Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fine grained crafting control  (Read 826 times)

Tibrogargan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fine grained crafting control
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:08:04 pm »

I read the article on Jails and so I'm trying to craft some jewel encrusted chains to make prisoners less unhappy.  I thought while I was at it I'd use the opportunity to mess with workshop profiles and stockpile linking.

I created a stockpile that allows cut gems and gives to the "Professional Gem Setting" workshop.  Seems fine, dwarves are happily dumping opals and other things into that stockpile.

I then created a stockpile that takes Finished Goods only, "Types" limited to "Chains", everything else forbidden.  No luck, no chains - they are still in the bulk "Finished Goods stockpile".

I then set it to "Types" limited to "Chains" and everything else permitted .. and still no luck.

The "Chains" stockpile is taking from the bulk Finished Goods stockpile and "Chains" are not permitted in that stockpile. They just sit there mocking me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fine grained crafting control
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:08:00 pm »

check the quality of the chains under the type. 

The most important stat for that is the Total Quality. 

"Core Quality" is the base items used to make the overall item.  The components.  The Total is all of it.

If you have the total quality off, it won't put the item there because it's restricted.  I'd adjust the total over the core, because it's the whole item. This is under each item type for restriction/allow.

I have 2 stockpiles for 'masterwork' quality items only fairly early on.  That way I can find the items. If I want to sell any of them. (like masterwork bone bolts that my bonecrafter seems to kick out every 2s)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:00:03 am »

Either it's the problem that happens when you accidentally get rid of all quality criteria (no qualities accepted), or your dwarves just don't like taking things out of bins.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:53:44 am »

There is also the plant/animal material setting for stockpiles which sometimes gets changed by accident.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 01:44:12 pm »

It's redundant to forbid chains from the bulk goods stockpile.  Your chain-only stockpile is (t)aking from your bulk stockpile.  However chains are not permitted in the bulk stockpile, so they are not technically stockpiled there -- they just happen to exist in its tiles.  Is the chain-only stockpile set to "take from links only," perhaps?

I had a similar situation once myself.  I removed the bulk stockpile altogether, and the dwarves moved the desired goods right away to the nearby specific stockpile.  Then when they were finished I re-designated the bulk stockpile.  Just make sure you don't have another stockpile somewhere to which they will try to move all the other goods.

Tibrogargan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:53 pm »

Messing with the Quality Control did partially solve the problem, thanks very much.  Only problem is now they are finding the Masterpiece Solid Gold Statue of Damp Socks and bringing the whole damn bin, which is mostly just filled with damp socks.

Is there any way to make them stop bringing the whole bin?  If not, I believe I can just do two stockpiles, one that doesn't take bins and links to the other that does which only takes from links?  I think that means the second stockpile take absolutely anything, because the filter stockpile would control access, yes?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:36:12 am »

You need to dump items from the bin, then unforbid. The dwarves will then carry everything to the right stockpiles.

Using bins and barrels are not a good idea right now, unless you know how to avoid issues like that. I only use bins in a cloth and leather material stockpiles.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.