Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the big fat fat thread  (Read 4219 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the big fat fat thread
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:04:35 pm »

Anyways, that's needing its own thread. This thread isn't the fat thread.

we're making it happen

do what you will with this post

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: the big fat fat thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:08:12 pm »

PTW

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:10:48 pm »

While not obese, I am overweight. I lost 5 lbs this fortnight by stopping drinking lemonade and juice and had water instead.

PTW
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:13:46 pm »

Ptw, I guess.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »

While not obese, I am overweight. I lost 5 lbs this fortnight by stopping drinking lemonade and juice and had water instead.

PTW

That's nothing I once lost 5 kgs by taking a shit, and I'm skinny but I do have a potbelly.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. Being obese probably isn't the healthiest thing in the world. Making fat people feel bad about it doesn't particularly make their lives better. Telling people that they should find fat people physically attractive because it would be convenient for fat people if they did doesn't really change anything.

What is there to discuss?

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 01:08:43 pm »

Is being obese the unhealthy thing, or the lifestyle that leads to obesity? How much does genetics have to do with getting fat?

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 01:10:06 pm »

I think obesity isn't always black and white. For example, many bodybuilders have BMIs in excess of 30 and yet they are certainly not obese.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 01:11:08 pm »

BMI is stupid. I mean, really stupid. I'm amazed anyone ever took it seriously.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 01:12:52 pm »

It is a bit like IQ. It is great for graphs, although it doesn't reflect reality accurately at all.

Shame it seems to be used a lot anyway.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »

Well, to try and establish some rails and become a rich entrepreneur I would like to say that as a big fat fatty myself I find the concept of a "fat acceptance movement" hilarious and unnecessary, but I have to say that LW's post seemed...very hostile.

I'm particularly perplexed by his admonition of calorie counting. I mean that IS how people fight obesity, by taking in less calories. I'm on a diet myself and while I'm not calorie COUNTING, I am at least estimating my intake and attempting to take in less then average (I THINK a normal intake is 2000 a day or so?)

While there is certainly more to HEALTHY eating, when the objective is just to lose weight calories are literally the only thing worth looking at.

I think if any diets are worth admonishing its those ones that attempt to convince people they can eat whatever they want as long as it doesn't have carbs or sodium or etc.

EDIT: Oh and the "most disgusting thing" is overfeeding children? What about those parents who molest them or microwave them? Those are plenty worse I would think.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:27:45 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 01:25:38 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. Being obese probably isn't the healthiest thing in the world. Making fat people feel bad about it doesn't particularly make their lives better. Telling people that they should find fat people physically attractive because it would be convenient for fat people if they did doesn't really change anything.

What is there to discuss?

A thread about people and their weight issues in a non-judgmental environment? AND as a topic where fat people can be fat and like it?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 01:31:39 pm »

I think there's an issue of metabolism as well. I've always been one of those people who can pretty much eat whatever the fuck I want and my weight doesn't fluctuate more than 5 pounds around a stable weight. I'm homeostatic for the most part -- if I start to edge up in weight, I typically lose appetite. If I start to drop too low, I turn ravenous for a day.

Not everyone (okay, most people) don't have that luxury. And some have low metabolisms such to where even if they eat sensibly, they gain weight.

That said, whatever its causes, obesity *is* something to be avoided where possible. It has serious long-term health impacts.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

Is being obese the unhealthy thing, or the lifestyle that leads to obesity?

Both? Being five foot and 200 pounds is going to be a problem regardless of why one is that way.

How much does genetics have to do with getting fat?

A fair amount. Some people win the genetic lottery, and have an easy time being thin, tall, beautiful, intelligent, etc. But it's counterproductive to use the fact that some people have it easy as an excuse to create problems for yourself. if someone says "Bob is naturally thin, and I'm not. That's not fair, so I'm going to gorge myself on cheesy-poofs every day and never leave the couch!" he's only hurting himself.

A lot of factors contribute to health. Genetics is one factor, yes. Behavior is a factor, yes. Finance is a factor. If you buy cheap, unhealthy food because that's all you can afford, there are consequences to that regardless of how fair it is or isn't that those are your circumstances. And there's research that suggests that things like behavior, environment and diet can alter gene expression. So someone who grows up in an unhealthy environment, might have a more difficult time even if they make healthy decisions later in life.

But whether we say of someone who is fat that "it's their fault" or "it's not their fault" or "well, it's kind of their fault, but they got unlucky and they really are trying to overcome problems that not everyone has" it doesn't change the fact that they're fat.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »

I think a large part of the problem is the way American eating and transport habits are set up. I live on a lot of basic grains (oatmeal, rice and beans, rye toast) and dairy, and walk everywhere (sometimes five or six miles a day- my campus is very spread out). I'm already pretty thin, and my mother is actually worried I'll lose weight. It doesn't help that while food that makes you gain weight is cheap, food that makes you gain weight but doesn't make you feel like crap is a bit harder to come by. But I feel way more productive on rye toast and yogurt than I would on breakfast burritos, and it's a very very cheap diet. (I also have an ascetic streak with regard to just about everything except books. In America, that's rare.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: [1] 2