Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot embark on Human/Elf towns.  (Read 916 times)

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
Cannot embark on Human/Elf towns.
« on: September 14, 2014, 05:08:58 pm »

I have been trying since DF2012 to embark on a town, but I never can. I have a friend who says you can, and showed an image, but it doesn't help when my game flips me the middle finger while eating a sandwich asking me to try again... after searching through every tile of a large world.

Am I missing something here? Like, does it have to be a tiny town that I can fit the fort around, or what? This is driving me to the point of causing some !!FUN!! and much baby catapulting.
I MUST KNOW FOR THE SAKE OF DROWNING THE TOWN IN MAGMA TO APPEASE ARMOK.
Flaming Baby Catapult

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot embark on Human/Elf towns.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:11:57 pm »

You need DFHack's embark tools, with embark anywhere enabled. Human towns are great to embark on, as the human soldiers will fight alongside your dwarves in case of emergency. Lag is pretty bad sometimes, though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 05:13:04 pm »

You need DFHack's embark tools, with embark anywhere enabled. Human towns are great to embark on, as the human soldiers will fight alongside your dwarves in case of emergency. Lag is pretty bad sometimes, though.

Yeah, that asshole told me you didn't need any kind of modding.

Thank you, you kind soul.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 06:05:57 pm »

To be fair, there was a time long, long ago that it was possible without modding. But not for a long time now. That was before the cavern layers were a thing.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »

To be fair, there was a time long, long ago that it was possible without modding. But not for a long time now. That was before the cavern layers were a thing.

Well even so, he said he could THIS VERSION without mods, so I kinda want to kick him in the inside thigh, as kicking another man in the balls is just wrong... especially with my Superior Empathy.
I will feel the pain myself, and I DO NOT WANT THAT.
Flaming Baby Catapult

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:47:31 pm »

Terrible stuff in here :) Thats an uninformative friend you've got there ;) But yeah, DFHack! :> It is good fun to embark on populated sites.. My favorite thing to do was to embark 3x3 right on top of a fortress and then try to do one of three things:

1. My favorite option is to peacefully infest the map around, under, or even sneakily inside the fortress, without any of your population ever interacting with the original fort's inhabitants..

2. Same as the first one minus the subterfuge.. Peaceful co-habitation usually isn't possible since the fort-dwellers are angry red Hostile status before even seeing you, a lot of the time.. But, to me at least, it seemed like the fort leader/commander/creepy-diety usually is friendly, which can be pretty interesting if you can remove the other fort residents without angering them..

3. Full slaughter, of course :)

I wonder if you can retire and reclaim a DFHacked in-town fortress on this newer version, roll the time forward with each reclaim, and potentially see new living entities showing up at that fort?? Probably not, since I imagine it'd swap the site type from 'fortress' to a 'reclaim' and ruin any potential historic visitors :(