Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teleporting dwarves?  (Read 1775 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Teleporting dwarves?
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:25:41 am »

Long story short, I have dwarves who end up at unlikely locations (like on walls, or apparently walking on the water of caverns - this one includes crundles, and I don't think they all had walls to grab - or in the walled-out caverns, busy being chased by the Forgotten Beasts that were the reason I'd walled off the damn caverns in the first place).
I don't think climbing is involved because not all offenders are even dabbling in climbing after the deed. Double-checking right now... yep, no climbers.
Is that a reported bug, a feature, or am I out of luck?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

BloodAndIron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teleporting dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:08 am »

Long story short, I have dwarves who end up at unlikely locations (like on walls, or apparently walking on the water of caverns - this one includes crundles, and I don't think they all had walls to grab - or in the walled-out caverns, busy being chased by the Forgotten Beasts that were the reason I'd walled off the damn caverns in the first place).
I don't think climbing is involved because not all offenders are even dabbling in climbing after the deed. Double-checking right now... yep, no climbers.
Is that a reported bug, a feature, or am I out of luck?

I'd like to think that your dwarves are beardy versions of Nightcrawler, but there are some reasons that these things could happen. Perhaps there's a path to the top of the wall that you are unaware of, or you left a single diagonal path into the caverns.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:48:28 am »

Or for some reasons your dwarves like to meet on a bridge that acts as a catapult when opened or closed.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 04:32:06 pm »

I had no bridge at all on that map.
As for the walls? Nope. (Maybe Urist got here through climbing on a tree though...)
I'll double-check all diagonals I have, but I'm pretty sure there was none.
If it keeps happening, I'll upload the save and let other Bay12ers take a looke.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:15:05 pm »

I've only had something similar happen once:
I had set up my cavern guard to train next to my forges on a constructed floor with constructed roof and constructed walls on the magma pool in the cave. One unlucky swordsdwarf charged an axedwarf through the wall and they both went down the magma pool.
But aside from charge attacks and climbing i can't think of any teleport inducing mechanics.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »

There is/was a bug that prevented climbing creatures from gaining skills unless they fell and caught a hold on the way down. I wouldn't suggest using lack of climbing skill to rule out climbing.

But aside from charge attacks and climbing i can't think of any teleport inducing mechanics.

Creature-swapping is a classic example that is known to result in dwarves dying in inaccessible places. Tame flying creatures are dangerous in multi-z-level areas, and I have observed the same behavior in v0.40.x.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:03:45 pm »

There is/was a bug that prevented climbing creatures from gaining skills unless they fell and caught a hold on the way down. I wouldn't suggest using lack of climbing skill to rule out climbing.
Ooooh, that probably explains it.