Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most improved feature  (Read 1462 times)

Valosar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most improved feature
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:18 am »

Hello all I'm starting this tread to kind of introduce myself and save hello. I've played Dwarf Fortress on and off since the days before Z levels were added (Couldn't say exactly when I started playing, all I know is it was very easy to flood the entire world with water or lava (Or both I guess if you're inventive) Things have come a very long way since then and even since the last time I played I'm amazed at the changes. One thing that struck me the most when I sat down to try DF2014 for the first time is that the trees span several Z levels now with their branches and leaves, AMAZING! I never even realized before that this was missing, but now that it is there I don't know how I lived without it. I know it is a simple visual addition (And seems to increase the amount of wood you get for chopping down trees) but it really makes the scene come alive for me. Also looking forward to playing with wheel barrows and mine carts. I saw a wheel barrow in my default load out and said "I Don't need no stinking wheel barrow!" Now I see my guys struggling to carry rocks and for some reason carrying entire barrels to the field to add 1 plump helmet, not sure what is going on there but I'm sure it will be tons of fun figuring it all out : )

What is one thing that has changed since you've first started playing that has really blown you away?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Most improved feature
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:45:52 am »

The addition of movement speed and combat speed opened up so many opportunities, I really love the branches it opened up.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Valosar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 01:23:25 am »

Yes the speed in this game does make for some very interesting combat scenarios. I love how the game simulates everything down to time, the amount of water in the area and individual organs and pain etc. Every time I think it has gotten as detailed as possible I am proven wrong. Also love how all these systems interact with each other for some hilarious bug reports that you'd never any where else. I believe I read a bug report one time about the temp being too high in certain areas causing all the water to boil and killing everything (may be wrong but it was something like that)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:58:47 am »

Two of the biggest improvements I see were to two systems that were completely changed for DF2010, and have slowly been improving in functionality since.

Healthcare
Military training

These were both upgrades from the 40d systems in terms of complexity, minus the fact that they didn't work.  They are now almost completely functional, fulfilling the original vision promised when we first saw them in 2010.  For the military, teacher/student skills and demonstrations actually work, equipment works reliably.  For healthcare, hospital supplies are fixed, soap works, wells work, dwarves that lost the ability to stand can be healed.  The only real issue here is that doctor skill mostly affects work speed rather than the quality of the procedure or chance for complications.

When I saw the trees, and especially the cavern trees of 2014, I was so goddamn happy.  I didn't expect to be this happy.  Partially because different tree types have completely different structures.  Awesome.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 12:51:50 pm »

Minecarts. I can get magma to the surface without an elaborate engineering project, AND I can maim goblins with fast-moving objects.

Valosar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 02:19:46 pm »

Yeah I think I got a secondary shock when I realized that the trees looked different depending on type, must say the game conveys a startlingly level of beauty with just a few ascii characters, but that has always been the way. I believe the last time I played heavily was right when the doctor and military updates were added but didn't quiet work. I never really cared of dwarves died any how but it is nice to see it is working now :  )

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:20:31 am »

Off of the top of my head, fort retirement. Being able to switch to Adventurer mode without completely screwing up the fort (e.g. stockpiles) is great. It's still a bit messy currently, with units (notoriously wagons) scattering anywhere they please, but it's very much an improvement over abandoning.

Now if only the new quest system weren't so broken and confusing, one's raised undead so disloyal, and crowded sites so laggy…
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:42:59 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 07:45:29 am »

instant eating and drinking. a complete godsend to productivity and makes more sense realistically.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.