Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf lashers?  (Read 1765 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Dwarf lashers?
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:41:14 am »

I got an iron whip from some human traders, it was base quality, no decorations. I was thinking, if I used DFHack to make it exceptional, the normal quality of weapons in my fortress, would a lasher get his own look, like the other soldiers do, and how effective would a lasher be in fortress mode? If it works out, I'll train him in a danger room.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf lashers?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:37:58 am »

Yes, they can be very effective. In one of my 34.11 forts a one handed lasher was one of the fort's kill count kings, using a base quality silver whip bought from a caravan.

Back then whips were deadly, penetrating helmets and cracking skulls like nothing. They might have been toned down somewhat in 40.xx; I haven't seen a lasher in action yet.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:38:15 am »

Soldiers getting a unique look for their class has nothing to do with the quality of the weapon they wield, and everything to do with their highest Weapon Skill.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:40:37 am »

I know that, I just didn't know if non-native weapon skills got fortress looks as well.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:44:28 am »

Lashers would look the same as Recruits/Wrestlers, at least in standard ASCII.

Uhhh... welcome?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:55:59 am »

Lashers would look the same as Recruits/Wrestlers, at least in standard ASCII.

I can't speak for lashers as to if they get the benefits of weapon mastery (that is no bad moods from patrol duty,) but last time I had any both they and knife users were not considered "true" soldiers and remained listed under recruits, crappy moods and all despite mastery of thier chosen weapons. Wrestlers gain a white color as opposed to lashers (and knife-users,) who remain recruit gray no matter what.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:03:15 am »

Just dropped him from high above into a danger room/coinstar, he became a master lasher, even has his own look. Yay! No bad mood from being in the room for three months now, so I guess Toady changed something. He's listed under others, not recruits.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 03:04:06 am »

I can't speak for lashers as to if they get the benefits of weapon mastery (that is no bad moods from patrol duty,) but last time I had any both they and knife users were not considered "true" soldiers and remained listed under recruits, crappy moods and all despite mastery of thier chosen weapons. Wrestlers gain a white color as opposed to lashers (and knife-users,) who remain recruit gray no matter what.

The lasher I wrote about earlier flashed the white/gray as Wrestlers when he learned mastery of his humble weapon. Eventually he got Legendary +5 at Lasher skill and was in all ways equal with other weapon lords in the fortress.

EDIT: He was listed under "Others" but the look was the same.

Uhhh... welcome?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 03:06:11 am »

The lasher I wrote about earlier flashed the white/gray as Wrestlers when he learned mastery of his humble weapon. Eventually he got Legendary +5 at Lasher skill and was in all ways equal with other weapon lords in the fortress.

What I mean is that they may still get bad thoughts about long patrol duty (because they don't use "proper" weapons) if it's still applicable, and while they flash and all, they're still ostensibly recruit colored, rather than wrestler colored.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 03:08:39 am »

I could make him a novice/competant swordwarf, as he just started complaining after four month.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 03:19:23 am »

You could make any lashers wrestlers instead. It actually trains at a decent rate now  making the inclusion of wrestlers viable, and once they max out thier wrestler skill or at least make it to elite, give them back thier whips and not see a complaint in the world about patrol duty. Plus an elite wrestler would probably be able to supplement whip strikes with chest-collapsing punches against unarmed enemies.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:34:00 pm »

What I mean is that they may still get bad thoughts about long patrol duty (because they don't use "proper" weapons) if it's still applicable
I just checked, and that logic is working fine in 0.40.12, and it was also working correctly in 0.34.11 and 0.31.25 (and likely all the way back to 0.31.01).

It did not, however, work properly back in 0.28.181.40d and earlier, since only the "canonical" military professions were included in that check (as well as the check for whether you were permitted to Deactivate them back to Civilian mode). Interestingly, elite wrestlers were not exempt from patrol duty complaints back then, though it's not clear whether or not it was intentional.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »

They are probably kept from the true bliss of Weaponmastery by the parochial prejudices of their peers. "Master Lasher, huh?  Why don't you try mastering a real weapon!"
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 12:41:36 pm »

He has a good kill list. Twenty goblins, and quite a few musk oxen. Everyone else has around ten goblins, and one or two musk oxen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 03:02:02 pm »

He has a good kill list. Twenty goblins, and quite a few musk oxen. Everyone else has around ten goblins, and one or two musk oxen.

How many kills they have doesn't exactly mean diddly to what the game considers proper weaponry. Whips and similar weapons aren't just foreign items, they aren't "real" weapons. A whip is ostensibly a tool meant for tricks and cattle control, not combat. In the same vein legendary knife-users suffer the same, since they're using things meant to cut a roast not cut someone's head off. They'll still be lumped in with no-skill recruits since they don't have a separate color slot for themselves.

Although if lashers did have a separate color, I feel like it'd be brown for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2