Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saved game/region RAW alteration and existing creatures  (Read 1376 times)

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saved game/region RAW alteration and existing creatures
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:43:28 am »

If I change the raw's of a saved game/region, will the effects take effect retroactively or only matter for new generated characters (if that even is a thing)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Saved game/region RAW alteration and existing creatures
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:52:48 am »

If I change the raw's of a saved game/region, will the effects take effect retroactively or only matter for new generated characters (if that even is a thing)?

It will apply "retroactively" to existing creatures.  Some changes require that you gen a new world, but those mostly involve entities.

So you can give all of your Dwarves prehensile tails, and this will seem perfectly normal to them.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:14 am »

Retroactive characters?

Like previous characters who are dead or retired?  Yes, if it affects the world after gen, it will affect current characters.  But death is more permanent.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:29 am »

It will apply "retroactively" to existing creatures.  Some changes require that you gen a new world, but those mostly involve entities.

Thanks. Why the quotation marks though?

Retroactive characters?

Every game created character before the time of my modifications. Not just fort dwarves or adventures, retired or otherwise, but all the ones made by world gen included animals, etc. (that my changes would apply to).

This might seem like a stupid question for some, but as I have no idea what is hard-coded into the game or becomes such after the saved region is generated so I thought I'd rather ask before doing any extensive modifications only to find out that it didn't work for my current region which I intend to keep for some while.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:35:23 am »

Thanks. Why the quotation marks though?

Retroactive characters?

Every game created character before the time of my modifications. Not just fort dwarves or adventures, retired or otherwise, but all the ones made by world gen included animals, etc. (that my changes would apply to).

This might seem like a stupid question for some, but as I have no idea what is hard-coded into the game or becomes such after the saved region is generated so I thought I'd rather ask before doing any extensive modifications only to find out that it didn't work for my current region which I intend to keep for some while.

I put quotes around retroactively because all of the creatures will be affected upon re-load, but it won't change anything that happened in history.  Dead characters don't have bodies, so it shouldn't get too weird.  I don't know what would happen if you had a historical figure that lost a hand in battle and then you modded on tentacles instead.

"The old tales say that he lost his... hand in battle."
"What's a hand?"
"You know, that set of five stubby tentacles that humans have."
"Oh, where did he get one of those?"
"Probably bought it off a goblin merchant or something.  He was an odd guy."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:38:58 am »

"The old tales say that he lost his... hand in battle."
"What's a hand?"
"You know, that set of five stubby tentacles that humans have."
"Oh, where did he get one of those?"
"Probably bought it off a goblin merchant or something.  He was an odd guy."
lol  basically.  the past happened under different circumstances
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »

I put quotes around retroactively because all of the creatures will be affected upon re-load, but it won't change anything that happened in history.  Dead characters don't have bodies, so it shouldn't get too weird.  I don't know what would happen if you had a historical figure that lost a hand in battle and then you modded on tentacles instead.

Ah, I thought I had made some awkward typo or something.

Anyway, thanks! I hadn't considered that situation for historical characters. I shall keep that in mind although I only intend to do some minor mod combining and hopefully none of them replace any existing limbs with others. Heh. Mainly going to change material strengths and at worst, creating new ones.