Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No zombies in evil biomes?  (Read 1560 times)

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No zombies in evil biomes?
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:00 pm »

Hello, I am in a haunted biome, even though there are annoying murderous clouds, there are no zombies even though there are 47 people dead. It has been 2 in game years, why is there no zombies in my fortress.
Strike the earth!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: No zombies in evil biomes?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »

Evil biomes can have a variety of effects, among them are spawning as corpses, reanimation or zombie creation.

Zombie creation is by no means guaranteed, though, nor is anything else.  As far as I know, currently, embarking is the only way to find out what the effect(s) may be.

The term 'Haunted' refers to a combination of evilness and savage biome, not haunted in the traditional "things go bump in the night" kind of situation.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:15:05 pm »

It just means that you aren't in a reanimating biome.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:33:15 pm »

Hello, I am in a haunted biome, even though there are annoying murderous clouds, there are no zombies even though there are 47 people dead. It has been 2 in game years, why is there no zombies in my fortress.
As mentioned above, zombies arent a requirement for evil biomes.  And they come in three flavors when they do.

You can have husks and thralls, created by weather
You can have reanimation effects, where the dead revive
You can have zombie wildlife.

I guess I should ask what you are seeing as creatures.  Beak dogs and ogres?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 07:51:09 pm »

As mentioned above, zombies arent a requirement for evil biomes.  And they come in three flavors when they do.

You can have husks and thralls, created by weather
You can have reanimation effects, where the dead revive
You can have zombie wildlife.

I guess I should ask what you are seeing as creatures.  Beak dogs and ogres?
average animals.
Strike the earth!

Staklininkas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:53:21 pm »

It could all be to random chance. Maybe the RNG hates you?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:04:49 pm »

Ignore me, had 2 tabs open and posted in the wrong one.

Friends don't let friends try to multitask.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:13:08 pm by Tacomagic »

BloodAndIron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:05:24 pm »

It could all be to random chance. Maybe the RNG hates you?

I know that when I embarked in my current Untamed Wilds jungle with a volcano, I was expecting enormous gorillas, ferocious tigers, batshit crazy chimps, and murderous dinosaurs.

The most dangerous creature so far was a couple of Black Mambas, plus some Elephants once. Damn it, RNG, I wanted to have !!FUN!! On the plus side, I'm practically wiping my ass with gold, so I can make a dwarven El-Dorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dotsOGOLOHY

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 09:13:33 pm »

I don't suppose you had a recent tangle with a FB?  Could be contaminates spreading throughout the populace, maybe.  Have you tried bathing regiment for all the dorfs?

Alternatively, I know that you can get little fingers of other biomes that creep into neighboring biomes and aren't marked on the map.  I had a joyous wilds with a little bit of terrifying sticking down into it.  The embark was right on the border between the two, so likely the border wasn't a straight line.  I'm thinking not enough terrifying was inside the border for it to be flagged on the map.

Rains elf blood up there on a regular basis.  Haven't seen any syndrome dust up there yet, but it's proof of concept that you CAN have biome overlap without it showing on the initial embark selection screen.  It's within the realm of possibility that maybe you have only small number of evil tiles along one of your borders and they were contaminated with something that your dwarves are spreading to each other.
I'm not at a cave, every dwarf that has died was because of a cloud.
Strike the earth!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 09:14:29 pm »

I don't suppose you had a recent tangle with a FB?  Could be contaminates spreading throughout the populace, maybe.  Have you tried bathing regiment for all the dorfs?

Alternatively, I know that you can get little fingers of other biomes that creep into neighboring biomes and aren't marked on the map.  I had a joyous wilds with a little bit of terrifying sticking down into it.  The embark was right on the border between the two, so likely the border wasn't a straight line.  I'm thinking not enough terrifying was inside the border for it to be flagged on the map.

Rains elf blood up there on a regular basis.  Haven't seen any syndrome dust up there yet, but it's proof of concept that you CAN have biome overlap without it showing on the initial embark selection screen.  It's within the realm of possibility that maybe you have only small number of evil tiles along one of your borders and they were contaminated with something that your dwarves are spreading to each other.

Yeah, ignore me, I'm an idiot who can't keep his tabs straight.
I'm not at a cave, every dwarf that has died was because of a cloud.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 01:44:05 am »

Funny how i got the exact opposite problem. In my current world every evil embark seems to reanimate. I also didn't know this affects the whole embark even if only a part of it is evil, so many fortresses where lost to horse head hair corpses.