Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How will the turn order go after the last one is done?

Loop turn order
- 2 (50%)
Roll for it
- 1 (25%)
Make suggestion (post)
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: November 17, 2014, 07:13:19 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Carnagecrafts: Story of the Nameless Nomads  (Read 16801 times)

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Carnagecrafts: Story of the Nameless Nomads
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »

I forgot to ask a while ago, but how do you guys like the job titles I gave you?  :P
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2014, 11:29:20 am »

5th Moonstone

The winter is off to a great start with kobolds stealing our stuff again. Argh I still haven't chained the dogs outside. Damnit!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other news pig tails have been grown and are being processed into cloth finally. It's about time. Some are even dyed with dimple cup dye. Fancy.

But Kivish the cheesemaker is still in hospital. Nobody is treating him!

Also I've lined the dining room floor with the countless gold bars we had. It looks really good.

Apparently PsychoAngel thinks her room is subpar. Well damn the bitch you can sleep in the volcano if you keep sulking about!

27th Moonstone

Well finally Kivish has been assessed and diagnosed with a shattered wrist and ankle. How did he get that? A mystery...

Some days ago I ordered the kitchens to make some nice meals out of our stock of fish, meat and plants. I got a taste of the chefs finest stew.
When he told me what was in it... I...

Hmpf.

5th Opal

The clothiers are producing great articles of clothing. The best fibre trousers, socks and shirts. I won't bother giving them shoes or vests. The plebs don't deserve it. But maybe I'll make an emerald encrusted silk robe for myself... Sounds nice.

And Kivish finally got discharged from the hospital which is also nice.

10th Opal

I told the kitchens to scrap plump helmets in the menu's and combine some actual ingredients. This is much better!

27th Obsidian

One more day left in my schedule for manager. It's been a good time. I've seen good sides of my home and bad ones. I've tried to fix most of the bad ones, even though most of it will go unnoticed. In two days I return to my regular job. And I won't be getting stock reports anymore, won't be telling anyone what to do. I'll just be me again.

One particular clothier is working feverishly on his own project. Who knows what he'll make.. I'll probably never find out. Maybe I will hear it in the dining hall sometime.

1st Granite 120

Happy new year!

Now... back to carving beds!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9873

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:31:21 am by wickys »

TheBrisbyMouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2014, 06:46:44 pm »

Okay, I put the world in my save folder, but it's not showing up when I hit "Continue Playing". Did I do something wrong?

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2014, 07:05:16 pm »

If you're using 40.12 instead of 40.13, check and see if that is the issue and simply switch versions. I myself will be checking this out so we can see what exactly the problem is.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2014, 02:30:23 am »

Okay, I put the world in my save folder, but it's not showing up when I hit "Continue Playing". Did I do something wrong?

OK, basic questions but sometimes it's the simple things.

1. Did you unrar (extract) the files?
If you are on Windows you need a utility like WinRar or 7zip
2. Into the right folder (directory)?
It should be somewhere like
... Dwarf Fortress 40_13\data\save\Carnagecrafts
not
... Dwarf Fortress 40_13\data\save\Carnagecrafts\Carnagecrafts
3. Did it download properly? (I only got 6MB instead of 28MB the first time I downloaded)
()==[:::::::::::::>

TheBrisbyMouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2014, 03:49:53 pm »

Okay, it does seem that the version was the problem. I could have sworn I had .13 until I double checked.
Edit:
First things first: I looked at the fortress stocks before unpausing and saw that we had over 500 gold ingots. Just sitting there. And a legendary metalworker. Just sitting there. I set up a forge making gold crafts on repeat, dropped most of Mr. Moneymaker's allowed jobs, and assigned the forge to him and him only. Second, I dug a new reservoir(pic 1) and a 10x10 area near the gate to hold the gold crafts. Third, I designated trees to be cut down, you can never have too much wood. Fourth, I put in an order for 100 (yes, 100, a 1 with 2 zero's behind it) wooden bins. Fifth, stopped production of rock crafts. Sixth, unpaused. Not long after letting things go, a clothier finished his little project(pics 2 and 3). Barely worth more than a masterwork gold craft. An elven caravan stopped by not long after(pics 4&5). I had more than enough gold crafts, so I bought everything, as well as gave them a few other trinkets because I'm a nice guy. Some migrants arrive, only 11 of them(pic 6). Pic 7 is just a wealth screenshot after the hippies left(IDK how, but the top part of pic 6 is in all the ones after it). Reservoir dug out, filling it up(pic 8 ). A turkey almost died in pic 9. Dug out some mineshafts to uncover more gold. Began construction of a doomsday magma weapon. Smoothed and engraved my room, tomb, etc. Pic 10 is the status at the end of spring.
http://imgur.com/a/vvQKX
Plans: Start making some soap, fix the dropping food reserves, work on doomsday magma weapon, and dig a bit deeper.
Anything else I should keep in mind before I start summer?
Edit2: http://imgur.com/a/OrWyB#0
Here's summer: I unpause and not a minute passes before the human caravan arrives(pic 1). I can afford to buy everything useful and get rid off all the non-masterwork rock crafts lying around(pic 3). A diplomat arrives immediately after I finish trading(pic 4). He doesn't have anything to say and leaves after meeting with us. The caravan helps fix our food situation, we should hold out until the dwarven caravan arrives in the fall(pic 2). Migrants, only 11 of them(pics 5&6). I was very disappointed. We passed the 1 million wealth mark(pic 7). Moody dwarf(pic 8 ). He makes a bag(pics 9&10). Summer was pretty uneventful(final stats is pic 11). Wealth has more than tripled since the last player. Worked on misc projects like keeping the gold nuggets flowing into the forges, filling the cistern, working on the magma weapon, and cautiously digging deeper. Plans for autumn are to find the first cavern level, make more money, buy the entire dwarven caravan, and try to permanently fix the food problems.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:37:23 pm by TheBrisbyMouse »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2014, 12:09:39 pm »

It's been a week. Should I take over?

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »

Yes please

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »

Brisby updated his post yesterday, so he hasn't disappeared or anything. I'm sure he'll put a save up somewhere.

TheBrisbyMouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »

Calm down guys, I've gotten bad FPS throughout the whole thing and am working on winter right now. Should be done before 8 CST.
EDIT: I thought I'd put what I had, which is fall. I was planning on doing them both together, but I felt a sign of progress is needed.

I designated a large area to be smoothed(because the masons/engravers weren't doing anything), drafted some farmers into actually farming, and unpaused. Nothing happened until the Dwarven caravan arrived(pic 1). I bought everything(pic 2) and made a 50,000 dwarfbuck offering to the mountainhome. Monarch's gonna be real happy with all his/her new bling. Food problem fixed, probably permenantly(pic 3). I took this time to make a 10x10 plump helmet field in the farm level to deal with the food deficit. Migrants arrived, only 6 of them(pics 4&5). How DARE only 6 dwarves come to the richest fortress in the civilization! Moody dwarf, problem is he wants shells(pics 6&7) and we have none. I stationed our 3 almost-legendary-armor-clad-well-armed warriors near him just in case he's one of those dwarves. Everybody seemed ecstatic in the fort, so he can probably die without triggering a tantrum spiral. Breached the caverns(pic 8 ). We seem to have a ghost(pic 9). No idea how or where he died. Stats when winter began(pic 10).

http://imgur.com/a/uso15#0
Also, new ETA for winter and save is no later than 10, forgot to take further reduction in framerate into account. It sure has been eventful so far.
Edit 2: Winter
http://imgur.com/a/3tio8#0
Bam! Goblin siege(pic 1). I may need to slam the door shut on the-... wait, there's only TEN of them(pic 2)? I'll still have to shut the gate, my military is preoccupied with watching Mr. Moody Dwarf. A few days later, Mr. Moody becomes Mr. Stark Raving Mad(pic 3). I open the gates, put the dogs on alert, and wait. It takes them almost a week to get to the gate. The pastured animals, I thought, would make a great distraction. Turns out they weren't as good of a distraction as I thought. The captain of the guard got ganged up on and stabbed in the spine. He died, but his death was avenged.  Most of the goblins dodged into cage traps or eaten by dogs. Unfortunately, I forgot about the goblin crossbowman, who picked off a few haulers running to grab the fresh meat hot off the battlefield(pic 6 shows stats after the siege). After cleaning up the mess, I dealt with the ghost(pic 5). Another moody dwarf, this one has all the stuff he needs(pics 6-9). Page 10 is the Granite 1st stats, just shy of 2 million dwarfbucks of wealth. If the gold runs out, one can just dig deeper to the galena and make silver crafts. They're only 1/3 the price of gold and the ore is further from the smelters. Food shouldn't be a problem. Housing for the new arrivals shouldn't be hard, as several dorfs died in the siege. The main concern I have for the future of Carnagecrafts is defence. I floored off the cavern to make sure no uninvited guests can through that way. I suggest using the volcano's fun stuff, Boatmurdered style. Here's the file and have fun.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9928
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:50:20 pm by TheBrisbyMouse »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2014, 10:05:14 pm »

(I think I might play into the whole wickys calling my dwarf an oaf thing...)

Well... looks like UltraMagnus has a bit of cleaning up to do.

After intense partying, I've had the displeasure of waking up to wickys' inane bitching. It was fine for the first year, his scolding has apparently became such a problem that another dwarf had to take over the fortress just to make time to bother my sorry ass. Well, I have just about the worst hangover, and I'm really not in the mood for this crap at 4 am. I bellowed, loud enough for the mountainhome to hear me,

"Maybe this fortress wouldn't be such a slum if you got off of your lazy bum and actually contributed something of worth."

So Brisby decided to get a few dwarves killed in a goblin siege and throw a few valiant livestock in the way to those monsters. Maybe wickys could chew his ear out since mine's still ringing.

"You know what? Fine UltraMagnus. You can be in charge of the fortress, and we can see just how well you do at it!"

Dwarven puberty is a funny thing, the beard of a dwarf below the belt grows out to the length of the beard on the chin, and seemingly all dwarven parents say something along the lines of what wickys' whiskey-scented breathe was conveying. Well, his gamble.

"Fine, you convolution bastard."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not expecting the best from me, the other dwarves have decided to not renovate my office into a throne room. Just as well, no official titles have changed for fear of a public riot, but they assured me that I would still have complete control of the market as Head Mason. The one who controls the wealth controls the government.. huh.

So I've been given a quick re-tour of the fortress (I've been shit-faced drunk almost all of this time, I really am thankful that I didn't drown in a puddle or something). It is an absolute mess. There's dead bodies laying right outside, we have a bunch of loot stashed right in our foyer (Are we running a charity drive for thieves to pillage us, or something?), our upper entrance is completely unguarded, and for some reason there's a cage filled with the maggot-infested corpse of a dead panda.

Brisby's passed me on my way back to the office. I couldn't help but feel him gently brush my bust. Before turning around to slap him, a sheet of paper was noticed in my pocket protector. Please, make us safer... Hmph... pussy...

Though he does have a point. Now I'm left with nothing to do but plan for how to make the fortress "safer" as I twiddle my thumbs in my office, just sketching where I can imagine a few master control rooms. Maybe I'll have one of the dwarves make me a cute little replica of the fortress I can just keep in my quarters. I've always like "artsy" things.

Well, first things first. We have prisoners in cages, so we need something to do with them. Jail is a bit unreliable, and military executions are a bit... unsatisfying. My fingers can't help but make circles around on of my mugs. I think I have an idea for my first day on the job...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:08:33 pm by UltraMagnus »

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2014, 06:16:27 am »

Nice..

Oh yes: If anyone can murder that blacksmith that sabotaged weapons production when i got attacked by a weregecko that'd be great.

Avuz Shameblor . the slowest smith in the history of the known world.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2014, 07:50:32 am »

My question to you guys regarding turn order:
Do you want to repeat the turn order, or should I roll an 8-sider for the next turn order?

Regarding the current condition of Carnagecrafts:
I'm enjoying how things are panning out so far, besides the dorf deaths.
Our craftsdwarfship shall rule the market for many generations to come, it seems.

Suggestions:
I would like to have a statue garden near an underground lake if there is a good spot for one down there.
Expand the military just a bit, maybe some crossbowdwarves for more security of the commonfolk.

I also updated the OP, finally. Don't let me forget to do that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:52:22 am by PsychoAngel »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2014, 08:03:28 am »

Do you want to repeat the turn order, or should I roll an 8-sider for the next turn order?
Repeating is fine with me. Not that the alternative would bother me much.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2014, 09:58:07 pm »

Regarding the current condition of Carnagecrafts:
I'm enjoying how things are panning out so far, besides the dorf deaths.
Our craftsdwarfship shall rule the market for many generations to come, it seems.

Suggestions:
I would like to have a statue garden near an underground lake if there is a good spot for one down there.
Expand the military just a bit, maybe some crossbowdwarves for more security of the commonfolk.

I also updated the OP, finally. Don't let me forget to do that.

I'd rather go with a d8 for the sake of unexpectedness.
Anyway, I'm currently working on my first season with the fort. I can't upload any pics at the moment, but let's just say I'm preparing dinner and a show.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:40:17 pm by UltraMagnus »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12