all is for the good of the fortress.

One of our dogs just gave birth to five pups. They will be very well trained in the future.

The Caravan has arrived! I've suspended all current jobs and have told all to move the goods into the depot. I have specified the merchants to bring a little bit of everything when they next return, so be prepared for that. I have purchased some food, booze, anvils, cloth, and leather from the merchants with the crafts we have made. Hopefully soon enough we may put them to use.

Tonnot, the Great Bone Carver, is being recognized as a legendary miner! Cavern walls crumble before her mighty hands! It was her dream to master a skill, and we are all very happy for her.

The Beekeeper keeps informing me that he can no longer hunt because he is out of ammunition. I guess that's why I told Tonnot to create bone bolts.

More migrants! Labors are as follows:
  • Presser
  • Weaponsmith

The merchants have left the depot, and winter will be upon us soon. It appears that we have just about everything we need to be entirely self-sufficient! Almost all of the workshops are complete by this time, and it's all coming together very nicely! For some reason, though, no one wants to put the anvils into the furniture stockpile. Huh.

Nothing worthy of note has happened all winter, however, and we are all anxious to see what the fort's first strange mood produces, once it comes. As my term nears its end, I assess what I have accomplished this year:
  • Set up workshops, kitchens, bedrooms, and the dining hall
  • Created a safe wall/drawbridge to keep us protected during a siege
  • Set up the rooms for magma smelting, once pumps are made
  • Set up a depot and stockpiles
  • Established farms

Spring has arrived, and it is now time to pass on the tradition.
Head on over here to see how the fort changed over time.
Get the file for the fort here.

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2014, 03:55:27 am »

Already a masterpiece? Damn I'm a badass..

Also your images are not publicly available it says
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12