Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: The United Assembly OOC - Bureaucracy, Red Tape, Charters (8 Players Needed!)  (Read 10803 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

The range of opinions on this game is astounding. It's much too slow, it's much too fast. You have absolute unchecked power, but you feel powerless.

I think it's mostly to do with how people think about things.

The first few things that were voted on had 'limits' of 24 hours (that weren't really enforced) and I think people who are busy with work or school are liable to feel that they don't have enough time to invest in the game.

Other people who look at things in the short-term or don't have much to do probably feel that it's too slow.

The UA doesn't really have any power yet because we haven't voted for any beyond what you initially set out for us. Given how long it has taken us to approve a budget and get through one policy forum, some people might not want to wait to the point at which we do have our entirely unlimited power.

I'll be sticking this out to the bitter end though. There'll be some points at which I'll be unable to contribute (the next few weekends, for example) but this is quite entertaining. Hopefully the others who stay and whoever you get to replace the folk who have left fell the same!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

All true, I just find it interesting. And I appreciate your support. There's really no time limit here, how long it takes you to get anything done has no impact on the game whatsoever. You can do what you want! The newspaper articles were just intended to provide a sense of urgency and provide situations for people to introduce legislation over. Yes, it seems like there are a lot of things that need tending to, but in real life the individual situations themselves don't move very quickly either!
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

It all goes to show that Churchill was right. Democracy is the worst form of government.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Look at this, multi tasking.

On a side note, having a news archive would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:37:08 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

On a side note, having a news archive would be nice.
^^

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I'll put one in the reserved post. If I need to make overflows I'll probably just link to posts further on in the thread.

Also, all ratified and signed amendments have been put into effect. The charter has been changed accordingly.

e: Oh, whoops, I don't have another reserved post. Well, I'll just make one in the thread.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:37:19 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

Actually, I might still be able to play, if you'd be willing to let me back in.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sheb, I have to ask you not to start United Assembly threads. I don't dictate what you guys do in the game but I would still prefer to have control over the thread itself, especially for archiving purposes and to declare game rules, and I recall putting my foot down about this very thing earlier.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Oh, my understanding was that we could, but there would be restriction on who can post in how many threads at the same time. Sure, I'll close it then.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that is correct, but I would still want to make the thread so that I could make that clear, especially since I've only really talked to you about it.

So let's discuss it in the thread: Would you guys rather have the committees all meet in the main thread or have their own separate threads, but you can only post in one at a time?

e: Also, great save with your post edit there. A+
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, I for one would support several thread.

BTW, I'd like to give my opinion about the too fast vs. too slow thing here. I think the game is both too fast and too slow. We're getting one crisis a day (And if we're not supposed to deal with all of them, why have the press lambast us), while the assembly's proceeding are slowed down by all kind of rules, some of which remains (Such as the one mandating a new budget every week).

The worst offender in this respect is the one-committee-at-a-time rule, that we removed. It slows everything to a grind. Moreover, since the pressure to act is so great (and players not sitting on the committee understandably want the committee to move fast and add more pressure), the committe must rush through things, paradoxally making the within-committe game way too fast. Witness the way 10ebbor10 had to rush the votes on the proposals.

This is way I want separate thread, AND letting people post in all threads at the same time. By basically doing parallel processing of the crisis, we can deal with everything, take our time so we don't have to rush things through and generally have more fun while keeping things clear.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would rather have everyone talking in the same thread at the same time, i dint think they will be much going on anyway so it a nice way for people to do some prioritizing. If you want to discuss politic you might miss people talking about children aid and so on and so forth.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I for one would support several thread.

BTW, I'd like to give my opinion about the too fast vs. too slow thing here. I think the game is both too fast and too slow. We're getting one crisis a day (And if we're not supposed to deal with all of them, why have the press lambast us), while the assembly's proceeding are slowed down by all kind of rules, some of which remains (Such as the one mandating a new budget every week).

The worst offender in this respect is the one-committee-at-a-time rule, that we removed. It slows everything to a grind. Moreover, since the pressure to act is so great (and players not sitting on the committee understandably want the committee to move fast and add more pressure), the committe must rush through things, paradoxally making the within-committe game way too fast. Witness the way 10ebbor10 had to rush the votes on the proposals.

This is way I want separate thread, AND letting people post in all threads at the same time. By basically doing parallel processing of the crisis, we can deal with everything, take our time so we don't have to rush things through and generally have more fun while keeping things clear.
Why would the press not lambast you? At least it's only an op-ed and not an actual article.

By the way, multiple threads would mean that if a delegate is on multiple running committees, they can only attend one.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Why? Why on Earth don't you want people to be able to post in mutliple thread simultaneously?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18